Homemade Baking Mix Recipe

Doreen emailed me her baking mix recipe almost a year ago and I’ve had it in my file ever since to try. I finally got around to making it during my Freezer Cooking In an Hour session this week.

It was so simple to whip up and I’m excited to see how it works. I’ll be posting four different recipes using this mix in the next few weeks as I try them. In the mean time, here’s the baking mix recipe:

Comments

1. Christine says

This would probably be better to store in the freezer. The main purpose people use freshly ground WW flour is for all the “good stuff” in it and after three hours, it loses its benefits. I think the freezer would probably help to keep them. I definitely want to try this! :)

What is the storage life of this, do you know? Hubby makes breakfast on Saturday mornings, and this would be a great time saver for him!

We store WW flour in the freezer as well. It goes rancid much quicker than regular flour.

I’m not sure. I’m guessing it would be good for at least 4-6 weeks in the freezer. I’m going to be testing it out over the next few weeks and reporting back.

• Erin says

King Arthur has a similar whole wheat baking mix recipe. They recommend you use it within six months.

3. Monica says

Thank you so much for sharing. Your recipes are always easy to follow and my family loves them.

4. Katie says

It says that it is used in place of Bisquick, so would it be in the same amount? For example, if I’m making waffles and the recipe is 2 C. Bisquick, would I use 2C. Baking Mix (1:1 ratio)? Sorry if this question is silly, but it isn’t immediately clear to me. What other types of recipes do you use this for?

Also, can I freeze this is in a Ziploc bag in the freezer? Does it clump, or does it stay “crumb-y” and easy to scoop?

I froze it in Ziploc bags. I’ll be sharing recipes that I’m using it in in the upcoming weeks. This is a new experiment for me!

• rachael p says

I make my own baking mix and keep it in the freezer…it does stay crumbly and I usually try to measure it and leave it in a bowl on the counter for a bit to warm to room temp (or a little cooler) before I continue with the recipe.

It should last at least 4-6 weeks in the freezer. Probably longer. I’ll be experimenting and reporting back over the next few weeks.

I make this and keep it in my freezer. You can make some really great scones out of this mix. Follow the directions to make biscuits, add 1 egg, 1 or 2 tablespoons of sugar depending on your taste, and whatever mix-ins you like. I use a handful of cranberries and a handful of pecans.

Pat (don’t roll) into a circle. Slice as you would slice a pizza. Bake based on directions of biscuits.

Once you add the egg and the sugar, you can turn these into any flavored scone you like. My son loves these! It’s also a great recipe for leftover trail mix.

• Tina says

Sabrina
      please share the recipe for scones using the baking mix. I have never made scones before. If you have any other recipes to share using the baking mix, please share them.

Thanks

6. Charlotte says

Can someone fill me in on Coconut Oil? I have been reading some about it and it seems just as bad as other saturated fats. If you someone could give me a link or something so I can read up on it that would be awesome! I guess my biggest question is…Is it better health wise than just using Butter or is it a matter of taste?

THANKS!

• Charlotte says

Thanks, Lizzie!!! I looked at the sight and it helped!! My husband has HIGH Cholesterol and I was reading different things about the Coconut oil. I guess when it comes down to it if I am going to use butter or Coconut oil the Coconut oil is the “better” option!! :)

• Autumn says

If you check out Green Smoothie Girl she lists all the benefits and GREAT benefits of coconut oil not to mention “green smoothies” what she’s known for. I believe if you look on the right hand side of her website you scroll down “recommends” and you should find info. on the coconut oil etc. Hope you see something that answers your questions. :)

• charity crawford says

I make a similar version and it works great…I have a Bisquick recipe book and just use this in the place of the store bought Bisquick. It is so much cheaper and you get way more making it yourself.

• charity crawford says

No i don’t freeze mine i just put it in an air tight container and store it in my cabinet. I use it rather quickly.

7. Tina says

Thanks for sharing the recipe for Homemade baking mix. I use Bisquick alot. I will use regular flour instead of wheat will that make a difference?
    Did you use coconut oil or shortening when you made your mix?

Thanks

8. April says

Crystal -
    Thanks for yet ANOTHER time saving, cost saving idea!

