31 Weeks to a Better Grocery Budget Video Series: Storing Your Stockpile

This video gives you a little peek into my household supplies stockpile closet.

I don’t have a massive stockpile like some because I tend to stockpile on a smaller scale and typically don’t keep more on hand than what we can use in a three to six month period (there are some exceptions to this rule of thumb, such as the 31 tubes of toothpaste I “bought” for free last year).

I’d love to hear additional creative ideas you’ve come up with for storing your stockpile, especially if you live in a small house or apartment.

Comments

1. Jen K. says

Our townhouse has a total of two closets that aren’t in bedrooms. No storage. My husband is the kind of shelving though! Our pantry alone in our townhouse is t-i-n-y, so he installed lots of wire racks right outside the kitchen door in the garage. We keep canned items and other food stuff that won’t be damaged by extreme temps. The more perishable items get storied in the pantry itself. He also installed spice racks and a rack to hold foil, etc. on the door of the pantry the entire way down.

We’ve lived here close to two years and there’s not a single closet that my husband hasn’t added shelves to. The increase in storage is amazing.

I took my guest closet and added 2 more shelves which allows me to have 2 long shelves to store stuff in. In my kitchen pantry, I use tupperware to help keep me organized . . . I can put 3 boxes of pasta into an air-tight container that takes up 1/2 the space the pasta did. My problem right now is that tomato sauce is heavy and I have a ton of it!

3. Janet says

We have only 480sq ft for our family, I have things everywhere! Under beds , in bins behind dressers, linen closet as a pantry, shelves at the top of ceilings etc. I have creative on top of creative!
    I only stockpile what we can use for six to twelve weeks this usually means that I hit a sale again. This method works for us. My pantry is one kitchen cabinet without pots and pans. My pots and pans are in the drawer that came with my stove. Everything is as minimalist as it gets around here !
    One winter coat each. 6 shirts per season each, etc… We have zero space to spare! We were major downsized!

4. Mollie says

I know you mentioned it in your video, but I really utilize under the bed containers. I bit the bullet and bought heavy duty, large sweater under the bed storage boxes, versus the ones from the dollar store that kept cracking on me, and each bed room has 2 under the bed. Personal care items are in one, paper products in one, excess pasta and cereal and such in one, etc. It really frees up room in my closets!

5. Michelle says

My family of 6 (me, hubby and our 4 children aged 9, 8, 5 and 2) live in a just-under 1400 square foot house (1385 s.f.). My husband finished the basement to give us a bit more storage … underneath the stairs to the basement he build me a “pantry” … it is AMAZING what I can stockpile in there. We currently have at least 20 boxes of cereal (there was recently a GREAT deal), pasta, sauce, beans, easily 3-4 months worth of staples.

PS: In addition to stockpiling food and household supplies, whenever I find a “great” deal on a child’s toy, I stockpile to have gifts for birthday parties (4 children = LOTS of birthday parties!). That way, I can spend what I want to spend. (For example, last month our Supercentre had a Barbie set that normally retails for $25 on sale for $10. I bought 3, 2 have already been gifted, 1 is still in the closet.) At the end of the year, any gifts that I think won’t be used, we donate to a Christmas fund. Win, win.

6. shannon says

There are so many places to find storage. (Fortunately my husband is pretty handy). One of my favorite places is putting shelves (a board cut into several pieces) above a closet door (either inside the closet or outside the closet). Maybe there is a bedroom door that does not have to fully open and you could put 6 inch shelves behind a door. The best way to gain space is to go up a wall. (As I tell my husband it is not always pretty but it is functional and I prefer functional – you can always hang a sheet off of it to cover it up). As I was taking a shower this morning, I realized there is about 2 feet of wall space between the top of the shower wall and the ceiling. (yes, you would have to be careful what you store there with steam from the shower, but a possible place for stuff.) Under sinks is a good place. (Maybe it means getting rid of a few towels, but is the sacrifice worth it). Maybe there is a bathroom that is not used often and you can store things in bins in the bathtub. Maybe you have no room in your house, but what about your car? Do you have a deep trunk or space in the back seat floor this is not often used? Even if you had a small backyard and could store things in a tub out there. Lots of places, just have to think outside the box.

7. Michelle says

A great way to find some space, roll things – they take up less space and may free up part of a drawer or shelf. Roll t-shirts, underwear, dish towels, bath towels, etc.

8. Clarissa says

The apartment we lived in for our first two years of marriage was extremely small. We had one bedroom, a tiny bathroom, and a living room with a kitchenette at one end. There was only one closet–no pantry or other space. I stored my stockpile mainly under the couch and under the bed. The dollar store nearby sold under bed boxes three for 1.00, I think, which helped keep things organized. My husband laughed at me, though, when I needed a new deodorant and had to dig it out from under the couch!

