Super Savings Saturday: 31 tubes of toothpaste and my first ever video blog

So, I’m stepping way out on a limb and posting a video blog of my shopping trip last night. Please bear with me, as it is completely obvious from the video that I have no idea how to do a video blog.You also might brace yourself for impending sea sickness as I’m holding the camera, showing you my groceries and talking with my hands at the same time. :)

Enjoy! Oh and excuse the mistake of me saying the bananas were $0.29 each. I meant $0.29 per pound!

This shopping trip is a great example of how I practice the Buy Ahead Principle. Stocking up on 31 free tubes of toothpaste might seem excessive, but considering we go through 1-2 tubes per month and the toothpaste deals have been sparse recently, I went ahead and used all my coupons. That way, if there’s not another deal on toothpaste for 18 months, we’re in good shape.

Wondering where I got 31 toothpaste coupons from? Check out my article on 10 Ways to Get Coupons for Free.

Big thanks to Erin from $5 Dinners for the foil pan deal tip, Mary from The Deal Detector for the Crayon deal tip and to my sister for going shopping with me and making it much more fun than if I’d gone by myself.

_______________________
Did you snag any great deals or bargains this week or save money in other ways? If so, be sure to post about them on your blog and leave your link below. Please remember that this weekly round-up is to share deals you personally got and/or money you were able to save this week. In order to keep this weekly round-up focused on helping and inspiring others in their efforts to save money, links which have little-to-no content other than promoting affiliate links, etc. will be deleted. Also, to make it easy for everyone to navigate quickly through the links, your link must link directly to your Super Savings Saturday post.

Comments

Free crayons is just as great as free toothpaste. So encouraging. Thanks for sharing this. I will be praying for Kroger stores to open in Florida! I think we could use double coupons and catalina deals!

BTW, my hubby and I tag team vlogs. He is my camera man. He always lets me know if I have hair on my face and such. We have lots of fun doing videos together. That might work for you too!

• Rae says

@Anna @ Frugal For You, Even if you got a Kroger in Florida, they wouldn’t be allowed to double coupons unfortunately. I read something about it being a law in Florida or something that grocery stores cannot double coupons and that the only reason Kmart gets to do it is because they are not a grocery store. On the bright side, you guys have Publix with all of those great bogo sales, I wish we could have those :)

You did a great job with the video! I still can’t believe you had 31 coupons for Crest! You just inspired me to work harder for deals! I’m using your coupon database that I installed at my site, and I LOVE it!!!

3. Kara says

How did you get 31 coupons for toothpaste? Do you buy 31 newspapers?
    Great job on the video!!

• Jenna says

@Crystal, I agree that there hasn’t been a toothpaste deal in FOREVER! I’ve been waiting as well. So when I realized Sunday morning that there was free toothpaste I grabbed the baby 20 minutes before nap time and ran out the door…no make up sweats and all b/c I knew my store would be wiped out. I live in a smaller town and don’t have a lot of Krogers. I was right. Got 6 tubes and there were probably only 30 left.

My question is how did you get 31 $0.50/1 coupons to double in one transaction? My Kroger will only double up to 3 of same coupon per transaction.

Loved the video…do more!!!

Thanks!

• Jenna says

@Jenna,
          p.s. nevermind. just saw your Dillons has no limits on doubles….times like these wish I still lived in Kansas!

4. Missie says

You did a great job on the video!

Congrats on having a wonderful shopping trip. I love it when I’m able to stock up and pay very little! whoop-whoop for saving money!

5. Kimberly says

I am so impressed! I have a hard time achieving over the 50% mark when the produce and meat are incorporated. You did an amazing job and are so inspirational!

6. Kari says

I thought your video was great! I’m probably going to be in the minority to say this… but I actually like when you just write out the deals instead! The video was 3 1/2 minutes whereas it normally takes me about 20 seconds to read your post. Since I think we’re all about being efficient, I found the written post to be a lot quicker than watching the whole video. Or maybe you could do both- type up the deals as well as post the video? I know that’s more work for you though! Anyways, I love what you do and am normally on board for most things, but I have to say I liked the old way better! :)

Don’t worry, I don’t plan to do this on a weekly basis as it definitely wasn’t extremely efficient! Sorry if it came across like I’m going to be switching over to this from now on!

