A Dream Come True: Paying Cash for Our First Home

When we walked into this house, we both instantly fell in love with it. It was everything we were looking for — and so much more! Best of all? It was in our price range.

While we both were a little antsy to go ahead and put a contract on it, we wanted to research out everything more thoroughly, think it through, pray about it some more, sleep on it overnight and bring both of our dads to investigate it again with us to make sure we weren’t missing anything which we needed to be aware of.

There were already quite a few showings scheduled, so we felt it was best to not piddle around. We scheduled a time to come back and look at the house the next day with our dads and then we went home to pray and think.

Once home, we researched flood plains, tax appraisals, register of deeds documents, homes in the area which had recently sold and how much they sold for and we spent a long time praying for wisdom. We wanted to be 100% sure God was leading us to put a contract on this home. We really didn’t want to practically clean out our entire bank account for something which was not His will for us!

And the more we researched and prayed, the more the lights turned green. Based upon the prices of comparable houses in the area which had recently sold and based upon what we felt the home was worth, we decided upon what we wanted to offer.

The next day, we went back to look at the home praying that if there was any reason we weren’t supposed to put an offer on the house, God would make it very clear to us. Well, in going through the house with a fine-toothed comb again, we only came to like it even more. And our dads really liked it as well and felt the offer we had decided upon was fair.

So, with great excitement, we signed the contract. And within a few hours, the sellers accepted!

We had a hard time believing it was really and truly for real. After talking, dreaming, working and praying towards the goal of paying cash for a house, it felt rather surreal that it had actually happened.

A few weeks later, we drove Old Blue Van into town and signed our names on the dotted line to become home owners. We were chuckling while driving there about how crazy it was to be driving a clunker to pay cash for a home. We felt a little out of place when we drove up to a parking lot full of shiny almost-new cars.

But, in a way, it seemed so fitting. Being content with a clunker instead of upgrading to a newer car was just one of the many reasons we were in a position to pay cash for a house.

After signing the contract and getting the keys, Jesse and I headed over to our new home. It is hard to describe the feelings which washed over us when we pulled up into the driveway. To see our dreams come to fruition. To see the sleepless nights and long days of working and saving pay off. To see the realization of years of scrimping.

It was far from a fleeting momentary giddiness; it was a deep fulfilling feeling in the bottom of our souls. By the grace of God, we had paid cash for our first home.

And we knew beyond any shadow of a doubt that God is good. We stepped out in faith and obedience at the beginning of our marriage to follow His leading to be counter-cultural and follow the Biblical principle of “owing no man anything” (see Romans 13:8). It has been far from easy and there have been many times when we’ve wanted to give up and give in. But as we’ve stayed faithful and obedient — even when the going got very tough — He has blessed that obedience and faithfulness far beyond our wildest imaginations.

Without God’s blessing and provision, we would never have been position to pay cash for a home. But He has seen fit to bless us with a spacious home that meets and exceeds all of our expectations. And it’s a testament to His goodness and graciousness to bless His children with good gifts. It is our heart’s desire that we be wise stewards of this home He has entrusted to us.

Comments

1. Kelly says

I just wanted to say congratulations! It brought tears to my eyes. I know the joy of being a homeowner is exciting on its own but to do it debt free is beyond exceptional. We are not even near the good situation that you are in but you give me hope that things will get better. Please don’t misunderstand – I am very fortunate, I have a great loving husband, wonderful children and we are making it work but you have really inspired me to hope and pray for more. Good Luck and thank you! KELLY

What an awesome testimony! May your years in this home be filled with joy, laughter, sweet memories and the constant reminder of God’s blessing on your financial faithfulness. You guys rock!!

P.S. The kitchen is lovely. When do we get to see the rest?

3. jacki says

Thanks for sharing your journey. You are an inspiration and encouragment. Congratulations on your accomplishment. Post some more pictures of your new home!

