Dealing With Toy Overload – Part 1

When you come to our home, you might notice one thing right off: it’s bare. We don’t have many knick-knacks, we don’t have piles, and we have white walls.

It might seem utilitarian to some and extremely bland to others, but it’s the way we prefer to live. It saves us time because we don’t have to spend a lot of time looking for misplaced items under heaps of clutter. It saves us energy because we don’t have a lot of extra things to pick up or dust. And it saves us money because we’re content with keeping it simple.

Even though we have three young children, you won’t see many toys at our house. This is not because they are all stuffed in some closet or strewn about in a toy room. It’s because we just plain don’t have very many toys.

You see, when we got married and had our first child, we were living in a tiny basement apartment. Space was scarce so we had no choice but to stick to the basics. If it wasn’t essential, we couldn’t keep it because there wasn’t any room.

We grew to love living the minimalistic life and found that it made things so much easier to keep picked up and clean that we opted to continue living like this–even when we moved to a larger home. We figured at some point, our children would want to have more toys but we’d cross that bridge when we came to it.

Well, so far, we’ve found that our girls really don’t need many toys. In fact, they are perfectly happy with a few quality, versatile toys. They’d much rather play with cardboard boxes or build tents with old sheets, folding chairs and couch pillows than have the latest and greatest gadgets and gizmos. The few bells-and-whistle toys we’ve had in the last couple of years served to entertain for a short while and then were abandoned for Legos, puzzles and creative play.

Tomorrow I’ll share some ways we’ve found to keep toys simple, organized and pared down at our house–including ideas for dealing with well-meaning relatives who are adding to the toy overload at your house.

Other posts in the Dealing with Toy Overload series

1. Dealing With Toy Overload - Part 1
  2. Dealing With Toy Overload - Part 2

Comments

1. cwaltz says

I don’t have the relative “problem” as others have. My problem is the two youngest still want the excitement of spending their “allowances” and often will choose buying small toys over saving for a larger one(and since technically it is their money I don’t do anything other than remind them that once they spend it they don’t get more and that if they are saving for something like a Wii card that they just made their wait longer). I do have a pretty strict bin policy since space is a premium(each boy has one bin and the top must fit on it;when it doesn’t it’s time to donate or purge). Still I feel like I spend more than my share of time stepping on LPS accessories.

• Courtney says

@cwaltz, We had this problem, too! Our solution is to give the kids their allowance only once a month. They get $5/week, so at the end of every month they get $20-25. So far, it’s working great. They are much more focused on saving their money up for something special rather than blowing it on little things.

2. Stephanie says

My stepson had so much stuff given by generous relatives that we ended up having a discussion with my husband’s parents and stepson’s godmother asking them to cut it out. He had so many games, books and toys given to him that he did not even know what he had and nothing meant anything.
    Our house is fairly organized and everything has a place but we were getting stuffed with stuff and running out of room.
    The grandparents got it when they were visiting and he bought several books with his own allowance that he already owned (the grandparents gave them as a birthday gift). He didn’t realize that he already had the books because his bookcase was so full he couldn’t find anything. The scary thing is this was AFTER the 2x year purge of outgrown/broken/unused stuff!!
    His godmother still gives too much but got a lot better after the basketball arcade game ended up broken in the garage after being used twice. She gave him a game that was six feet long, three feet wide and three feet high. He played with it for one day and then we had to disassemble it because there was no room anywhere. We were going to leave it up in the garage but then there was no room for our camping gear and garden supplies. Sadly, one of the pieces was broken in storage so now the behemoth doesn’t even work.
    She was annoyed, we were annoyed and now she gives experience gifts. My stepson has an aquarium membership that he loves and every time he talks to her he gushes about all the fun stuff he gets to see there.
    I understand wanting to give what you want to give but checking with the adults first just seems like a great idea. My in laws have saved themselves so much aggravation and wasted money by saying “we were thinking of x,y or z- what do you think?” and we can tell them if he already has it, would love/hate it or if someone already bought it for him.
    Now that he is not drowning as much in stuff he takes better care of what he has.

