Homemade Gingerbread Playdough + Playdough Mats

Looking for a creative gift to give to young children or a fun project to make with your children? How about homemade playdough?

There are so many different varieties you can make, including: Gingerbread Playdough, Chocolate Playdough, Peppermint Playdough, Candy Cane Playdough, and Pumpkin Pie Playdough.

Plus, you could laminate some Gingerbread Playdough Mats for extra fun. (There are many other free playdough mats available online. Just do a quick Google search to pull up dozens you can print.)

Comments

1. peever says

Just to let you know, both the chocolate and peppermint play dough links go to the gingerbread mats one instead. :)

2. Sara Lester says

The links for chocolate playdough and peppermint playdough just take me to the gingerbread mat page. I’d really like to see the chocolate recipe… Thanks!

We’ve never used play dough mats….think we’ll have to give them a try. Play dough is a huge hit in our house this should just add to the fun.

4. Cari Payne says

I made the gingerbread recipe today because I had already had everything to make it. Had to add a little more flour when kneeding it, but it turned out perfect! The kids are loving it :0)

5. Caterina Mangano says

I love this idea! My son’s class is doing a gingerbread theme and I would like to make this as gift for each child. Where did you purchase the containers and gingerbread man cookie cutter?
    Thanks so much,
    Caterina

6. Ellen says

I will have to try playdough mats. My little girls would love them. I would love to make the playdough mixes but as it is, my two year old likes to eat our salty (thankfully homemade) playdough, so I think making it look edible would be going a bit far!

7. Bobbie Jo says

I love this idea and did it today – but I have to say the Bev Bos playclay recipe is exhausting to make compared to another recipe I have – with the same outcome. Its from Mix and Match Ideas for Preschool Ministry:
    Mix: 2 cups flour, 1 cup salt, 1 tablespoon alum…then add: 2 cups boiling water, 3 tablespoons vegetable oil and food coloring. After all ingredients are mixed (and slightly cooled), knead well for four minutes. This makes a lot less but I’m sure you can tweak it to make more – but even the effort to make this multiple times seems easier to me then standing over the stove trying to stir the clay into consistency…arm workout :)