4. Sara says

I know I’m only one of many saying this, but congratulations! God IS good. Enjoy your new home.

5. Lisa says

AMAZING! Congratulations! What a fantastic story. You are an encouragement to many and an example of how God provides all our needs and all we have to do is trust and follow him! :o)

WOW that is SUCH a blessing and so awesome that you were so obedient to God. I know God can never steer you wrong and it is wonderful to see a family who still prays and believes in God. I am so happy for your family! Enjoy your new beautiful home!

7. Rebekah says

That’s amazing!!!! We are working on getting our house paid off so we can be completely debt free!!!!!

8. kara says

Congratulations and what an incredible testimony you have to share about God’s incredible blessings! Thanks for some pictures!!! It truly is a beautiful home with Jesus Christ as the Cornerstone.

9. sandy says

CONGRATULATIONS to you and your sweet family. You are such and inspiration to so many and especially young families. I have sent so many people to your website( standing in line at the grocery store, friends , family etc) I am hopeful that more people will start trying to live similar to your family putting GOD and faith before every thing else, Thank you for all your hard work and Congratulations again. Oh yes, we all want to see more pictures!!!

10. Lori says

Congratulations! It looks beautiful!

We, too, are looking to pay cash for a house. I thank God for your post today because we were looking at houses and your idea of looking up the assessed tax value may have just saved us THOUSANDS! God is so good!

11. Lauren says

Congratulations! What a powerful story of patience and obedience. Your blog has always been inspiring in so many ways. Thank you so much for sharing. I hope you and your family enjoy your home for many years to come.

12. Debi B says

Just wanted to add that I LOVE the kitchen. I love how the sink/dishwasher are on a whole separate counter than the place where you cook your food. Brilliant! I’ve never seen it completely separated like that! :)

Congratulations for your new home.:-) Reading your post really inspired me to talk to GOD of my plans and my heart’s desires, and have faith in HIM knowing that He will lead me to a very good decision. I admire you and your husband for all your efforts in saving money and just trusting in GOD. Thanks!! You are an inspiration to everyone.:-)

What a beautiful new home & what a blessing! I read the post that you unfortunately chose to delete because of people taking it wrong. I just wanted to let you know that I think you had every right to publish that. It just showed the sacrifices that you made in order to be able to pay cash for a new home. We do some of those things, but not near all and not near to the extent that you’ve done. That’s just a personal choice. I’ve chosen to eat out when I know we could save more by eating at home. That is my choice. All those things that you did were your choice. We have the freedom of speech and you should be able to talk about your choices and decisions without readers freaking out. Just my opinion, now. I love this blog and thank you very much for all the work you do and how you’ve set an example of was is *possible* if we were all willing to make those same sacrifices.

• Michelle says

@onemotherslove, I didn’t get to read it – only the post after she said she deleted it due to comments. I sure wish I was able to just for the simple fact that I would love to know all and every way possible to see how to be as frugal as I can be. I am a very strong willed person and I would love the challenge if only I knew what more I can do that I’m not already. It’s great to see it work for others and then be able to practice. I’m just shaking my head that others would make comments negatively against someone with such a fantastic goal and heart after God to the point where it is felt to delete it all. Maybe someone could share this with me as to inspire me and possibly get me to think a little more intently.

• JuliB says

@Michelle, I agree. I wash shocked that people would put hateful things. I was debt-free (execpt for mortage), then started a business. Unfortunately, I am now loaded with debt and am climbing back out.

I don’t go the austerity route myself, but find myself motivated and uplifted by this blog. It would be nice if she could repost it with the comments off, if nothing else.

15. Mandi Harris says

I have been waiting for this post! Thank you so much. I was really, really hoping you would post pictures of it and I am so glad you did. What an an exciting and inspirational day!!

16. Sharon Warner says

Thank you for your story. I cried as I saw the confirmation of God’s promises in your life. I am believing for a miracle in our lives also, and your story was a comfort and encouragement to just hold on to what Gods has promised. Thank you so much.

