Sometimes, you just have to give yourself grace… and order Subway! :)

You know how I ran a guest post all about the benefits of menu-planning last week? Well, I totally dropped the ball on menu-planning for the first two days of this week.

I had all these great visions of maybe doing an Eat From the Pantry Week and blogging about it. But I didn’t make it very far with that idea–especially after I opened my fridge and freezer and found no motivation whatsoever to pull together meals.

In fact, for the sake of complete honesty here, I’ll tell you I’ve not showered in two days nor have I made it out of my pajamas. (You will be very happy to know that I did change into another set of pajamas, so at least I had clean pajamas on, if that counts for something! :))

There were some delays with our flights coming back from Relevant and we didn’t end up making it home until after 9 p.m. on Sunday evening. So my plans for getting things unpacked, laundry started, and a to-do list made for Monday morning went straight out the window.

I slept in on Monday in an attempt to catch up on multiple nights of little sleep, got up late, and then Monday was a blur of playing catch-up and homeschooling. I had an idea for dinner, but 5 p.m. came and went without me pulling anything out of the freezer to thaw.

So guess what I did? Oh yes, I know it goes against everything I’ve preached here again and again… but I called Jesse and asked if he could pick up Subway.

I know, you probably just fell out of your chair. But it’s true.

And I decided I wasn’t even going to feel guilty about it. Instead, I enjoyed the yummy sub and decided to switch Friday night’s usual dinner out for Monday and call it even. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do and give yourself grace for doing it, instead of feeling like a failure.

However, I did make myself pull together a last-minute menu plan for the rest of the week this afternoon so that I actually had a plan at 5 p.m. tonight! Here’s my very simple menu plan for this week:

Breakfasts

Granola bars
Cereal x 2
Steel Cut Oats with dried cranberries
Pumpkin Ginger Waffles
Toasted bagels, scrambled eggs
Granola

Lunches

Hard-boiled eggs, pasta, peas
Carrots, hard-boiled eggs, granola bars
PB&J, carrot sticks, apple slices
Macaroni & Cheese, applesauce
Tossed salad hard-boiled eggs, feta cheese, and dried cranberries
Leftovers x 2

Snacks

Fruit/veggies
Chocolate Banana Bread
Cheese & Crackers

Dinners

Subway :)
Barbecue Chicken, potatoes, steamed veggies
Chicken Parmesan Casserole, Easy Italian Breadsticks in the Bread Machine, fruit salad
Cheesy Chicken & Rice Bake, steamed veggies, fruit
Cheese Ravioli, leftover breadsticks, fruit salad
Dinner at extended family’s house
Dinner with friends (we’re bringing a fruit salad)

Freezer Cooking

Pumpkin Ginger Waffles
Homemade Applesauce
Cheesy Chicken & Rice Bake

What’s on your menu this week? Share details and/or your link to your menu plan in the comments.

Comments

1. rachael says

So, how do I say this…..sometimes I leave your site totally depressed. I love this site because of all the tips, ideas and deals. However, sometimes I leave thinking, “good grief, she’s perfect. She has the perfect house, perfect wardrobe, perfect budget, perfect snacks, perfect games for her kids, perfect meals both in the freezer and on the table….etc” And I turn around and look and my messy house and yes, I’m depressed. So, THANK YOU for showing us you ARE human and occasionally eat fast food and stay in your pjs – and are somewhat like the rest of us. (however, I still want to be just like you when I grow up. :)) And yes, I’m still in my pajamas as I type this. LOL! =D

• Meredith says

I actually used to feel depressed when I left this site. I realized one day that my personality is totally different than Crystals. We also have different kids, different religions, different husbands, different food likes, different diets, different cities, etc. I could go on and on. Yet, I find myself coming back for the tips, deals, and to be inspired to bring my perfect in my different life.

2. Ania says

It is a break well earned – the Relevant recap and photo’s turned out great and you did an awesome job with putting the tables together. Im sure all of your readers wish we were there – but your continued hard work and great posts are an inspiratiion to us all. Keep up the great work and Congratulations on the relsease of your book – we wish you much success and many blessings.

3. Ashley - Embracing Beauty says

I LOVE you! I thought I was the only one who occasionally skipped a shower and lived in pjs. I really feel a such a relief. It’s nice to know that other people have days like I do. Give grace to yourself…I love that! Thank you for sharing. :)

4. Blaire Ruch says

It takes a SUPER woman to be real about how the day is going, to listen to your body, to take into account how atypical things have been with being out of town, and to sense what is best for your family at that moment. So glad you give yourself grace! AND, by switching your normal Friday dinner out to Monday, you really didn’t even affect your dining out budget anyways! Now, if you start going into NEXT week’s dining out budget tonight… ;) preaching to myself here too! just ask my husband!

