Freezer Cooking in an Hour: No Bake Energy Bites, Crispy Southwest Chicken Wraps, Peanut Butter Banana Muffins

I didn’t get this posted on Thursday, as usual, since we were busy with garage sale stuff all day long and then I had a fun evening with Stacie from The Amazing Mess and Motherhood on a Dime and Jenae from I Can Teach My Child. And Friday we had the garage sale, plus I helped some friends with cleaning a house they bought and are remodeling, and then Jesse and I went out on a date.

At any rate, my life has been full of a lot of wonderful things but blogging’s been low on the priority list. However, here’s a little peek into my freezer cooking session this past week:

Silas helped me mix up the Peanut Butter Banana Muffins. He’s all into cooking and “helping” right now. I love his spirit–even if sometimes it means he makes more mess than actually helping. :)

The mixture for the Crispy Southwest Chicken Wraps. These were fun to make and oh-so-good! We served some for dinner and I froze the rest.

And the final results of about an hour’s worth of work:

No Bake Energy Bites — these were fabulous and actually didn’t last a full 48 hours! I promise I wasn’t the only energy-bite-eating culprit, though. :)

Crispy Southwest Chicken Wraps — these were a hit and I’ll definitely make them again!

Peanut Butter Banana Muffins — these were just so-so. If I stuck some chocolate chips in them, the children would probaby be more excited about them, though.

Comments

1. Heather says

I also made the peanut butter banana oatmeal muffins on Thursday. They did smell good while cooking but just didn’t taste as good as we thought they would. Not a big hit here either. The boys ate them but weren’t in love with them.

I will have to try the energy bites this week and that Crispy Chicken dish too.

2. Heather D says

The recipe for energy bites is similar to what I make in bar form. I add 1/2-1 cup of Rice Crispies for a little extra crunchiness, and throw in a little extra sunflower seed butter (dd has a peanut allergy) to account for the additional dry ingredients. After mixing everything together, I press it all into an 8×8 dish, refrigerate, and then cut into bars. Yum! :)

3. Abigail says

I’ve had the energy bites since I was a kid…except we called them by the really fancy name of peanut butter balls. :) I also missed out on the chocolate chips and had raisins instead….chocolate sounds so good in them!

4. Casey says

I’m so jealous your kids eat a lot of veggies! How do you do that?!

Peanut Butter Banana Muffins looks great, I’m gonna try that next week. Love your blog so much!

I put the wraps on our dinner menu this upcoming week. I also did a short session this week in the kitchen. I pureed 10 cups of pumpkin, browned 5 lbs of ground beef, 2 loaves of Cinnamon Swirl Bread, and a pan of roasted pumpkin seeds. I really need to do a bit more, but only had a few hours to spare. I’ll get caught up eventually. I can’ wait to try the wraps.

6. Smiles says

You inspired me so I made bannana bread and cut into slices and froze them. Then I made a form of chicken pot pie but the crust is just biskits on top. I froze half for late in the week with no biskits on top and the rest we ate tonight and tomorrow. I am thinking about makeing some hard boiled eggs and one more dinner dish have not thought what yet. Thanks for the great ideas as I work and go to school and because someone stold my car I take the bus which makes for a very long day.

7. Joanna says

I made the no-bake energy bites yesterday. I didn’t put coconut in because I didn’t have any, but they were still delicious. Perfect for my husband’s work lunches.

8. Lee says

The no bake energy bites are the bomb! Everyone I’ve given them to, from toddlers to seniors, love them. I was able to make 3 batches with the size bag of coconut I had. After the 2nd batch I got tired of rolling into balls and just pressed it into a 9×9 pan and made squares which I put in the freezer (Since the recipe said good up to a week in the fridge, I figured I better freeze some but that was not necessary because everyone ate them so fast). I’ve been enjoying them out of the freezer- They remind me of cookie dough in that form. I would like to try unsweetend coconut the next time but I could only find sweetened when I grabbed the ingredients at Walmart.

9. Berneda says

I’m wondering how you would freeze the already made chicken wraps? When cooled, don’t they get soggy? What do you wrap each individual one in? Thank you.

Ok – I haven’t had breakfast this morning . . . and just looking at the food is making my stomach growl! Yum! I’ll have to try some of these recipes. I love freezer cooking! With 5 kids here, crazy afternoons (homework, picking up kids) after school each day . . . and plus the fact that I really do not like cooking that much . . . I turned to freezer cooking a few years ago. I haven’t done as much lately (when the summer came) – but need to get back into it, as our afternoons and evenings seem crazy busy around here!
    Thanks for all you do! I love following your blog!
    You are a huge blessing!!

Oh yes – I’d like to know about reheating the wraps to keep them from being soggy, and whether you did put the sour cream in before freezing, or added it afterwards.
    Thanks!
    (I may have to run to the store to get these ingredients!)

Lori :)

12. Lori says

Crystal, I just wanted to let you know how much I love your blog. When it gets crazy at my house, I sneak over here and read for a few minutes and always get up a little more refreshed and inspired. Thanks for all you do!

13. Emily says

My favorite banana muffin recipe is Tyler Florence’s from food network but it has no oatmeal in it. I was told at one point to try something called Super Power Muffins. Let us know if you try them!

• Emily says

it looks like the super power muffin recipe was yours! I wonder if you could modify it to include oats in place of part of the whole wheat flour?

14. Diana M. says

Thanks so much for the recipes! I finally decided to try my hand at freezer cooking with the Crispy Southwest Chicken Wraps. We’re so excited since we absolutely love them. I made enough to eat some for dinner and freeze some.

I was wondering: how do you heat up the wraps after you freeze them and you are ready to eat them? Thank you for your help and advice!

15. Angela says

We made the Peanut butter muffins and added chocolate chips. They were great! I didn’t add many, just a handful or so.

16. Erika says

Hey all! So i have a lot of Tyson pregrilled chicken packages and want to use them in the crispy chicken roll up recipe! Do you think it will be safe to freeze them and eat later using this chicken???