15-Minute Freezer Cooking: Cookie Dough Baked Oatmeal

This recipe was really quick and easy to whip up. I modified the original recipe some (no surprise there!) and took it times six so it would make enough for a 9×13-inch pan.

The final result was pretty good, though we didn’t love it. I think it was the bananas that made it a little on the weird side.

Yes, I know, we love bananas and chocolate when they are in desserts such as Black Bottom Banana Bars or Chocolate Banana Bread, but they just gave a little odd flavor and consistency to baked oatmeal.

I’m thinking we’d like it better if we used our regular baked oatmeal recipe and just added in chocolate chips for a twist.

But the good news is that we ate half the pan for breakfast and I froze the other half (cut in squares and stuck in a freezer bag) for breakfast next week. So this 15-Minute Freezer Cooking project actually made it into the freezer, unlike yesterday’s project. :)

Comments

1. Meghan V. says

How are the dishes in the 15min FC sessions compared to the 1hr? Dishes are not my favorite thing to do (even though I have a dishwasher). Is it worth pulling out all the mixing bowls and accessories everyday instead of just once a week?

That looks delicious. What if you nixed the bananas, added some caramel, and more chocolate? Could make for a to-die-for chocolatey dessert… -the sweet tooth in us all

3. Candice says

It could be that our taste buds are just different, but I LOVED this when I made it a few days ago. I would suggest maybe cooking it in individual mugs or mini muffin tin rather than a 9×13, and not tweaking the recipe???

4. Katie says

I made this last night with banana instead of applesauce. I thought the banana was good because it added flavor to the plain oatmeal since I didn’t add a lot of chocolate chips. I thought it was yummy, but my husband didn’t like it.

5. Coby says

We tried this for breakfast this morning. I also used banana. I liked it ok, it wasn’t great. My 4 year old refused to eat it after 2 trial bites and he loves oatmeal and chocolate.

6. Diane says

I like the idea of your regular baked oatmeal + chocolate chips (or without, since I really like that recipe anyway).

7. alissa says

We made this for breakfast this morning. I used the applesauce instead of the bananas, and I didn’t have any sweetener other than brown sugar. I put a little less than the recipie called for and It was really good! My kids also liked it. Maybe try it again with the applesauce :).

8. michelle says

my favorite baked oatmeal recipe has raisins and mini chocolate chips. The mini chips spread the chocolate flavor out into every bite without costing too many calories. 1 c raisins and 1/2 c mini chocolate chips for a 9 x 13 pan.

9. Heather says

When I made baked oatmeal a few weeks ago it turned out very dry, bland, and chewy…Is it supposed to be crunchy? I have never had it before I tried making it and I’m a little lost! It smelled amazing, but I just wish the texture was better.

• Ellen says

yes, baked oatmeal is more like an oatmeal cake sometimes more than it is traditional oatmeal. Some people pour milk over it and it eat like a cereal. I personally prefer the texture, but if you’re used to traditional oatmeal, it can take some getting used to!

• Julie in IN says

Try adding extra eggs, honey and milk; we like our baked oatmeal a bit moist; if you add enough eggs, it has a bit of a custard texture on the bottom.

• Ann B says

I usualy let it sit in the fridge overnight. I assume that this would allow the oats to soak up the liquid and soften them up. It always turns out soft and cake like.

I made it yesterday but I did not have applesauce or bananas so I used a little extra oil and milk. It turned out okay but not that great.

11. Ellen says

We made this yesterday, using applesauce, brown sugar, and a little bit of peanut butter. We loved it! I also like this particular recipe because it doesn’t use eggs (we have egg allergies).

12. Julie in IN says

We tried our traditional oatmeal casserole/cake breakfast recipe with chocolate chips a while back and it was a hit!

This baked oatmeal with blackberries is a-m-a-z-i-n-g! We tried it when there were blackberries marked down from $3 to $.25 on the reduced rack. http://bakedbree.com/healthy-baked-oatmeal

13. charity crawford says

The picture looks really nice! It at least looks yummy even if it is not a 5 star. Nice Job!!!!

14. Evelyn says

I made it this morning for breakfast. I used the apple sauce. We liked it even better this afternoon when it was nice and cold!

The picture makes it look amazing!! :) And…the added whipped cream and chocolate chips probably didn’t hurt the flavor! I’ve just started making baked oatmeals in the past year and LOVE them! I believe you’re the one who brought them to my attention, so thanks!

I definitely would have thought of this for dessert but for breakfast is such a good idea! Bananas and chocolate, Mmmm. Would go so great with a cup of coffee. I think I may have to try. Thanks for the idea!

17. Angie D says

We’re struggling over here with eating our oatmeal. It just dawned on me that chocolate chips might help! Thanks! When we have it, vanilla ice cream helps get it down too. =) I fried some leftovers in oatmeal patties the other morning and served with syrup. I can’t say any of us LOVED them, but it was a cheap breakfast!

• Melodie says

Not if I can help it!!! LOL! We go on withdrawl at my house if I run out before our monthly shopping trip to Sam’s. But I try not to put us through such overwhelming trauma. :)

I made this recipe with the applesauce variation instead of banana and it was delicious! I had it for dessert and it was to die for. For the liquid i used part non-fat milk and part carmel coffee creamer. YUM