3. Stacie says

I really wish I had done this when my kids were small. They are now teenagers and we live the minimalistic life now. Took some time for them to get used to it but I don’t miss that awful clutter at all. I can’t believe how much “stuff” we had and the kids would play with about 10 percent of what they had. All that money wasted.

Thanks for this post, Crystal. Hopefully you can help other young families get on the right track. Your children are adorable!

It sounds like a lot of us are eager to hear the ‘well-meaning relatives’ solution! My three children (5 and under) are the only grandchildren on both sides, plus they have quite a few aunts and uncles. I am selective what I choose for my children now (this is something I have learnt over time), but we still have a lot of toys coming in from other sources. We are blessed with a playroom, but I still find toys have a tendency to take over the house. I know my children have way too many toys, so I am eager to read your upcoming post.

Wow, am I excited for this series! We have an 11-month old daughter and I can’t BELIEVE how generous people have been with her! We’ve bought her a few toys (probably more than we should have), but generally they’ve been useful things like books, teething rings, and the occasional stuffed animal. But she has TONS of toys! There’s a small toy basket in her room, a bigger toy basket in the living room, an overflowing basket of stuffed animals, a toy box full of toys, and some “loose” toys like a xylophone and a wooden train her grandpa made her. Many of the toys are great and creative–blocks, the train, books, etc–but many are just junk. We especially dislike battery-operate toys that encourage passive use, and they tend to “disappear” shortly after she receives them, but it’s hard to get rid of things! In the case of gifts given by relatives who visit (like grandparents), I tend to keep toys around long enough for them to see them once or twice, and then if she doesn’t play with them and/or we hate it (like those battery-operated toys), we sell or donate them. There’s just no way for us to keep every toy given to us!

6. kristy says

What a great post!!! I completely agree that less is more. Children love structure and creativity and with too many toys those get lost in the mess.
    I have found a great way to decrease the amount of toys coming from relatives. Around the holidays and birthdays when people ask about gift ideas I mention memberships to museums and centers in the area. Sometimes a few family members with put money together for a year membership to the zoo or science center. It is great. Our family memebrs have loved transitioning to that, because they see how much our family enjoys those activities and it is not just another toy to add to the pile.

7. Elizabeth says

I don’t feel that we have too many toys for having 4 boys, but I would love to see some pictures of your kids toys. Like how you organize the few that you have. I am always reorganizing and getting rid of stuff. I love to see how others organize to give me more ideas and new motivation.

Even though we have a small family in terms of gift giving, and they do not go overboard, my house is still filled with toys. I occasionally donate one or two that I notice my 3.5 yo dd no longer plays with. and I’m about to do a bigger purge because we have a baby on the way and we want to move next year.

Thankfully, one set of grandparents is pretty good about giving “experience” gifts after some problems with tangible gifts in the past. They give me an annual zoo membership for our family for Christmas. They give my husband a AAA membership. And our daughter gets a science museum family membership. I love that- I don’t have to clean it, store it, organize it, it doesn’t get broken, left on the floor, tripped over or lost.

With my parents, they ask for a list and whenever I make one they get everything on it. Even though they cannot really afford to. This past Christmas I only put a few things on it and they took it upon themselves to get other things, including some things she already had or that I didn’t think were appropriate (a humongous bath toy that we didn’t have room for; anyway, our daughter showers with me and we don’t have room in there for a big bath toy and the two of us- my daughter will NOT take a bath, she prefers showers!).

However, my daughter recently expressed an interest in taking ballet classes, so here’s to hoping that instead of toys my parents can get her tights and a leotard for her class this fall for a birthday gift rather than more (junky) toys!

9. Patti says

I am happy that you are a minimalist, but some of us aren’t and that’s ok, too. My goal is to only keep things that are meaningful or beautiful to me or my husband or son. Even then, with well-meaning family and friends and the way of the world in general, that is a lot of stuff! It is a constant battle.

