Crockpot Apple Butter Recipe (plus free printable labels!)

I am really happy that I decided to make homemade apple butter as one of my do-it-yourself projects for this year. I’m not typically that much of an apple butter fan, but I’m glad I didn’t let that deter me. Because let me tell you, this homemade apple butter is fantastic–much, much better than any storebought stuff I’ve ever tried.

I used two of the $0.59 bags of apples that I picked up on clearance at the health food store to make this, so it was very inexpensive.

And other than the peeling and chopping process, which did take me a little while (though it was relaxing–especially since I listened to an audiobook at the same time!), the whole process was so simple.

{The LEGOs have invaded our house–and my cooking space! :)}

Once the apples were peeled and sliced, the crockpot did the rest of the work!

Free Printable Labels

Now that I’ve made one batch of homemade apple butter, I want to make a lot more batches and freeze them or give them as gifts! And Joy from FiveJs.com whipped up some free printable labels you can use if you’re going to give these as gifts.

Download the free Homemade Apple Butter Labels. There are two different sizes and labels available in this free download.

We used both labels on our jars–on one side we put the Homemade Apple Butter label and on the other side we put “From My Kitchen” along with the recipient’s name.

A special thanks to my wonderful assistant, Erika, who took the cute jarred apple butter photos. As is very obvious, she has much more flare for photography than me. :)

Comments

1. Cheri S says

I plan on starting this today. I have a question first, Do the apples need to be cut in 4th? I have a apple coreing machine that will slice and core apples and make it easy to get through this set. Do you think I can do that?? Thanks for the recipe

2. Priscilla says

I tried making apple butter too this year form the first time, but here is my EASY recipe. Wash and core apples (no need to peel!) enough to overfilled a large crockpot. Add 4 tsp. cinnamon and 4 c sugar. Add lid and cook on low 8-12 hours. Puree with an immersion blender right in the crock.

3. KimH says

Thanks for the great Apple Butter inspiration. I made some for the first time this year. I got 3/4 of a bushel Northern Spy seconds for $5 and made 3 batches. I quartered, and cored enough to fill the crock pot almost overflowing, added 1/2 cup water, & 2 T vanilla and let it go from 8pm until around 5am on low. I used my immersion blender to puree, then added 2 cups brown sugar, 2 T cinnamon, and about 10 clove buds. I skewed the lid a little bit & let it continue to cook on low until about 5pm when I got home from work. I refrigerated it and started another batch until all 3 were done and on Saturday, I combined them in a large pot and let them boil until they thickened up a little bit more. Then I water bathed them in a turkey frier outside which is much faster than trying to do it on the stove. Fast, easy, & so simple.
    Thanks again for the inspiration & the how tos!

4. Patty says

The immersion blender idea is brilliance!! As I spent an hour quartering, peeling, and coring I kept thinking “there’s GOT to be an easier way!” and sure enough there is. Next time, peels stay on!!

I had the same moisture problem as a couple of other posters. I used 5 lbs. of Galas and cut the sugar back to 1/2 c white and 1/2 c brown. I did not prop the lid at first, and by the end of the 2nd 6 hours, my mix was very liquid-y. I cooked it another 6 hours on low and made some progress. Then I propped the lid with a skewer, cranked it to high, and 4 hours later was okay with the consistency. 22 hours cooking time seems a bit much, so next time I’ll prop the lid when I add the sugar and spices.

The finished product is delicious!! Great recipe.

5. Marissa P. says

You can get an apple peeler/corer/slicer @ Bed,Bath, and Beyond for under $20. Use a 20% off/1 product coupon its a really awesome deal. It works really well and super easy, vacuum seals to your counter when in use, and it SAVES so much time! I love mine and is essential in my kitchen. Thank you for the idea and recipe for the apple butter!

6. Kathy says

I am nearly 60 yrs. old and have been married nearly 40 years and this is my first attempt to make homemade apple butter … it was such a success! I made it this past Friday … didn’t do things too much differently than you … used the Jonathan apples as you did … instead of a potato masher, I used an emersion blender (hand blender) to make the apples smooth … cooked it about an hour longer and with the lid off in order for it to reduce to the proper thickness. My picky eater husband loves it! Thank you … thank you … we used to bring homemade apple butter from Maryland to Florida on our visit back home … but no need to now … I can have it anytime I want! Thanks again! So nice to know there are still young people that are interested in doing things homemade!

7. Beata says

Thank you for sharing this recipe. This is so yummy and so easy to do. I love it. My kids managed to eat it all in three days.

Ooo… I have been wanting to make apple butter, and you’ve just inspired me. Yours looks easy and yummy! I have one of those apple coring/slicing contraptions… so I might try it to save time.

9. Haley Johnson says

Thank you so much!!!! I love this recipe! I left the peels on my small apples, put in crockpot around 10pm last night, then stirred overnight a few times (ick 1am the neighbors woke us up- but took it as a sign that my apples needed stirring, and again at 4 when my hubby left for work). I was expecting to have to leave it in the crockpot while I was at work today but it reached a great consistency around 7/8 am this morning. I used a few chopsticks to let the steam out so that may be why it went so quickly! My batch filled 2- 24oz (spaghetti sauce) jars, and 1-16oz mason jar, that is after I had some on a bagel for breky :) I used the labels too- they came out so cute!

10. Dee Holler says

I made this last week and it is AMAZING. I think it’s better than that of one of our favorite restaurants that serves breakfast any time. The consistency may be slightly thinner, but the whole family loves it and doesn’t know any different. Still need to find the stickers so I can print some labels for my jars.