How To Make Money Blogging: 10 Ways to Build & Increase Your Readership (Part 1)
1. Produce consistent, quality content.
People visit a blog more often if they know they can count on it being updated regularly. Consistently commit to post at least three times each week and you’ll be well on your way to building your readership.
2. Make it very simple for people to subscribe.
If someone subscribes to your blog’s feed or email newsletter, they are much more likely to remember about your blog on a regular basis. Plus, they are less likely to unsubscribe once they’ve taken the effort to sign up.
Make it very obvious where and how to subscribe on your blog’s sidebar and occasionally remind your readers of the ease and benefits of subscribing (giving a little something away as a reward for subscribing doesn’t hurt, either!)
3. Comment on other blogs.
A great way to encourage people to check out your own blog is to leave interesting comments on other blogs. If people like your comment, they are very likely to click on your name and wander over to your blog.
Please do make sure your comment adds value to the discussion, though. Don’t just say “great post!” and then leave your link. Comments that sound like an infomercial for your blog or that serve no purpose other than to try and get people to click over to your blog are not something bloggers or blog readers appreciate.
Amy has some great tips on how to effectively make use of your time when commenting on other blogs.
4. Write guest posts.
Many, many blogs (including this one!) readily accept well-written, relevant guest posts and it’s one of the most effective ways to introduce your blog and your writing style to a new audience. As an added benefit, if the blog you guest post for has a lot of traffic and ranks high in search engines, having a link or two to your blog on that blog will increase your search engine rankings, too.
When submitting a guest post, make sure that it follows that blog’s guest post guidelines and carefully proof-read it before you send it (you wouldn’t believe how many guest posts submissions we receive that are riddled with glaring typos!). If it gets rejected, don’t take it personally (I’ve rejected many fabulous guest posts over the years, usually because I felt they were better suited for a different audience than mine.), submit it to another blog for consideration instead.
5. Participate in weekly memes.
Blog memes are the weekly link-up opportunities many blogs host, such as Works-For-Me Wednesday. There are thousands of different memes out there and this provides a great opportunity to get new visitors to your blog.
I recommend that you try participating in one to two different memes each week when you’re first starting out. Track your traffic after you participate to see which ones are most successful and bring the most visitors.
And just my personal opinion here: don’t link up to 25 different memes in one post. It looks tacky and I believe it waters down your post’s effectiveness.
Next week I’ll share five more ways to build and increase your readership.
If you’re a blogger, what have been your most effective methods of building your readership? Tell us in the comments.
Other posts in the How to Make Money Blogging series
- How to Make Money Blogging: 5 Necessary Traits of Successful Bloggers
- How to Make Money Blogging: 5 Ways to Set Your Blog Up for Success
- How to Make Money Blogging: 5 Tips for Writing Top-Notch Content
- How To Make Money Blogging: 10 Ways to Build & Increase Your Readership (Part 1)
- How to Make Money Blogging: 10 Ways to Build & Increase Your Readership (Part 2)
- How to Make Money Blogging: 10 Ways to Build & Increase Your Readership (Part 3)
- How to Make Money Blogging: 5 Tips for Maximizing Your Earnings with Affiliate Advertising
- How to Make Money Blogging: 5 Tips for Selling More Sidebar Ads
- How to Make Money Blogging: The Pros and Cons of Joining an Ad Network
- How to Make Money Blogging: 5 Ways to Use Your Blog as a Springboard to Earn Additional Income (Part 1)
- How to Make Money Blogging: 5 Ways to Use Your Blog as a Springboard to Earn Additional Income (Part 2)
Subscribe for free email updates from Money Saving Mom® and get my Guide to Freezer Cooking for free!
PREVIOUS POST: Free Dentek Easy Brush sample