I was just trying something new to change things up a little bit. But I’ll be back to writing out my deals again next week, rest assured. :)

7. Weeze says

I realize that the crayons came from the grocery store and were a fantastic deal, but when figuring your budget, do you count those as part of your grocery money? or perhaps, homeschooling? or household? Just curious how you do it as I’m documenting every single purchase right now so I can refine my budget. Thanks.

They came out of the grocery budget since they were more-than-free. If they hadn’t been more-than-free or free, they would have come out of our homeschooling budget.

I stocked up on free toothpaste at the end of last year. I am glad I did that because it has been hard to find a good deal on toothpaste lately. Some folks may think that .50 cents off toothpaste is good(without doubling), but we frugal folks know that it’s really good when we get free or nearly free toothpaste. :D I was able to send my husband with six months of free toothpaste on his last deployment, and I really like being able to “shop” my stockpile when we run out. :) A really cool thing about some of my free toothpaste is that some of them came with a free toothbrush on top. That has been a double blessing. Like you, we brush our teeth after every snack and meal around here too, so it’s really great to have a stockpile. I have been wondering and slightly worried about what types of stores will be available to me at our next duty station. Maybe I’ll be next to a Kroger and you can show me the ropes. :) Anyhow, I am rambling here, so I have a question. (You may have answered this in this past.) How do you store your stockpile of toothpaste,deodorant,etc.? I have plastic bins with lids under my bathroom sinks full of these items. (toothpaste,lotion, deodorant,bodywash,etc.) When something runs out I just slide the appropriate bin out and grab a new one. It’s very organized. Then, I have a box in my closet for the excess. It’s a huge walk-in closet, so it doesn’t take up much room. So,that’s what works for me. If you don’t mind answering what works for you; I would appreciate it. (You can e-mail me if you prefer to answer that way. Thanks for everything Crystal. :) By the way, your vlog was fantastic! :D

In our new house, we have a very roomy closet in our basement bathroom that I’m using to store all extra household/hygiene products. It’s organized by product and shelf so I can see at a glance what we’re running low on.

@crysal I was already impressed with you that you could blog, keep your house clean, cook from scratch and homeschool and parent 3 kids. Now, I find out you are brushing your teeth up to 6 times a day as well?????

you must not be human after all. sorry! can i tell you how many days with the kids and the blog that I am making lunch before I realize I have not yet had a chance to brush my teeth that day?

You’re cracking me up! Believe me, I’m so far from superwoman. You shoulda seen the messes in my home this week!

I think my overdoing it on the teeth-brushing came from growing up. My mom had these charts in the bathroom and we’d check off every time we brushed our teeth. It became a contest to see who could outdo the other siblings in the most teeth brushings for the day (yes, we didn’t watch tv so we had to come up with other diversions ;). So I guess I just got to the point where I couldn’t stand to not brush my teeth multiple times per day. But my older sister totally has me beat. I think she brushes her teeth like 12 times per day. She brings her toothbrush with her everywhere and it’s a family joke!

• alyssa says

That’s hilarious! I can see how you made a habit out of it, though. I usually brush 2x a day, though plenty of days I forget in the morning as I get too busy after breakfast. Then again I’ve never had a cavity, so maybe I’m not motivated?! :)
        Glad you found a great deal and have the room to stock up! I guess all the toothpaste I’ve gotten recently is from CVS.

10. Kassandra Wood says

Yaaaaaaaaay! Way to overcome your fear! That was WONDERFUL for your first video post! Your voice is absolutely beautiful and it puts a special twist on feeling like we know you a little bit better! :) Kudos to you, Crystal! I can’t wait to see the next one! Keep up the inspirational posts! You are a ray of sunshine and a breath of fresh air in a financially trying “world” right now! XOXOXOXOXO

11. Amy says

I just went to Kroger (actually 2 because the first one had NO crayons left), and the crayon deal didn’t work. Bought 9 of the $.25 boxes and no catalina :(.

12. becky says

After seeing your face on various websites, it was nice to hear voice that goes with it! Good job on the Vlog Crystal! God bless!

