Easy Italian Breadsticks in the Bread Machine

Reader Amy R. sent me this recipe and said “I wanted to share this recipe with you… It is definitely our family’s favorite bread. My husband calls them ‘Better than Olive Garden Breadsticks.’”

Better than Olive Garden Breadsticks? This I have to try!

So yesterday, I threw all of the ingredients in the bread machine before we started our homeschooling lessons.

A few hours later, the dough was ready to be rolled into breadsticks.

I was running short on time, so I rolled some into breadsticks and the rest I just rolled out and sliced.

Kaitlynn enjoyed helping me roll her own “breadsticks”.

The verdict? These were very delicious. I’m not sure that the sliced dough option worked as well as the breadsticks I actually rolled into “ropes”, but I will definitely be making this recipe again in the future.

The whole family agreed that this recipe was a keeper. Best of all, it is so simple!

Comments

1. Jessica Davidson says

I don’t have a bread machine is there a way to make these without the bread machine?

2. Autumn says

Yumo. This looks so good can’t wait to try. Do you eat this with a particular dish or pretty much anything? I think straight from the oven sounds delish. :)

3. Shannon says

These look yummy! I am looking into getting a bread machine. I was wondering if you had one you would recommend. Thanks!

• Melissa says

I Have the Oster Model #3858. It doesn’t have a whole lot of bells and whistles but it was affordable and has been very reliable. I hope that helps!

4. Nan says

Looks yummy- I don’t have a bread machine but mixing it by hand won’t take long (or I could double the batch and make it in my kitchen aid). My family loves homemade breadsticks and the recipe I use right now takes alittle longer to make than this one does. Thanks for sharing!!

5. Danielle B says

I know this may seem obvious to others, but if you don’t have a bread machine how could you do this recipe? Would you just proof the yeast in the warm water, measure all the other ingredients together, then add the yeast and water to the other ingredients, mix and then knead by hand? How long would you knead it by hand?

Thank you! :-)

Danielle, I will be doing it just as you mentioned and knead until smooth and elastic, usually about 8 minutes or so when I make other breads. My mother-in-law gave me a bread machine but have a horrible time with it, I prefer to do it by hand.

Perfect timing for us! The weekends are super busy at our house, so we have “Soup on Saturday”. Each week I make up a large batch of soup and put it in the crock pot so everyone can eat at their own time and I don’t have to worry about cooking while catching up on housework.

This week, we are having the Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana. I hadn’t even thought about the breadsticks! That’s the best part of the meal. I’m trying this recipe tonight!

• Lisa Bell says

@ Kimberly, That is my all time favorite soup in the whole world!!! You have to share the recipe (no, you don’t really have too, but I would love it if you would)! I had never before liked any type of potato soup until I had this. Mmmm, And I was wanting to make some type of bread tomorrow anyway, and the soup sounds perfect for a nice weekend meal. :)

Lisa, I made this yesterday and the breadsticks were AMAZING! Just like Olive Garden. My favorite part of this soup is dipping it up with the breadsticks, oh so good! Here is the recipe:

Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana
        1 lb ground Italian sausage
        1½ tsp crushed red peppers
        1 large diced white onion
        4 tbsp bacon, chopped
        1 clove garlic, finely minced
        10 cups water
        5 tsp of chicken broth base (or you could use 4 cups bouillon.If you use broth, cut the water by half and use 5 cups of prepared broth)
        1 cup heavy cream
        1 lb 3 large sliced russet potatoes
        ¼ of a bunch of kale, chopped (about 2 cups) (you could use swiss chard as well, I’ve even used fresh spinach in a pinch)

Sautee Italian sausage and crushed red pepper in pot. Drain excess fat, transfer to a bowl and refrigerate.

In the same pan, sautee bacon, onions and garlic until the onions are soft.

Mix together the chicken base and water and add it to the onions, bacon and garlic. Bring to boiling. Add potatoes and cook until soft, about half an hour.

Add heavy cream and simmer until warmed. Stir in the sausage. Transfer to crockpot, set to warm.

Add kale just before serving. (I keep the kale seperate and allow everyone to add it to their bowls when they serve themselves. This keeps the kale from getting too soggy.)

7. Kristin says

I don’t have a bread machine. Can I just mix up the ingredients by hand or in my mixer then separate the dough? Or what could I do to make this without a bread machine? They sound quite tasty!

8. Kelly says

If making this recipe on a freezer cooking day, when is the best time to freeze??? Thanks, these sound delicious.

9. Katie says

Okay…stupid new bread maker question…when you say yeast…do you mean active yeast, bread machine yeast, fast acting yeast or any of the above??? I’m so confused by all of these different ingredients!

