Do-It-Yourself: Taco Seasoning

Taco seasoning is one of those things I never buy unless it’s free or pennies per packet. Why? Because you can so easily make you own! Smashed Peas and Carrots shows you how to make Homemade Taco Seasoning.

Do you have a fun and frugal DIY idea to share? I’d love to hear about it! Read the submission guidelines and submit it here.

Comments

1. Julie C says

Packages of taco seasonings are usually full of msg and other unhealthy additives.

We love homemade taco seasoning…keeps well in the pantry. For 1 lb meat I brown the meat first and drain, then mix 1/4 C seasoning and 3/4 C water with the meat, allow to boil quickly, then let simmer until thickened. Freezes great too!

3. Jenny says

thanks for posting this. I’ve wanted to make my own taco seasoning, but even with googling couldn’t seem to find a recipe. Please post more DIY season packets. I’d LOVE more of these :)

• Amanda K says

Me too! Those seasoning packets are way too expensive for how little you get. I’d love to see more posts about DIY seasoning packets.

• Jamie says

Another very easy (and extremely tasty) DIY food is ranch dressing. You add mayo and sour cream to the spices. It’s quite thick enough to be used as a veggie dip or thin it out with milk to get a pourable dressing.

Ingredients:
        1 cup mayonnaise
        1/2 cup sour cream
        1/2 teaspoon dried chives
        1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
        1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
        1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
        1/4 teaspoon onion powder
        1/8 teaspoon salt
        1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, chives, parsley, dill, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.

• Melissa Z says

I substitue cottage cheese for the mayo & sour cream & add a 1.5 tsp of lemon juice. Makes a guilt free snack!

See, Taco Seasoning is one of the few things I don’t mind buying because it’s less then $4 at Costco for a 24oz container of MSG free seasoning.

What a great idea! :) I will definitely use this once I run out of the taco seasoning I bought on sale awhile back. And what a cute blog, too – I loved the recipes on the recipes tab and am definitely thinking of trying some!!

6. Jeni says

Wow! It never occurred to me to MAKE my own taco seasoning, especially with ingredients I have at home already. That’s one less thing I’ll be buying in the future. I bought the Ortego 12-pk Taco Kit this week for $1, which included the seasoning packet and thought that was a good deal since I sometimes pay $0.49-$79 for the seasoning alone..!

I make homemade taco seasoning, too. However, the one difference that there seems to be with storebought packs ~ I think they have some kind of thickener in them. It might just be as a filler, but the color is lighter and it really seems to thicken the meat mixture more than homemade does. Maybe maseca or some kind of corn flour?

• Melissa says

I like my to thicken-up also.

My recipe uses arrow root powder (or corn starch) for the thickner.

My recipe calls for 1/2 cup arrow root powder to the 1 cup of chili powder (then various other ingredients)

• Heather says

My recipe calls for cornstarch. I usually add a little water when using it, just like you do with the packets.
      Mine also calls for cayenne pepper and oregeno. So cheap. I make up a big batch at a time. Love not using all those chemicals and saving money.

8. Carrie says

This is a great idea. I don’t buy the packets because they of the msg’s. I usually just open up a jar of salsa and pour it over the meat. It’s quick and easy and everyone loves it!

9. Patti says

LOVE IT
    Anyone have a recipe for CHILI seasoning mix
    I might as well make both.
    Patti

• Candy says

Chili seasoning = 1 T all-purpose flour, 2 T minced dried onion, 1 1/2 t chili powder, 1 t seasoned salt, 1/2 t crushed dried red pepper, 1/2 t instant minced garlic, 1/2 t sugar, 1/2 t ground cumin. (T = Tablespoon, t=teaspoon) Adjust according to your taste.