Three Easy Meals from Leftover Ham

Easter is over and there’s a good possibility many of you have quite a bit of leftover ham at your house. Liz from Hoosier Homemade is sharing some delicious recipes today for using up your leftover ham.

The holidays are a great time to buy the meat when it’s on sale. I bought a ham at Aldi last week for $0.99 per pound. It cost me $8.37, and we got 5 meals out of it. Although we love Scalloped Potatoes and Ham, we were a little tired of it, so I came up with some new recipes to make using our leftover ham.

What are your favorite ways to use up leftover ham?

Liz is a SAHM of 3 teenage boys and happily married for 20+ years. She shares lots of homemaking tips including her love for baking, cooking and decorating on Hoosier Homemade. She hosts the Cupcake Tuesday blog carnival with lots of cupcake creations.

Comments

1. jennifer says

Thank you! I was blessed to get some ham from our family dinner and will be using your quiche recipe! I think I will make it in mini muffin tins so I can freeze and heat up for the kiddos. We also love ham in our breakfast burritos!

2. New England Girl says

Thanks Crystal! Two family favorites:

Ham and broccoli pizza, omitting tomato sauce and brushing the crust with olive oil and lemon juice. Mmm.

Ham risotto, using chicken broth, onions, arborio rice, and chopped ham. Serve with cheddar and fresh diced tomatoes to sprinkle on top.

3. Melissa says

I like taking ham and making a breakfast quiche with it. You can mix and match whatever you family likes.

4. Megan says

That quiche looks really yummy! I might have to look for a ham on sale when I hit Wal-Mart today. Scalloped potatoes and ham is always tasty too, thanks for the ideas!

5. stacy says

we have a bunch of ham leftover glad to see all the ideas-anyone know if ham previously frozen can be re frozen?

I love to cook by the seat of my pants. This is something I came up with years ago to use up ham steaks. I boil a pound of egg noodles. Add a can of cream soup, about 2 cups shredded cheddar (or whatever flavor!) cheese, cubed ham and a little milk (maybe 1/2 c.). Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes. This is a wonderful comfort food!

I have just been thinking about this subject, as I bought 2 12-pound hams for $.99/lb. I put one in the freezer, but I still have quite a bit left of the other ham after our Easter dinner yesterday. So far, the meals I’m thinking of are:

Hot pockets, with ham, mozzarella cheese, pizza sauce, and canned pineapple tidbits.

Bean soup….yum…and so easy in the crockpot. Onion, 30 oz. diced tomatoes, dried beans (I use a 13-bean mix), ham bone with meat on it, some water, salt (if needed), pepper, garlic, and a little lemon juice or vinegar.

Anything with eggs and ham. Scrambled, quiche, omelet, etc.

Macaroni and cheese with ham and peas.

Ham and tomato sandwiches.

And maybe I’ll just chop some ham up and freeze in Ziplocks for easy meals in the future.

We don’t have ham very often, because it’s not especially nutritious, but when we do have leftovers, they go a long way, and they’re always yummy.

8. Michelle says

I second the ham fried rice. We had that for lunch today! Rice, ham, peas, green onions, soy sauce, eggs. Easy, easy, and so yummy.

• Michelle says

I heat sesame oil (if I have it or olive oil otherwise) in a wok skillet. To that I add frozen peas (1/2 cup) and chopped green onion (1/4 cup). Cook for 3 minutes or so, add rice (1 1/4 cup) and cooked, chopped ham (1/2 cup) and cook a few more minutes. Then make a hole in the middle of the skillet by pushing the rice mixture up the sides of the skillet. Add one egg and stir tell set, slowly mixing it in the rice. Add soy sauce to taste and enjoy! I use left over rice and generally double or triple the recipe. We eat it up and it’s good left over too.

9. Jerilyn says

We make a hash skillet (instead of corned beef we use ham with potatoes and eggs). We love breakfast for dinner.

Also, split pea soup with ham. :)

10. Darla says

We have a favorite at our house with leftover ham that may sound a little weird, BUT it is so good! All you do is put some cooked spaghetti noodles in everyone’s bowl and then put on a scoop of cottage cheese and top it all off with some ham gravy that you have made with ham, milk, butter, flour and salt and pepper. I will be making it this week–yummy!

Since we ate TONS of ham and bean soup over the winter, we’ll be trying other recipes. We also have a son with an egg allergy, so all the quiche and omelet recipes are out for us. We’re planning: Ham and pineapple pizza, Ham biscuits, toasted subs, ham and potato hash. I also like tossing diced ham into mac n cheese for a quick lunch.

12. Molly says

I LOVE to make a good pot of vegetable soup with my leftover ham. You can follow any recipe for vegetable soup and use the ham instead of beef and it gives it a whole new flavor! I’ve always hated most vegetables and this is one of the ways I can eat them without gagging!!

dice up some potatos (how ever much you think your family needs)
    enough broccoli to do the same
    ham diced
    a white gravy sauce

put in a 9×13 pan with some cheese sprinkled on top (parmersean was always a favorite) for about 20 minutes – 30 minutes.

Voila. Serve with a light salad.

14. Lisa says

We use leftover ham in “Hawaiian Sandwiches”, which are simply grilled cheese sandwiches using a slice of sharp cheddar cheese, slice of ham, and slice of pineapple (I drain a can of pineapple rings on a paper towel before assembling the sandwiches). I use a hearty whole grain bread and pop these on the panini press – SO GOOD!! I serve them with cottage cheese on the side. My picky eater 5 year old and 3 year old love this meal :)

I plan on making grilled ham and cheese sandwiches with Dijon mustard for extra punch, but that recipe for Tortellini Bean and Ham Salad looks so good I may have to make that too!

16. Wendi Sisson says

We are not big fans of soup once it gets warmer like it is here, but some of the other recipes sound delish. I’d love to hear suggestions for “cooler” foods to serve as the weather gets warm. For example, I’m trying to find a chilled pasta salad recipe to use up some ham. Also I think I’ll try deviled ham if I can borrow a food processor. Seems like I’ve seen deviled eggs with ham in them too. And some of the other mentioned recipes can be prepared without turning on the oven, like sandwiches on a panini press or pizza on the grill.

17. Ashley Bullock says

Thank you thank you thank you! I have a TON of leftover ham and it’s only my daughter and I here at the house…I was looking for ham recipes today! I’m not a cook so I need some advice. Can I make some of these things and freeze them? I’ll never be able to use all this ham and I’d hate to see it go bad. :(

I made that Cheesy Potato Casserole (Cr. of Celery soup, hash brown potatoes, cheese, sour cream…) tonight and added cubed up ham and wow! That was delicious.

19. B says

tonight for dinner, i made pasta with plain ‘ol tomato basil spaghetti sauce and added spinach, mushrooms and chopped up ham. it was kinda like having pancetta in the pasta! i made sure to brown the mushrooms and ham and spinach before adding to the sauce.