• Jo says

I would say active yeast/bread machine yeast. I’m pretty sure that fast-acting is what you would use if your bread machine has a faster setting in addition to the normal settings. HTH!!!

I just have to say this looks so yummy! I am going to see if I can use my MIL’s bread machine to do this tomorrow. I can almost smell the breadsticks now!! Thanks for sharing!

I have been looking for a good recipe for breadsticks! This looks like it will be just perfect!!! I cant wait to try it out!

When I saw your blog referral on a post for the Top Five Couponing Blogs, I decided to check it out. I am sooooo glad that I did!

Thanks for the great tips, recipes, and repurposing ideas!
    Sonja Twombly of

12. Beth says

Does making a bread that uses really fragrant/strong ingredients like garlic in your bread machine leave an odor? I want to make these tomorrow, but I’m worried it will leave my machine smelling like garlic for the next loaf.

• Becca says

I don’t think it would as long as you wash the pan well. If a garlic odor lingers, you could try using some citrus to get rid of the smell but I don’t think you will have a problem. What I’d probably do is mince some garlic to put on top with the melted butter and parmesan cheese.

13. Lori says

Ok dumb question. But when you say cover and let rise- is this at room temp on a baking sheet? Thanks

• Becky says

Yes, on a baking sheet. Location varies. In cold months, I turn my oven on the lowest setting for 5 minutes or so, then turn it off. THat’s enough time to get the oven to 80+ degrees, which is a nice temp for rising, so I put dough in there to rise. Other options include 1.) on top of fridge if it’s warm there, 2.) place cup of water in microwave, run microwave for 1-2 minutes, remove cup of water, put dough in microwave, put BIG SIGN on microwave door so nobody tries to use it (and blow up the microwave because your baking sheet is metal), 3.) any warm, nondrafty place in your house.

14. Anna says

I haven’t pulled out the bread machine in 6+ years! Actually, my bread machine scares me – I never learned how to use it. BUT, these look so good that I’m going to attempt them. Thanks so much. I absolutely LOVE this blog. :)

15. Juliw says

Thanks for the recipe, I just bought a bread machine and I love it! Would love some more bread machine recipes, I am looking for one that is good for sandwich rolls like hoagies. Thanks again I love that you post your menu plans, I try your recipes often!

My comment has more to do with the picture of that knife. I have one that looks very similar. Only I call mine the “death knife” considering I almost cut a finger off with it one time! Here’s hoping you are more careful with yours than I was.

17. Robin says

I dug out my bread machine and used it for the 2nd time to make these. Super easy, and super yummy!! I added a couple of cloves of minced garlic, 1 tsp onion powder and 1/8 tsp. pepper to the dough. My 2 yr. old asked “More bread please?” They were very good, and the hubby liked them too.

18. Emily says

Made the breadsticks tonight and it was great. I would suggest more garlic with the butter topping but it was awesome. I will be making my own bread intstead of buying the NY garlic bread from now on. Save me lots of money there.

19. Ashley says

I made these yesterday and they were a huge hit at my house! Thank you so much for this delicious recipe:)

20. Katie says

Thanks so much for posting this recipe! We made them tonight & absolutely loved them. We’ve been looking for a good breadstick recipe and this is it!

21. Celeste Rodrigue says

Hi, I was wondering, when you make bread, do you use regular flour or bread machine flour? Also, do you let your bread dough go thru the whole dough making cycle or just let it get mixed up and take it out? Mine take 1 hour and 30 minutes but it mixes, rises, mixes and rises again.

22. Penny says

I made these in the bread machine last night and they were definitely a hit with the family. I would love to try them with wheat flour next time. Thanks for sharing these awesome recipes!

23. Jaime says

I saw this recipe and decided to try it out last night. I didn’t use a bread machine (since I don’t own one) and just did everything by had. These were AMAZING! My husband and son loved them. It was also great that we had enough to freeze for a few more meals. Way better than buying pre-packaged dough :)

24. Becky says

Curious about the timing you use on your bread machine. I use the “quick” setting for almost everything now, and it still gets the job done well. The quick setting on mine is 45 minutes, compared to almost 2 hours for the regular dough setting. I use the bulk yeast from Sam’s. I have not noticed a difference between the two cycles. Please let me know if you think I’m missing some important information. :)

25. Blaire Ruch says

I’ve had my bread machine for a few years now, but have never tried the dough cycle. Just tried these breadsticks tonight and they were fantastic! So easy!

26. Michelle says

I’m the minority here, but I thought they were far too heavily seasoned for my taste. Not a total bust though, because I finally took the leap and made dough with my bread machine. :)

27. Melissa says

Made these tonight.. they were great! I didn’t have Italian seasoning so I used Herbes de Provence and they turned out great. Thanks for the recipe, it’s a keeper!