One way I have been able to keep my son’s clutter at bay is to teach him to yard sale it! He is now a teenager but we started when he was young (maybe 6 or 7). We would advertise a “boy” yard sale and sell all the toys and clothes he had grown tired of. He would take his money and buy one big item. At first it was Lego kits, then a cd music player, then a foosball table… now he just likes the spending money. It is amazing how excited they become at making the decisions to get rid of things (as the sales heat up, more stuff comes out of the house!) and with a goal of a new item, it is a win-win situation.

10. Jennifer Kaiser says

Very good post! We’ll be moving to an apartment this summer with four little kids and this post was really good timing!
    What REALLY caught my attention was Kaitlynn’s hair!! That girl has a LOT of it :-)

Whew, your youngest daughter has got some HAIR! I am envious!

Some people have wondered how to unload their extra stuff, someone mentioned that Goodwill is limited in what they can accept. I personally use and love Freecycle. We have given out and received lots of stuff from my “neighbors” and met some nice people in the process!

I am hoping you will address how you politely explain to well-meaning (but spoiling) friends and grandparents that you are trying to cut back on the stuff? We already have been given three brand new bathing suits for our 11 month old and it won’t be warm enough to use them for another couple months! I have tried to make it clear that we don’t *need* a lot but my pleas go unheard. Thanks!

I have a question on this topic that I would love for you or your readers to address: How do you keep grandparents/extended family from overloading your kids? Despite my strong suggestion that my kids don’t need any more toys and would prefer to just enjoy time with them, my aunts feel it is necessary to give my kids toys every birthday and Christmas. Along with the overwhelming amount of toys that come from my in-laws we get inundated by new toys (many that my kids never play with) every Christmas. I try hard to be gracious, but honestly, it often just becomes clutter. HELP!

• Crystal says

@Sharon @ UnfinishedMom,

I commented about this, but here is what I do:

1. Ask for books, clothing, other needs in place of toys.
      2. I finally set a hard and fast rule of 1 gift/toy at birthdays. I threatened that anything past that would be donated without even looking at it, don’t care what it cost. I’m sure my family things I’m too strict, but they got over it and all is well.

Christmas is still kind of harder but it’s okay too. and I finally got my mom to stop with the Easter baskets too

My mom just “surprised” me, at my house, with a Thomas the Train table (with accessories) that she’s been threatening to buy for my 1 and 3 year old for a year. We have repeatedly told her NO. The kids don’t even like Thomas, and we have a train set that gets zero use. She spent over $300 on it. It’s not something I can adamantly refuse (or sell) without causing some major huge drama. As for other toys, Mom remembers EVERY SINGLE TOY or clothing she has bought for the kids (millions), and makes a point to look for them when she’s here every couple of months, especially if she knows I was hesistant about accepting it, since she knows I’ll give it away or sell it. And then she tells all my family how ungrateful I am, and how they should never buy anything nice for me or my family since I’ll just sell it for the money because that’s all I care about. Sooooo……this is different from the “well-meaning relative” catagory, but hopefully there will be some advice I can take with me.

On the other hand, my kids DO play with a lot of their toys. Every time I try to weed through them, I can honestly say that they played with it in the past 2-3 days….my daughter’s hundred stuffed animals ALL get regular use. Not kidding.

• Christina says

@Lindsey, That’s what we do. Especially any noisy toys. They stay at “MammawPappaw’s” house. That way they get to enjoy seeing my 4 y.o. son play with it, and it doesn’t have to come to my house :)

We have done a couple of things with well-meaning grandparents for birthdays/Christmas. We often suggest an experience rather than items. So for Christmas, my family asked for a membership to the children’s museum and my grandparents got that for my kids and my husband and I. Because we are having our third child, a boy, my daughter gets her own room, so for her birthday we asked family members to contribute to the room decor (new bedding, a night table, small bookcase), and for my son’s birthday in July we are going to ask for a zoo membership. So far, it has worked well for us.

15. rachel says

Our grandchildren were getting so many toys for birthday and Christmas, now we put money in a saving account for their education.

