Three Bean Chili Chowder Recipe

This soup has been a family favorite for years. It’s simple, easy and foolproof. And it would be scrumptious with some honey cornbread.

Other posts in the kidney beans series

1. Three Bean Chili Chowder Recipe

Comments

I learned something today! I thought chowders were thickened milk based soups, but I actually looked it up and learned that chowders can be made with milk or tomatoes. So I guess that all the chili I have ever made (typical midwestern ground beef, beans, tomatoes, seasonings, etc.) were chowders! This one sounds yummy, and I’ll give it a try soon. Thanks, Crystal!

-Laura at TenThingsFarm

I use virtually this same recipe but use raw pork – about two pounds – and slow cook it on low for 10 hours. It is a great thing to come home to for this working mum

3. Erin says

This has been one of our staples for years! It’s also good served over spanish rice, or over a baked potato. Pure comfort food!

4. Lei says

I only recently started cooking with beans, so this might be a silly question, but can I use cannellini (white kidney) beans? Would it taste the same?

• Sharon says

Lei,

I think white kidney would be fine. I make a very similar recipe (although it’s called taco soup in our house) that calls for kidney beans. I grab whichever I see first–white or red. It all tastes great. Beans are awesome to cook with–very filling and the kiddos LOVE them.

• Heather says

If you’re looking for even more money-savings and health benefits from beans, try cooking beans from the scratch (bagged beans) in big batches and then freezing into small portions. You can use a baggie of frozen beans in place of canned beans for a fraction of the price and none of the sodium usually found in canned beans.

5. Monica F says

Crystal-
    I appreciate that the printer friendly version doesn’t come with advertisements or require color ink! I know that sounds silly, but I do. Thanks.

You are very welcome! Joy from FiveJs.com figured out how to pull off a very simple print-friendly version of recipes for me — and I’m thankful!

Sounds delicious! We’re all snowed in over here today, so I may have to give this one a try. Also, I LOVE your dishes! Very pretty.

7. Kelley says

I have something similar with blackeyed peas and pork sausage. Let me know if you want to see it.

8. Kristin says

I saw this question earlier and was curious about the same thing, but I didn’t see any replies for it – does anyone know how well this recipe freezes?

9. mildred lane says

going right now to make this. I have meat balls from The Angel Food Ministeries that I plan on using. thanks again.