5. Bri says

Amen! Take-out can sometimes be an answer to prayers. Not to mention, I think you hold yourself to a standard that few people do with your menu planning, goals, homeschooling, blogging, etc. Remember, it’s okay to take a moment and just eat take-out in your pjs. We all do!

Nope! I didn’t fall out of my chair…but I did give you a virtual “high five”. The reality of our lives, our schedules, our goals and our missions is that flexiblity is often called for. Otherwise it is rigid and who wants that? We all operate best on our beaten paths and yours is structured and organized. I find the times I have to be flexible and deviate a bit, I am then even more focused and intent on the things that help me and my family do what we do. Grace sums it up and we too often are the last ones to offer up to ourselves.

And for the record. I grabbed a quick shower this morning after 3 days…(hubby out of town…)

7. SandyH says

All the good feelings you get from being perfectly on track go right out the window if you let yourself get down over an occassional sandwich out. It is NOT a big deal in the scheme of things. Life happens. And part of being a happy and productive mom is realizing that!

You do great!

8. Patti says

Maybe it is my age ( over 50 ) but it makes me sad to think anyone would feel guilty if their meal plan goes out the window or their kitchen has clutter. Life is much more than being perfect or a “good little girl”. Take it from a daughter of a perfectionist…we don’t look back and are happy that our homes were spotless or our meals were presented like a magazine cover. We wish our Moms had been real.

It just proves that you are human, and hey, I’m sure the kids enjoyed the little change of pace as well! Thank God for Subway, right? :-)

10. Kathy says

I love it! We did the same thing the other night – thank goodness for $5.00 footlongs!! (And so thankful that our kids actually eat Subway…yess!)

11. ashley turner says

wow that sounds like me this week! moving hit me hard :) ran out of freezer food. :)
    That chicken parm looks great! I am putting it on next weeks menu

If you didn’t have days like that, no one would believe you were an honest person.

I find it shocking that someone would even consider feeling guilty about Subway. For eating out, it’s a fairly good value (when you order the $5 footlongs) and it’s not horrible for you.

I allow myself off the hook once a week and try my hardest on the other days. I really feel like we can’t be super women ALL of the time. 95% of the time will do! :P

13. Jen says

If I were to not make dinner at all for days in a row, I might start to feel a little guilty I guess. But one night of subway? Sounds like life to me!

When I’m feeling guilty about not providing a healthy homemade dinner my husband always says we eat great almost every night so not to worry about it.
    Subway’s a great choice. Much, much healthier (depending on the sub) than many other fast food/take home meals.
    We do our best, so we shouldn’t beat ourselves up over not meeting our own expectations.

Girl you amaze me! I keep telling my husband about all that you accomplish each week. I can’t seem to get my house cleaned…let alone blog, grocery shop, and keep it all going. You are inspiring!

16. Angelina Triplett says

Did you at least use your subway card for future savings? When I have a day like that I stop at Krogers (across the street from subway) pick up a gift card so I can get fuel points. Double savings while killing your budget! :)

17. Jen says

Thank you, thank you for “keeping it real”. I look at your schedule and wonder how on earth you do all you do. Thanks for your honesty and willingness to share!

18. Jen says

Thanks for keeping it real! And for your honesty. I love the PJ’s and showering part. Sometimes we just can’t get around to the basics of life, and that’s ok! :)

19. Heidi says

Thanks for your honesty! Loved hearing about calling your hubby to pick up subs! We, as moms, need to embrace flexibility & grace! (:

20. Angela says

It’s good to know that I am not the only mom that just has to pause. I thought I was the only one that did that.
    I also read the posts about being depressed. I will say that I felt funny being here because I must work and my job is stable and secure and I have lots of opportunity for advancement so I can’t quit, we wouldn’t survive financially. So it is hard reading these sites if you are career woman who has to work. But, I try to do the best I can. I wish there was a site for women like me.

• Angela says

Thanks for responding and I am sorry if my message implied anything negative. I read quite a few of these sites and sometimes it does make a mom feel sad that she can’t do all these things. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love this site, the information-learning new ways to save money, and the inspiration. I just feel bad sometimes. But I love you and the site. I am here daily and sometimes more.
        I am not a crafty person. I have to pack a lunch for my son, he is a picky eater. I started with cookie cutters to make his sandwiches into nice little dinosaurs, stars, etc. It took so much of the bread off, I gave up and just started cutting squares. But thank God that he still loves them. I am the best mom I can be.
        Thanks for caring enough to respond. We all love you here! Have a wonderful evening.

21. Stephanie says

We just got power back after five days last night at 10pm. After eating up the fridge/freezer for every meal and trying not to have any food spoil ( we lost a little) we declared victory and my husband came home from work yesterday with surprise pizza for dinner. We savored every bite and it was good :)

22. Shannon says

Thanks for the Chocolate Banana Bread recipe!!! We used coconut oil(from the great deal on Amazon a few weeks back) in place of the butter and it was fantastic!