17. Jennifer says

YOU GO GIRL!!!! My husband and I are in the middle of our debt snowball, and I LIVE to hear stories like yours! I need need need to be inspired as we pull ourselves out of the massive debt that we created! Thank you for sharing with us!

18. Nicole says

I just want you to know that I read the response that you had to put on your emails about this being a burden to some people. Unfortunately, doing what God wants you to do and following His will for your lide will make some people unhappy. I am very excited for you and your family, and I want you to know that you have helped me with saving money on my groceries and getting great coupons and savings. Thank you so much for what you do, and for glorifying God through all of it!

“If the Lord is for us, then who can be against us?”
    I had skimmed your article when it came across my email yesterday, and after today’s post, of course I went back and re-read it carefully looking for the part that would have been burdensome or offensive. Uh, couldn’t find it. Looked again. Couldn’t find it. We are to be “in this world but not be of it” and you have certainly shown that when we take a stand to follow Christ and live by Godly principles then we will face some sort of opposition. What an encouragement your story is! “I can do all things through Christ”… remember the story of the talents? This is the modern-day version. Congratulations, and thank you for sharing.

20. Toni :O) says

That is SO awesome!!! You give us all inspiration! Congratulations and I hope your new home brings you many wonderful memories and even more blessings! God bless!

21. Sherry says

THANK you for sharing your life with us! Reading this post also brought tears to my eyes and I have shared the story with so many people and they are all so amazed! My husband and I started Financial Peace in March 2010 and are still working on baby step 1, but the debts are beginning to decrease and it feels so good! Thanks for sharing your tips on saving money. I don’t know what would have been offensive and remember what Dave says, “Live like no one else so you can live like no one else!” You guys got it and should be proud of your hard work! Our God is an awesome God!

22. Michelle H. says

“We were chuckling while driving there about how crazy it was to be driving a clunker to pay cash for a home.”

Congrats on the new house! And at least you didn’t lock the keys in the car like my husband did when we drove our clunker to our house signing. : )

23. Jessica says

WOW!!!!! This blows my mind- NO debt, NO mortgage…That house is really, truly YOUR home….What an accomplishment!!!!!!!

24. Karen Pruneau says

Congratulations on your purchase. I have been showing your site to my sons, grades 8 and 7 for encouragement. I have a little put aside for their education, but they are going to have to finance most of it themselves. I have been wondering if I should cancel their RRSP’s and pay off my house. I guess you would be saying yes.

25. Michelle says

I’m so super excited for your family – God is so good and has truly blessed your lives. I have a quesstion in my pursuit: As you were saving for your 100% down on your home, where did this money sit? In a shoebox? in a savings acct? in a money market account? was it accessible for the exact time you needed it? was it making money for you as well? I just got lost at this point and can’t seem to figure this step out. Thank you so much for all the encouragement you have given me. I love love love Dave Ramsey as well. I also drive a 1998 explorer and hope to for at least another 2 years while becoming debt free. I actually only have student loan left so I’m getting pretty excited as I can start to see the light a little better. Thanks for the answer to the question in advance and being an inspiration. Love your blog!

26. Tranquility says

So happy for you that you got a very nice place. I love your blog so much how God’s glorify in many ways!! We are also trying to buy our second home with cash, too so it will take a while, but we are pretty excited what the Lord has for us, too:) My hubby is working full time and going school. I also have one son to take care of which is not easy sometimes, but God has been abundantley blessing and providing us faithfully. So nice to see His grace in your life. Congrats on being a home owner!!!!

27. Tara says

Congratulations!! You are inspiring me to try to do the same. I am not sure we can do the whole no debt route yet due to recent happenings, but it is my new goal to to save all the money for a house. We currently own and are VERY close to selling and downsizing so we can save monthly.

My question to you is what are you saving for now, now that you are in a house without a mortgage payment? Are you just putting the money in savings or do you have a new goal?