How to Make Money Blogging: 5 Necessary Traits of Successful Bloggers
I did a series on Blogging for Profit a few years ago, but as things have changed a lot since then (and I’ve also learned new tricks and tips!), I wanted to re-post the series with updated information. This series will run each Wednesday for the next two months. Enjoy!
One of the questions most often emailed in to me is, “How do you make money blogging?”
The short answer is: it’s easier and harder than you may think. It’s easy because it requires very little cash outlay upfront, you don’t need a degree or certification, the field is wide open and the profit margins are high. On the other hand, setting up a successful blog that makes a part-time or full-time income will only be the result of massive amounts of effort, determination, consistency and perseverance.
If you want to be a successful blogger, here are five qualities you must posses:
1. Successful Bloggers are Marathoners, Not Sprinters
Anyone can be a successful blogger, but unless you’re already a celebrity, there’s no such thing as overnight blogging success. It takes hard work, sweat and more hard work. It may be a few months before you ever see a penny from your hours of labor invested into your blog.
2. Successful Bloggers Have Incredible Passion
If you don’t think you could write three posts per week for the next two years on your chosen blog topic, you need to choose a different topic or a different work-at-home idea.
3. Successful Bloggers are Self-Starters
It’s great to learn from others, but if you want to be spoon-fed, you won’t succeed. Roll up your sleeves, start digging and researching: read books on blogging, read articles on blogging, read blogs on blogging, watch bloggers who are successfully blogging and do your own experimentation.
4. Successful Bloggers Are Creative
In a market that is already saturated, fresh and unique voices and approaches are those that will stand head and shoulders above the rest. How are you going to be different from all the other bloggers in your niche?
5. Successful Bloggers Are Consistent
Readers come back when they can count on you having regularly-updated content. It’s much better to post three times per week every week, than to post thirty times one week every few months.
Next week, I’ll share how to set up a blog and produce content that readers are going to want to flock to. In the mean time, do you have any specific burning questions you’d like for me to cover in this series? Drop me an email or leave them as a comment. I can’t promise to know the answer or have space to cover it, but I’ll definitely try to address as many of your questions as possible.
Other posts in the How to Make Money Blogging series
- How to Make Money Blogging: 5 Necessary Traits of Successful Bloggers
- How to Make Money Blogging: 5 Ways to Set Your Blog Up for Success
- How to Make Money Blogging: 5 Tips for Writing Top-Notch Content
- How To Make Money Blogging: 10 Ways to Build & Increase Your Readership (Part 1)
- How to Make Money Blogging: 10 Ways to Build & Increase Your Readership (Part 2)
- How to Make Money Blogging: 10 Ways to Build & Increase Your Readership (Part 3)
- How to Make Money Blogging: 5 Tips for Maximizing Your Earnings with Affiliate Advertising
- How to Make Money Blogging: 5 Tips for Selling More Sidebar Ads
- How to Make Money Blogging: The Pros and Cons of Joining an Ad Network
- How to Make Money Blogging: 5 Ways to Use Your Blog as a Springboard to Earn Additional Income (Part 1)
- How to Make Money Blogging: 5 Ways to Use Your Blog as a Springboard to Earn Additional Income (Part 2)
Subscribe for free email updates from Money Saving Mom® and get my Guide to Freezer Cooking for free!