9. Rebecca says

I just wanted to tell you that you look beautiful in that color blue-it really brings out your eyes!!! Thanks for doing this series, I have been enjoying all of the tips and it has been quite motivating:) Keep up the good work!

10. 1956okie says

Lots of great ideas here! We have a 5.5′-tall wooden shelving unit of “cubbies” that were at one time mail boxes for a company mail room. The company was selling items at an auction, and I think we got it for about $10. It’s solid wood and has about 30 cubbies that are around 10″ wide x 8″ high by 16″ deep. It used to hold toys when my girls were younger, but DH and I are cleaning it out to move it upstairs to our extra bedroom, where we’ll have good climate control. (In Okla we have huge temperature ranges during the year, so we need something indoors.) I plan to buy baskets to slide into the bottom rows of cubbies so I don’t have to lie on the floor to get into them (ha!). The others, we’ll leave as is. I’m excited about having a dediated stockpile area, though. Just a reminder to think about repurposing something–like old mailboxes–to make it work in your own home. :)

11. Christina says

I keep the zippered bag that my comforter came in under the bed to fill with stock pile items.

12. Rae says

I do over the door shoe organizers (under $10) that are perfect for LOTS of different things… bottles, tubes, etc in any room. They can go on room doors, closet doors, etc. I also do the under the bed storage and adding shelves in unused portions of closets (and shelves in the garage). I also bought tall thin cabinets for the hallway and bathroom to add storage. Those were not for stockpile type stuff but for bath towels (no linen closet).

I just moved out of 740 square feet and actually had a huge stockpile in the cabinets above the refrigerator. Since that area wasn’t easily accessible, it was a great spot to put things we didn’t need regularly. Keep in mind, it wasn’t neat and organized…it was packed solid! But, it worked great!

14. Arianna says

We have a random closet in our bathroom that had no shelving or anything in it, so we bought some cheap organizer shelves at target and everything is stored in there.

I put laundry items (stain remover mostly….. I make my own laundry detergent though so the supplies go there too) in the cupboards above my washer and dryer, food goes in the closet under our stairs (we got a bookshelf and a closing pantry to put in there–it stores our office supplies, homeschool supplies, overflow food, musical instruments, and whatever else we can cram in there), and most everything else goes in boxes that are stored under the bathroom sink. We have two bathrooms that have two large cupboards under the sink, but we really only need one–the main bathroom cupboards store our towels, washcloths, and cleaning supplies and hygiene products that we need upstairs. The 1/2 bathroom cupboard houses My first aid box, essential oils, and my two boxes of stockpile items. I don’t buy a whole lot (we don’t use a whole lot, plus I don’t really get to play the drugstore game or anything, so I play it for a month or two at a time, maybe twice a year), so I don’t need a ton of space for my stockpile, but I do have a little bit.

16. Louise says

I live in earthquake country in California, so I always have a stockpile of about 10 days of food and water, just in case. We’re pretty crowded into our house, so I keep the packaged and canned goods in a big Rubbermaid box under the house. The only problem is remembering to rotate the food so that it doesn’t get old, so I mark 2 days on my calendar to go through everything. That way, I don’t end up with a big box of expired food on hand.

17. Rainey says

I love my stockpile, its not to big but its enough that I don’t have to worry about running out of things before I need more. I live in So California and with the earthquake in Japan I started thinking I better get some of these things and batteries and all of our ICE stuff all in the same place. We have lots of water and food. also lots of PDF’s at Red Cross like the earthquake list: http://www.redcross.org/portal/site/en/menuitem.86f46a12f382290517a8f210b80f78a0/?vgnextoid=3750a5f0f013b110VgnVCM10000089f0870aRCRD&vgnextfmt=default

print them out for future reference and make an I.C.E. kit

18. Tracy says

I bought bed risers for my bed and my sons and then I just store our stockpile in small totes under our beds. I make sure to put the items under his bed when he is playing so that he leaves it alone, and he so far has not thought to look under his bed.

19. Teresa says

We have a stand-alone shelf units from Lowe’s as well as a stand-alone and wall-mounted cabinets with doors in our boiler room. My husband is always afraid that I put so much on these shelves that they’ll collapse!

We have no pantry, but have 3 broom closets in the laundry room that we converted to pantry space. They are only about 7 inches deep and 12 inches wide. I asked my husband to put shelves in tall enough to hold 3 cans of veggies. They actually work much better than a pantry did. Perfect for canned goods, baby food, jello, PB, etc.. I can see exactly what I have and it doesn’t take much maneuvering at all to get to it.

21. Pedro says

What we do is we stock up on free (about a years supply) toilet paper, and store it at my mother in law’s house, of course she is free to use as much as she needs. Which also allows us to store any product that we stock up on at her house. We stock pile products for a years supply.