12 Do-It-Yourself Projects I Plan to Attempt in 2012

As I mentioned yesterday, I committed to try 12 Do-It-Yourself Experiments in 2011. Choosing 12 projects, writing them down, and publicly posting about it turned out to be excellent for me as it motivated me to actually follow through with trying new things instead of just intending to try something and never getting around to it.

I decided to challenge myself to try 12 new things again in 2012. However, this time, I mostly picked things that were a little more “in my comfort zone”. I figured I didn’t need to repeat the frustrating rag-quilt saga again. :)

So, after lots of debating, here’s my list:

12 Do-It-Yourself Projects I Plan to Attempt in 2012

January: Homemade Hair Detangler

February: Homemade Naan

March: Homemade Facewash

April: Homemade Pop-Tarts

May: Homemade English Muffins

June: Homemade Wheat Thins

July: Homemade Bagels in the Bread Machine

August: Homemade Moisturizing Kitchen Hand Scrub

September: Homemade Whole-Wheat Pretzel Bites

October: Homemade Hand Lotion

November: Homemade Vick’s Vapor Rub

December: Homemade Bubble Bath

As I did last year, I’ll be blogging about how each DIY experiment goes so you can follow along with my successes and flops.

Have you set any goals for new things you want to try in 2012? I’d love to hear about it!

Comments

I am making a different soup each month;
    January Chickpea Soup a la Provencal
    February Bouillabaise
    March St. Patrick’s Irish Cheddar
    April Italian White Bean & Spinach
    May Chicken Soup with Rice
    June Pasta e Fagioli
    July Shrimp & Con Chowder
    August Gazpacho
    September Swiss Chard & Lentil Soup
    October Veggie Soup
    November Potato Leek Soup
    December Yellow Pea Soup

Other than the Potato Soup and Veggie Soup, these are all new to me.

This sounds like good fun these goals! I think homemade is just really awesome! Since I got a new processor I am going to do the same on a different level though methinks! Good luck Crystal!

3. Billene says

All these sound like great ideas and would be fun to attempt. But due my work scheduled and the cost involved it would probably be less expensive to buy readymade.

Hi Crystal, What a great list! It’s inspiring me to make a list of 12 things to accomplish next year. Thank you for including my lotion recipe. October will be a great month to try it as the weather dries up! Best wishes to you and your beautiful family for 2012!

5. Katie says

I have been making the homemade facewash recipe from simpleorganizedliving.com for a few months now and I love it. It’s MUCH cheaper and works great. You’ll probably have to tweak the ratio of castor oil to sunflower oil according to your skin type. Too much castor oil will make your skin too dry. Good luck!

• Debbie says

I started oil cleansing last summer and love it. I ended up having to ditch castor oil all together. Turns out I’m sensitive to it and it was causing more acne for me. I just use straight jojoba oil now and my skin has never been more clear.

• Laura says

I used to find an inexpensive jojoba oil at Trader Joe’s, but it hasn’t been on the shelves in my store lately. Coconut oil is great. I use that about half of the time.

6. Riann says

I have been using the oil cleansing method since Feb and I love it! I used my old face wash a few times and it made my face feel so tight and dry. I think the homemade hand lotion looks great!

7. KimH says

Those all look like fun inspiring projects. I enjoyed doing a few of the ones you did last year and routinely make a few on your list this year.. Also enjoying the comments & links from your readers..

8. Katja says

You don’t need a baking stone to make naan. I do it all the time, in a skillet!! Look up the Cooks Illustrated recipe for flatbread, it’s ridiculously easy. Ridiculously.

9. Robyn says

I’ve been making naan for a while now and we love it. I make the dough in the bread machine and bake it on my pizza stone. If you have an Indian grocery store near you they’ll sell maida flour, which seems to be more finely ground than my all-purpose flour. Either works just fine, but results are slightly different — just in case you feel adventurous!

10. Jodie says

Thanks for all of the helpful recipes and links! I can’t wait to try some of these. This year I am really going to focus on finding tasty ways to eat the “food” that is growing naturally around me. I live in a semi-rural area on the west coast of British Columbia and berries, greens, and mushrooms are not hard to find once you know what you are looking for. Last year I tried digging up dandelion roots for dandelion coffee, which was definitely too much work, but I have been using the tops for dandelion tea to detoxify my body. Now my next project is tapping the maple trees in my yard!!

11. Beth says

Have been doing the oil cleansing method for over a year now and love it! Instead of hand lotion though I do half unsweetened coconut flakes and half sugar and massage after I wash my hands (not every time but at least 1x/day) and then rinse and pat dry after. Works great and doesn’t leave my hands oily after. Love your list and b/c of your’s from last year and this year, now have my own! Thank you!

What a great list, Crystal! I love the idea of trying one new thing a month and being deliberate about it, and your choices are fantastic. I hadn’t seen the lotion one yet. Definitely need to check that one out.

I think it is so awesome how you do all these new projects to try and save money and that you share them with us. I have decided to put together my own list of things to try this year. You have helped me find new was to save money. Thank you!!

14. Nikki K says

I’ll admit it. When I read this post I got really excited. I’ve already skipped ahead and made the Hair Detangler and Facewash. Both are great! Can’t wait to try the rest.