21 Days to a More Organized Christmas: Turn on the Christmas Music

Christmas would not be Christmas to me without wonderful Christmas music playing in the background. When I was growing up, we always had a special stack of Christmas records and cassettes (yes, remember those?) that we pulled out to play only at Christmas time. Pulling out the Christmas records and cassettes always signaled that Christmas time was really here.

We decorated the Christmas tree, baked cookies for the neighbors, made homemade gifts for the grandparents, drank hot cocoa, wrapped Christmas presents, and celebrated our family gatherings with Christmas music playing in the background. It set the tone for so many special memories.

Today, we’ve traded the records and cassettes for MP3s, but Christmas still wouldn’t be the same without the music. I like to buy a new album or two each year to add to our family’s collection. And then we rotate playing our Christmas music all December long.

Here are three of my favorite Christmas albums:

A Hymnworks Christmas

Merry Little Christmas — this album is a new one for us this year and we’ve loved it. You can download a free song here.

He is Born — This CD is by my sister so I happen to be a little biased. :) You can listen to sample clips from most of the songs here.

What are your favorite Christmas albums? I’d love to hear!

Practical Application

If you haven’t done so already, pull out your Christmas CDs or download some free Christmas music and have it playing in the background at your home over the next 10 days. You can also create a Christmas station on Pandora to have playing on your computer or listen to Abiding Radio’s livestream Christmas station.

photo by yvestown

Comments

Your sister’s album?? How fun!! (And I bet your kids LOVE it!)

I play Andrew Peterson’s Behold the Lamb of God album every single day during the Christmas season. I just can’t help myself.

And for fun, upbeat instrumentals, I love A Spectacular Bluegrass Christmas.

Can’t wait to see what everyone’s favorites are!

• sarah says

We also play Andrew Peterson’s album, Behold the Lamb of God, every single day … it is by far our favorite album!

The Josh Groban and Michael Buble Christmas albums are also both outstanding.

2. Ashley says

Ages and ages ago, I got a free CD in a box of cereal of Lorie Line playing Christmas music. I play it every year while I’m decorating. She’s a pianist, and her rendition of Carol of the Bells is KICKIN’! The whole CD is actually pretty good.

I still couldn’t find the He is Born cd! I wanted to hear some samples! I went to The WILDS when I was a senior in high school!

• Ashley says

I love Andrew! I’m only sorry he isn’t more well known. His music is pure poetry. I especially love his song Hosanna. :)

4. JennyLeigh says

I love the Vince Guaraldi Trio’s “Charlie Brown Christmas,” the Carpenters’ “Christmas Portrait,” and Kenny G’s, “Miracles.” I have about twenty Christmas albums, but these are the ones I listen to first.

We have Jackie Evancho’s first Christmas album, and can’t wait to get her new one, Charlotte Church Dream a Dream, and anything Bing Crosby!
    Claire

6. Nichole K says

My kids love listening to the Grinch soundtrack and I love my Glee: The Christmas Album. But I will always have a special place in my heart for the Amy Grant Home for Christmas and Avalon Joy albums. Christmas just isn’t the same without the music.

I like Martina Mcbride and Antrim Mennonite Choir. I prefer lyrics with the music over instrumental! I like to learn the words and I like my kiddos to hear the words, too!

8. Kelly says

I could listen to Josh Groban’s Christmas album all day long! Same with Bing Crosby- my dad always had it playing when I was little.

I’ve been playing instrumental holiday CDs in my classroom this week- the kids are all buzzing, so I’m giving them a calm Christmas fix while they work. I found some great CDs at the dollar store and Walmart a few years ago!

My husband just bought me “Now That’s What I Call Christmas 4″ and we usually don’t participate in the craziness that is “NOW” compilations but this one is great. It’s 2-disc, the first one being pop artists of today singing Christmas classics and the second one is purely classic artists. I love it and there is about 40 songs!

10. Jennifer says

Well, hands down, it has to be Amy Grant’s Christmas Album….the one that has “Tennessee Christmas” on it. I think it was her first one. My favorite songs on there are “Emmanuel” and her rendition of “O Little Town of Bethlehem.” This is the first CD I pull out out of my Christmas collection each year. I have vivid memories of my mom putting this record on our big ‘ol stereo console thing in our living room and then the baking would commence! We always made Christmas cookies and treats while listening to this album. It holds alot of special memories for me. And my children love listening to it as well!

11. Jennifer says

I also LOVE the Narada Christmas music….I have 2 CD’s and they are beautiful…just instrumental and magical. My dad had these tapes when my sister and I were little and one song in particular, “I saw 3 ships”, I think…I remember that we would say it sounded like little fairies flying around in the forest. The things you remember…..:)

12. Anna J. says

I grew up listening to a compilation tape from Reader’s Digest. It brings back so many memories – apparently valuable to many since I’ve looked for CD copies on ebay to find out that they cost almost $100!

My latest favorite (for the past year or two) is Our Daily Bread’s Majestic Christmas. It’s mostly instrumental, but even the few songs that are on it are done beautifully. In fact, I started listening to lots of Our Daily Bread music through Spotify, and I love it all!

14. Heather says

Christmas with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.
    Best rendition of “Angels We Have Heard on High” ever! I get chills every single time I listen. The kids love it also.

Julie Andrews Greatest Christmas Songs is another great one – listened to it as a kid on a record.

15. Cara says

Enya’s version of O Come O Come Emmanuel is my fav this season. Gives me cold chills it’s so beautiful.

16. Daina says

The one I wait for all year is Sufjan Steven’s Songs for Christmas. I also love Peaceful Christmas — soothing and sweet instrumentals.

I think those are the only ones we have on CD. The rest are all on those cassettes you mention — or records! We got a hand-me-down Wee Sing Christmas cassette, and my toddler and I are BOTH learning new Christmas songs.

17. Sheila says

Alan Jackson “Let it be Christmas.” I LOVE IT. I also really love The Statler Brothers “Christmas Card.”

I have loved the Selah album the last several years, but last year I was given Andrew Peterson’s “Behold the Lamb” album and WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is AWESOME!!! If you have not listened to it, I HIGHLY recommend it. The “Labor of Love” and “Deliver Us” songs are some of the best Christmas songs I have ever heard.

19. Clare C. says

I love any of the Amy Grant Christmas albums, (I think I have them all!) and we also have various versions of Handel’s Messiah. After reading all of these comments, I think I’m going to have to check out Andrew Peterson as well…

20. Naomi says

No way! Crystal, Brigette is your sister? I went through music classes with her in Indianapolis! Small world… :)