Does anyone have a recipe or idea for this baking mix but without the powdered milk? Is the powdered milk essential in some way – what does it do in the recipe? I’d love to have a fresh ground ready made mix on hand, but again, without the powdered milk as I read in Nourishing Traditions it’s not very good for you.

• Sarah says

My mom has a recipe for baking mix that just includes flour, shortening, and baking powder. I sub coconut oil. I’ll try this recipe as well without the powdered milk. Seems like it should be fine.

I also use a recipe like your moms. It works really well. I keep mine in a plastic container and store either in the fridge or cupboard. If you use butter, you need to keep it in the fridge. I whip it all together in my food processor and it takes all but a couple minutes.

• Sarah says

that’s a good idea with the food processor! I use mine when I make pie crusts and strudel toppings. I hate cutting in by hand!

• Emmy says

would love to try your mom’s recipe. I have read really bad things about powdered milk, but don’t know how to make this mix without it. How much milk would you add for each recipe?

• Rebekah says

All you would have to do is add milk instead of water when you’re mixing together your recipe.

9. JC2 says

I never made homemade baking mix before because it always used shortening (which is a substance that we never have in our house) so I was delighted to see you offer coconut oil as an alternative. I might be giving this a try!

10. Sasha says

Thanks for the recipe. I was wondering if I could make baking mix with fresh ground flour. My husband likes to make shortcakes to go with strawberries in the summer.

11. kristi says

I don’t have coconut oil and I don’t like to use shortening. Can I use butter or something else instead?

• Sarah says

There was a comment above that said they use butter and just keep it in the fridge. Coconut oil is something that is handy to keep around. It’s very stable since it’s saturated fat so it keeps a long time on the shelf without going bad. We LOVE making kettlecorn on the stove with coconut oil!! Yum!

• Sarah says

it’s so easy!

1/4 c. coconut oil
          1/4 c. sugar
          1/2 c. popcorn kernels

Melt coconut oil in large pan on stove (lid on). Add 1 kernel of popcorn- when it pops you know the oil is hot enough. Add the sugar and mix it up- it won’t be smooth- that’s okay. Then add the popcorn. Keep the lid on and shake it every several seconds to keep it from burning. Dump it into a bowl as soon as it’s done popping. Let it cool before eating. It’ll be soft when you first dump it out but gets firm once it’s cooler. It’s a lot like caramel corn but no caramel. Hope you like it!!

• Jodi says

That popcorn is out of this world. I have made 5 batches in the last 24hrs. My kids and husband took bags of it for snacks.

12. Aileen says

Definitely want to try this! Have any suggestions for good deals on dry milk? I can’t believe how expensive it is! What would you consider a good price for it? It’s over $6 even at Aldi, but if that’s a good price, I will go for it. Have a great day!

• Teri says

I’m not sure where you live Aileen, but here in La. a box of dry milk will cost over $12 for the medium size box. I have thought about buying it to make my own baking mix for a few years now, but with the price of dry milk I can just buy a box of Bisquik. It just didn’t really seem that cost effective. I usually don’t use Bisquik that often, so the large box can last for several months. Maybe one day I will try to make my own and sit down to calculate the actual price.

Oh, can hardly wait to try this! Would love to try it with coconut oil but my hubby is allergic to coconut :-(
    Any other suggestions for a healthier oil like coconut?

14. Andrea says

Thank you for posting this recipe! I made it yesterday using gluten free flours and it was perfect. I made a gluten free pizza crust with it last night. After at least 10 other attempts in recent months, this was the first g-free pizza crust my husband and I could agree on (he’s not g-free). It was even better than the G-Free Bisquick mix I bought a few weeks ago.

15. Lorie says

I thought coconut oil wasn’t supposed to be heated passed medium high. If you’re baking in the oven then that temp would make the oil rancid, which is SO not good for you.
    Does anyone know where to buy palm shortning? I’d love to get some so I can completely do away with shortening but none of the health stores in Nashville seem to sell it.

16. stee says

so this is going to be a dumb question but what do you use Bisquick for? I don’t use it so I don’t know how these mixes would be used.

17. Amy says

I see that you grind your own flour. I am finally getting a vitamix, so I will be able to start doing that. (Hooray!) What is a good price point for the wheat to grind? What kind do y’all get? Thanks!