13. Christy says

I have not read through all of the other posts, so someone may have already suggested this. With school starting soon, there may be some charities or churches collecting school supplies for those than cannot afford it. You could also contact public elementary schools nearby, specifically the guidance dept. They probably would welcome any donations for kids that show up with nothing. I teach public elem. school and our guidance dept. has always been awesome about collecting school supplies so that when someone shows up with nothing (often part way through the year because many families struggling economically move a lot), they do not have to send the child off to one of our classrooms emptyhanded. I saw the pride in a second graders’ face at his one notebook, 2 pencils, and box of crayons provided in such a way when he arrived in my classroom last May. It was his 5th school that school year alone and he told me it was the first time he actually got to walk into the classroom with supplies.

Another great idea I got from a friend. Get the silicone molds in whatever shape you want. Peel and melt crayons in them in oven. Let cool and snap out. Last year she made cute snowman, Christmas tree, and star shaped crayons for Christmas gifts for children. She bought $1 coloring books and attached a baggy with 2 of these special crayons. My son still uses them in July! I have a bunch of old crayons that I am planning on doing this with this Christmas because I always like to give my son’s classmates a little something and this may be an inexpensive way to do so. My own students will probably like it too. I did it before with muffin tins and the kids just liked the crayons because they had so many different colors in them. Just some frugal ideas!!

14. Chelsea says

Great video Crystal!

It was interesting to hear your voice. I like the videos even better than when you write out your deals with links and everything (go figure, I’m an audio person :)

Looking forward to the next one!

15. Candice says

I was so excited for you for the free toothpaste I shared with my husband (big mistake!) He wants to know why in the world anyone would buy 31 toothpastes. I’ve tried to explain to him that it doesn’t go bad, it was free, if one didn’t like it one could donate it, etc etc etc. I even read him some blog posts by mrsmoneysaver.com’s husband Ryan.

He just doesn’t get it. And I can tell him those things, he’ll agree, but then the next conversation is *literally* a broken record of the first. All I’ve been able to get out of him is that he worries our stockpile (which is all of about 20 items right now, and contains mostly condiments, Crystal Light, and 4 boxes of brownies I got for $0.49 each) is going to get out of control, that food will get wasted, it will be things we don’t eat, and it will all be junk food. He said he bases this on things that have happened before, which I think is a cop-out, because 1. none of this has happened before (except maybe with perishables that have gone bad) and 2. when I ask for specific examples I get this response, “I don’t know, they just have.”

Any tips or tricks? Do you think this is simple fear or is this a psychological issue? (I’m going for the second, lol. ;p We’ve been married over 10 years, have three children under five, I own and run a small business, and he still thinks that the kitchen is going to stay clean…) I coupon because we *don’t* have the extra money to spend on groceries right now, so I can’t bank the money, and he is more concerned with how much is in the stockpile rather than how much I spent OR saved. Incidentally, when it’s time for a garage sale, I’m the one tossing left and right, and he’s the one holding the 20 year old holey t-shirt to his chest. :P

• Candice says

Oh, and this is a weekly fight between us. If I don’t do it, we can’t really afford much at all, and stockpiling allows us the room for treats. But anytime I plan my grocery shopping trip or want to buy the sunday paper, he tells me “We don’t need groceries.”

Even if we’re out of milk.*

*This is the batchelor mentality. He’s taken to frequently wishing for the good old days as a single guy where dinner consisted of a creatively stir-fried concoction of corn starch, a frozen steak, and a can of tomato sauce and the house was spotless because the only furniture was a couch and a really awesome entertainment system. lol

16. Flossie says

Thanks so much for the Crayola deal and many others. I had a second great trip to Krogers this week. Free cheese, cream cheese, olay body wash, wheatables, mentos, toothepaste, soft soap. My faith in them has been restored.

17. Beth says

Thank you so much! It was great to hear your voice! I agree with the other person who posted that you should show your face next time! Thanks again!

Loved hearing your voice (wow, how many years has it been since we talked on the phone?!) and am wondering why you say “cyou-pon” instead of “coo-pon”! :)

19. Natalie says

Can you explain the crayon tip for Crayola? I went to Mary’s site and didn’t find anything. How did you get paid to buy those?