Homemade Go-Gurts

Update: The recipe for Homemade Yogurt in the Crockpot is here.

Guest post by Angie

My kids barely know what a Go-Gurt is, but since I’ve been making yogurt by the crockpot full, I thought making homemade yogurt tubes would be a fun way to eat it up as well as travel with.

First, I made a batch of yogurt in my crockpot (I add in 3/4 cup powdered milk to the initial milk to improve the consistency). Milk in my area is about $3/gallon and I usually use a half-gallon, so between the milk and the two other ingredients I used (3/4 cup powdered milk and ½ cup yogurt), I estimate it costs me about $2 for a half gallon of yogurt.

I divided it into four different bowls and added one of the following to each bowl:

* Strawberry jam (1/2 cup) and sugar (1/4 cup)
* Chocolate pudding mix (1 small box)
* Vanilla pudding mix (1 small box)
* Lime juice (1/4 cup) and sugar (1/4 cup)

(Two of the flavors)

Then, I put ½ cup of the flavored yogurt in a SNACK-size baggie and squeezed out the air.  I folded it over and secured it with tape.  After laying them down flat on a cookie sheet (shown is a mini bar pan), I put them in the freezer.

When they were frozen, I cut off the end with some scissors and my kids (and I) did a happy dance.

I made 22 “go-gurts” from the batch of yogurt and they came out to be about $.09/piece.

You can also make homemade popsicles with these ingredients, but in the baggies, they were basically spill-proof and easy to travel with—which is what I was hoping for!

Angie is a homeschooling mom of four, a lover of the Lord, coffee, books (including Quickbooks), and all things frugal and DIY.

Comments

I used to LOVE Go-Gurts but they were too expensive so we only got them for special occasions. I just might make some of these for myself this week!

I’ve been doing crock pot yogurt for a while posted here, http://momonamission.me/?p=2066, It’s really, really easy and I don’t take the temperature and yada yada, my three-year-old helps. I use vanilla pudding as a thickener sometimes. It flavors the yogurt which my tween daughter likes. I add all fruit jam and vegetable puree to make homemade Yo baby meals for our baby. I’ve been wanting to make homemade gogurts for a while; this inspired me! Thanks for posting.

3. Nicole says

The yogurt looks so yummy, great job! I never have had much success in freezing homemade yogurt, though. It always tasted grainy to me. :) But it sounds like you found a way that it works for you, so way to go!

4. T says

This is why I love your website. I had no idea I could make yogurt in a crockpot! I’m going to try this soon. My kids eat yogurt like mad. I followed the links and eventually ended up at a dairy free yogurt recipe which will work great for my lactose intolerant family. I can’t wait to try the apple butter in a crockpot recipe as well. Thanks for all of the great ideas!

5. chelsea says

I’ve been making yogurt for my family for about 6 months now, but I use our yogurt maker. I’ll definitely have to try the crock pot method!

Superb! Wonderful! Can’t wait to try the go-gurts. But I am really, really excited about the slow cooker yogurt recipe. I have 2 yogurt makers that are just too fussy to bother with, but I love my slow cooker.

7. Ellen says

I know when I make yogurt in the crock pot it only last about a week. When you freeze it like go-gurt how long will it last? Thanks!

• Wendi S. says

Just thought I would let everyone know that Amazon has reuseable push up containers that are great for making homemade go-gurts. They are called Norpro Silicone Ice Pop Set. They are around $10 for a set of 4, but they get great reviews and my family loves them.

8. Margaret says

Great idea, but just one problem: freezing kills the yogurt culture that is so good for us. But hey…..a little freezing now and then won’t hurt. :-)

9. Sheila says

Crystal you need to add a My Recipe Box (like allrecipes.com) to your site!! There’s so many great recipes I want to try that I forget which one I REALLY planned to try next. This one would go in mine =-)

• shawn'l says

THERE IS ONE!!!! Go to “From My Kitchen” in the brown bar at the top. In the drop down menu there is a “Recipes” tab with all the recipes I have been looking for!!!!

• Sheila says

I’ve been using Crystal’s list in the “From My Kitchen”, but the My Recipes Box on Allrecipes.com is a place I can bookmark recipes on that site and come back and try. Crystal has so many on her site I’d like to be able to bookmark them like that and come back to try them. Yes I know I can simply create a folder in my own bookmarks, but …….. :) But thanks for making sure I knew she had a list of recipes on the site :)

10. Susan says

Could you flavor them with small boxes of jello? Or would that mess up the consistency? My kids really like the crazy flavors – cotton candy, blue raspberry, etc.

• Angie D says

I don’t think the jello would mess up the consistency. The biggest issue may be getting the flavor right b/c it will have that yogurt “tang” to it. Anything fruity should work, though.

11. Ashley says

I JUST made my first batch of homemade yogurt last night (followed the recipe exactly and took the advice of adding 3/4 cup powdered milk), I let it sit in the fridge over night (definitely helped the consistency, firmed it up more). I added some frozen blueberrries and a little sugar to it today, made about 20 “go-gurts” and put a 1/2 cup of the plain in the freezer for the next batch. Now all I need to buy for the next batch is a 1/2 gallon of milk. I LOVE this idea! So much healthier than store bought yogurt, and it couldn’t be any easier. And I’ll second the happy dance! We haven’t gotten to try them frozen yet (I just put them in the freezer about 20 minutes ago) but as I was making it my 15 month old got antsy, so I gave him a little bowl to try, which turned into seconds, thirds, and forths, he couldn’t stop eating it! Amazing!! Thank you so much this is awesome. I’ve really learned so much from this site! LOVE it!!!!