House-Hunting: Could this be THE house?

Last week, I left you hanging after we’d been house-hunting for six months and were getting kind of tired of hearing the question “Have you found a house yet?” We were also becoming a little lax in our finances because we didn’t have a big goal to work for. So, we sat down and had a Money Meeting to make new financial goals for the following year.

One of the things we talked about seriously at that Money Meeting was “How long are we willing to wait to buy a house?” Meaning, is there some point in looking for a home when we’d feel like it was time to lower our standards and just go ahead and get the best house we could find in our price range at that time instead of waiting it out for something better?

Our reason for contemplating this was because we’d looked at two different houses that week which were both in our price range and in an area we liked. But both of the houses were far from ideal. There were so many issues with both of them that we didn’t like and they’d both need some pretty extensive work before we moved in. We wondered if this was going to be as good as it got. They were adequate and we could make them work, but we certainly didn’t like either of them.

Maybe we were being too particular? Maybe we just weren’t going to find what we were looking for in the price range we’d set?  We really wanted to get a house we both loved, but were we being unrealistic? Perhaps we should just settle for something less-than-ideal, even if both of us really didn’t like it. After all, we’ve rented plenty of less-than-ideal places before and been perfectly content!

At the same time, we both didn’t want to fork over pretty much our entire savings account for something neither of us really liked. Something just didn’t seem right about that!

So we both agreed that we’d wait it out another six months and then re-evaluate how things were going. We also prayed together — for the umpteenth time! — that God would give us specific and clear wisdom and direction in this process.

Less than two days later, a house went on the market which met a lot of our criteria. It was in our price range and in an area we really liked, it had three bedrooms on the main floor and a master bathroom.

The bizarre thing was that there were no pictures posted online. We’d never looked at a house that hadn’t had pictures posted online, but for some reason this one caught our eye. And in a very uncharacteristic mode, we went and drove to the house to check it out. And as soon as we saw it, we both almost squealed: it was beautiful.

Surely there’d been some mistake. A house this beautiful couldn’t actually be in our price range.

So we figured there must be a reason there were no pictures online. It must have been gutted on the inside or something. But we still both just had to wonder if maybe this was THE house? However, we had no idea what the inside looked like nor did we have a clue whether the kitchen was anything decent so we tried our best not to get our hopes up until we’d actually seen it.

They weren’t allowing showings for a whole entire week because they were painting the inside. So what else was there to do but wait?

Never before in the house-hunting process had I felt like I was on pins-and-needles, but that whole week, I couldn’t seem to focus on anything else. I was terribly anxious to get to go inside the house, or see pictures or something. It was an excruciatingly long week.

Finally, the day arrived. I tried hard to prepare myself for the worst as I didn’t want to have my hopes dashed.

However, I could have hardly prepared myself for what the inside of the house looked like. In fact, I almost felt like crying: it was utterly gorgeous.

And then I walked into the kitchen. And I, who am usually terribly composed and rarely get dramatic about anything, had to suppress a squeal. The kitchen was amazing, just amazing.

The whole house was absolutely perfect. Everything we’d said were essentials, everything we’d hoped it might possibly have, all the little things that we’d always thought would really nice to have, but never expected we’d actually find in a house in our price range — this house had it all.

It felt like a dream and I was about ready to burst with excitement.

But of course, we had a few more hurdles to cross… so I tried my best to contain my excitement before it was really real.

To be continued next week… (I was hoping I could finish the story in one post, but alas, there’s too much to write!)

Comments

1. Tina says

I’ve been waiting all week to read this post!! Can’t wait to read the other one next week!

2. Emily says

Great news! That’s how we felt when we saw the house we put an offer on! (Our home now, that is)
    We were frustrated because houses were too big or too small or had akward layouts, not-great additions finally, just the right house appeared!

3. abbie says

Hey Crystal-it’s too late for this year, but does your new yard have a spot for a garden? Are you planning your first harvest? :-)

4. Megan says

I need some inspiration like this. Our plan is for me to save as much money as I can until January, then cut down to weekends at work and finish my degree. Then when I get a career in the field, my fiance to cut down at work and do the same by earning his degree. In 5 years I’ll be 30 and he’ll be 26, by then we’re planning to (hopefully) buy a house in Texas – we live in Indiana now. Crossing our fingers and working hard to achieve our dreams. This site is what gave me the inspiration to really go through with it!

5. Malia says

Ugh! You gave me a cliffhanger! On a FRIDAY!! Please post quickly next week (and maybe you can include some pictures?)! God bless you as you decide. Of course, for all we know, you’ve decided already and we can’t find out until Monday… :-)

6. Kelly T. says

Congratulations to you and your family. I hope everything works out for you. After all your hard work to save 100% for a house, you deserve nothing but the best. You inspire me to save money and set high goals. I can’t wait to read the rest….

7. Amy says

you’re killin us with all of these cliffhangers! We want pictures! We want pictures! We want pictures! lol i’m so excited for you!

8. Angel says

Congrats to you and yours! On pins and needles waiting for the rest of the story…. :)

Next week?!!! We can’t wait until next week!!

Congrats on finding the perfect house!! It sounds amazing!

It sounds like you already did, but make sure you Thoroughly investigate everything in the house. A friend of mine bought an amazing house and found that the foundation of the house was rotting and it was hidden behind newly installed walls. But as you said, I’m sure you already investigated everything!

Can’t wait to see pictures!!! (whatever you feel comfortable showing us)
    Enjoy your new house!!!

wow this is sooo exciting! I think all your visitors are pretty happy and excited for you, all your hard work paid off. You are so kind to offer us all your insights and information and posts for free on your site and have probably helped out a ton of visitors with all you do, so I think we really like to see that all your work actually helped do something great for your family!! I can’t wait to read the rest, congrats!!!

11. Lisa says

Congratulations! Very, very happy for you. What a testimony that you have done this the right way – no debt!!!- and continued to give it over to God for His direction.

I just came across your site today. I can’t remember now from where, the Simple Blogs perhaps and have been sitting here reading your story. I wasn’t paying attention to the dates and when I got to the end of this one wondered why there wasn’t another link. Now I have to wait to hear the end of this great story. What an amazing story it is too. I’m feeling inspired and wanting to share some of this with my husband.

13. Tracy says

Congrat (I’ll write the other half when it is yours – don’t want to jinx anything)…. May the good lord continue to watch over your family and may all things possible happen (which from the looks at it, they are). From reading your post I can feel the excitement in your writing. I truly am happy for you and your entire family. If this house is meant to be, it will be yours. Sending prayers your way…..

14. Luana says

God is good, all the time! From reading your blog and seeing your
    Christian faith shine through, this is no surprise. God has said over
    and over in His word to wait for Him and you did. Reminds me of
    Eph. 3:20.

15. Lisa O Shea says

Yes dont leave us waiting, im soooooooooooo excited for the next installment!Please tell me its just a two parter!!

16. Brenda Adams says

Just went through this whole thing so know what you are going through,,,,if this isn’t the house (home) for you it just means something better is on it’s way….CONGRADS. if it it’s what God wants for you

This is way too cool! I can’t wait to see pictures, I can only imagine how awesome it must feel to OWN your first house!! :)

18. jan says

Around here if a house is listed with no pictures it means it’s in bank foreclosure or sheriff’s sale.