Comments

1. margaret says

This is one of those times when I think to myself, “why didn’t I think about that?” I always saw those copco bag caps but never got them because even though they were really cool I couldn’t justify the cost. Now I’m going to go home and make these!

2. ashley says

There’s also a program that non profits, churches, schools, etc. can participate in. I’m not for sure of the name, but the school I teach at collects all these lids and turns them in, and after a certain amount the company makes a bench with the recycled lids. They’re super nice, and an awesome way to use something most people deem as “useless”.

3. Rae says

You can turn in bottle tops to recycle at Aveda stores.

This idea seems to take wasting a new product (bag) to reuse a cap which seems to be counter productive. And a lot of bags can be recycled in the boxes at many stores (Walmart, target, kroger, etc)

• Courtney says

I had the same thought as you at first. Perhaps you could wash out and re-use a bread bag (or something similar) instead of using a brand new bag. Just a thought. :)

• Melodie says

Not if the bag is what the product came in. Once you’ve opened the bag and need a way to seal it securely, using a bottle cap in this way is sensible and a good option for recycling material.

It’s also useful for those of us who are interested in it for saving a dime. I’m such a penny pincher that it’s painful for me to buy a ziplock bag at the store, but then I really wish I had a seal-able bag at home if I don’t. Jars and rubbermaid containers don’t seal out enough air and bags simply store some things better. So for the occasions that nothing but a bag will do, this is a great alternative for a smaller price since bags without zip seals are much less expensive per bag.

Another option, rubber band the bag at the neck once you’ve fed it through. Then use it as a pouring spout to reduce the amount of product coming out of the bag.

• Rebecca says

Mine too! They steal them right out of the drying rack before I can get them put back on the bottles to drop in the recycling bin.

4. sarah says

I thinkthis is most useful if it’s a bulk item that you bught that *came* in a plastic bag- like the nuts & dried fruit etc, tht you can get at Henry’s.

5. Chrissie says

seems nice but only useful for very tiny items to fit through the hole. I can’t think of many items that come in tiny dot size.

6. Nancy says

Anyone come up with the plastic containers that purex sheets come in. If so please share with me Thank you

7. Jennifer says

Not sure if this is just a regional thing, but you can take bottle caps to any Aveda beauty store and they will recycle them!