Super Savings Saturday: Fresh fruits and veggies, four bags of chicken and more!

This is our second week of eating according to the P90X Nutritional Plan and I feel like I’m still feeling my way along. But let me tell you, the extra work is worth it because between eating better, exercising more, drinking more water and getting more rest, I’m feeling completely rejuvenated as a person.

Here’s what we bought at Aldi and Dillons this week — along with some farm-fresh eggs and produce we were given/bought:

All totaled, we spent around $42 on groceries this week. Our four gallons of milk from last week (two regular and two chocolate) ended up being enough to last us through this week, too, so I think it looks like we likely overbought there a little. :)

_______________

Did you snag any great deals or bargains this week or save money in other ways? If so, be sure to post about them on your blog and leave your link below. Please remember that this weekly round-up is to share deals you personally got and/or money you were able to save this week. In order to keep this weekly round-up focused on helping and inspiring others in their efforts to save money, links which have little-to-no content other than promoting affiliate links, etc. will be deleted. Also, to make it easy for everyone to navigate quickly through the links, your link must link directly to your Super Savings Saturday post.

Comments

Hey Crystal, can you explain how you approach finding deals on fruits and veggies? Are you looking for deals there, or do you end up buying things that are discounted due to being damaged or overripe, etc? Any thoughts you can share? I do a CSA Box for most veggies, but I eat a lot of fruit, and I hardly ever find deals on it.

I try to shop at times when I know the stores typically reduce things — though it’s somewhat hit and miss. I’d suggest asking if your stores reduce their fruits and veggies and if so, what times. If not, if you find some things which look like they are past their prime, ask if they’d give them to you at 50% off or something. I’ve found that it never hurts to ask.

2. Diana says

I’m just as curious as Claire is. I enjoy the Super Savings Saturday posts more than any others here, but it doesn’t really hit the spot with explaining HOW you achieved the savings. You also used to do a lot of your $40 menu plans in addition to these posts, and I rarely see those anymore.

Especially considering you’re purchasing many more whole foods and less processed for P90X, it would be greatly beneficial to read the prices and just more elaborative information on your shopping trips and meals.

See my response to Claire for more explanations on the fruit and veggies.

I’m going to try to do better about post price breakdowns as I know it’s helpful to people, but we’ve been busy this Summer with moving and other things so I just haven’t had the extra time to pull if off (the detailed posts with price breakdowns often take me an hour and a half to put together — which I just haven’t had on the weekends recently). We’re getting ready to head out of town tomorrow so I just had to post a quick post this week.

I posted a menu plan two weeks ago for P90X and have plans to do another for Phase 2 soon, as well. I also have plans to do more details on menus and price breakdowns once I have figured out HOW we’re doing P90X on a budget — I’m still figuring that out. :)

Thanks for your patience in the mean time as I put my family first.

• Diana says

@Crystal, Oh wow! I didn’t realize that those posts take 1.5 hours! I appreciate all of the time that you do put into the site, and it’s helped me tremendously. Even if you can’t cater to everyone’s picky little requests. ;)

3. Jan says

do you ever shop at farmer’s markets or just grocery stores? we have been really trying to support buying local

We shopped the Farmer’s Market when we lived in Topeka because it was so handy and the prices were good. Here, it’s on the other side of town and at an inconvenient time, but my husband and I have been talking about trying to make it to check out the prices and whether it’s worth the hassle — and whether it is even local (in some cities, they just truck it in from elsewhere!).

We do buy eggs locally. And we bought cucumbers locally this week, too.

@Crystal, Here in Las Vegas, the produce is trucked in from California to the Farmer’s Markets. It’s super expensive, and I can get California produce at the grocery stores for a lot less.

I hear a lot about buying local, but when you live in the middle of the desert, it’s pretty hard to do! We’re about 5 hours or more from anywhere that might grow something.

Instead, I grow as much of my own food as possible. You can’t get more local than your own backyard! This week I harvested 2 kinds of grapes, Early Elberta peaches, Mission Figs, 3 kinds of tomatoes, oregano, basil, cucumbers, zucchini, pumpkins and apples. Pictures of my harvests are here. I look forward to seeing how your budget changes once you start harvesting food from your own garden!

@Crystal,

Lol – must be a long day. This struck me as SO funny!! :)

How much did you get the chicken for and what part of the chicken is it?

And… I hate asking… but how much are your discounted bananas? It makes me so jealous when I hear how cheap peoples bananas are!! Ours are .35 cents a pound for the discounted ones!! And .49 cents regular price. Even though I hate knowing, I am always curious! :)

So glad you are liking the PX90 – and so good to see another deal blogger buying healthy things – so others can see it’s not just junk that can be bought at a discount!

Thanks for the link up :) I went to Target for some really great deals this week. Spent $5.20 and saved $24.62! I’m new to blogging (and couponing!). What a fund adventure! Thanks for the inspiration. It’s helped so much.

7. sara says

Can I ask how the cereal is going to fit in your menu plan? I just see eggs for breakfast.

Great deals Crystal! As for the banana prices, we pay,typically, 79 cents lb, 59 cents is a GREAT deal (South Florida).
    Stopped at the produce store yesterday (not so sure its local but prices usually beat Publix) and spent $11 for 3 lbs bananas, 2 lbs shrooms, 2 containers strawberries, 2 bunches cilantro, 1 bunch basil, 5 ears corn, 2 lbs of string beans (and something else but can’t remember what) … not so bad as thats the extent of my grocery shopping for the past week :) Been doing the P90X nutrition plan (and sort of the exercise but need to get my schedule down firmer) and really, eating the P90X way is not really all that much more expensive in my opinion. Yes, you CAN have the cereal, it counts as 1 carb AND the milk is 1 dairy so ta da! :) … Crystal, I know that you are going through a transition and I am patient :) The move alone would have pushed me over the edge!

9. Jenny says

I don’t have a blog, but I just wanted to share – I went to our local Mennonite salvage grocery store yesterday and they had 25 lb boxes of peaches for just EIGHT dollars!!! I’ve never gotten peaches so cheap before – and they were great quality – ripe but not overly so! Great deal :)

10. Rachel says

Crystal, I’d love to know what you’re feeding the kids while you are P90X’ing…my kids hate oatmeal but turns out they LOVE Total (thanks for the deal!). Are you feeding them the same thing you eat or making your meals separate from theirs? I think my kids would die without PBJ’s for lunch and mac and cheese every once in a while and it’s definitely not on the P90X diet. I’d just be interested to know your thoughts. My boys are 5 and 7 and definitely not as into the fresh veggies as I am.