16. Crystal says

I definitely need to go through our toys. I found my own solution for the well-meaning relatives and that was just putting my foot down on some occasions. Because hinting and giving my preferences didn’t help. My rules for birthdays- 1 gift (and I would prefer it to be used from a yard sale or consignment store, just b/c that’s how we roll). Books are freebies because we’re big on books. Other than that, 1 toy and I told them anything past that and it won’t even be opened. We’ll just take it straight to a center and donate them, even if it cost the person $50. They must have taken me seriously too because they all listened.

For Christmas it’s a bit harder because we do Christmas Eve at my mom and dad’s with my sister and her 2 little ones who are about the same age. So, I can’t really demand less gifts because then my kids will end up feeling slighted when the cousins get 20 things each and they only get 1, KWIM? Yes, I want to teach them principles and as they get older we’ll donate things maybe or something like that. For now I tell my parents to focus on clothes, books, etc. so that they still don’t have a ton of toys and such.

Looking forward to the second part of this. My son is 8 months old and I’m dreading his 1st birthday. We’ve basically reached our toy capacity in our small rental house, but I know that my family is going to want to buy him more. Really all I want for him are more books or just money to put in a savings account for him!

I spaced out his Christmas gifts, so he actually just got one of them yesterday, a train with peek-a-boo faces that lights up and plays music. He could care less about it! He played with it for a few minutes then got bored and started climbing furniture again. He would rather be outside with us or explore the house than play with baby toys.

@Kim @ Staying Home, My daughter’s the same way! She likes some of her toys and definitely has favorites (usually very basic things like a homemade Taggie from her grandma, and some plastic nesting cups), but most of all she enjoys watching us, exploring the house, and playing with our kitties. She really has very simple wants!

Crystal, just wanted to say that you are adorable, and every day your girls look more and more beautiful! What a sweet family. Love to see the pics. Cannot wait to hear more of your ideas on this topic!
    One of my issues is that I have toys from our first born and I feel bad getting rid of them thinking that my second and third born should play with them too. I shouldn’t feel that way, right? ;)

19. Crystal says

And, just a side note, it always makes me sad a little to hear people talking about how much kids cost (mine cost next to nothing! lol). It’s all in your own standard of living. If you live simply, then kids don’t have to be that expensive.

And every year at Christmas on freecycle I see please for $$$ because someone’s kids “aren’t going to have a Christmas.” It makes me feel so sad for them that they feel that way and are so tied to their stuff. We spend VERY LITTLE money on Christmas things (by design. We want to stress CHRIST and not presents). It just makes me sad that most people are so reliant on stuff for happiness, and is one of the reasons I strive for simplicity in our family. I want my kids to grow up with the attitude of contentment that Paul talks about in Phil 4. And I think a lot of that is taught.

We can give away/sell our kids’ toys, but the GRANDPARENTS just give them more. My mom, especially, won’t stop buying them things. My husband and I have sat her down, and explained that the boys don’t need all that stuff, but she won’t listen. What is the solution to the grandparent problem???

21. Rachel says

My 3 year old plays with her “pe-tend” kitchen 3-5 hours a day. she also has a cash register she loves. there are certain toys you just cant get rid of!

I also have relatives who want to give my kids stuff. I suspect a lot of us are dealing with that issue.

I also have the problem that my four kids’ ages vary by more than a decade and they also have varied interests. One loves Legos and books. One loves beanie babies and animals. One loves music and instruments. One loves arts and crafts. There’s a little overlapping of interests, but not so much that I don’t have to have four distinct sets of stuff. And part of me feels that because they’re not asking for junk or for toys that don’t foster creativity and thought, it’s reasonable to let them each pursue those interests. Our goal is to find a balance and make sure to regularly sort through all the stuff so that we don’t lose the things we love in a sea of things we just have.

I am like this too, we have barely any toys, but we do have things like bikes, skates etc we use almost everyday the weather is nice. We have tons of books which we use, although I am going through those too.
    I was wondering, do you ever get told your house feels cold, not homey because of the lack of pictures on the walls etc?

24. Julie says

Thanks to a large family, we have a lot of toys! But, I try to stick to non-electronic toys…play kitchen, blocks, train table, etc. are my kids’ favorites!

I am really trying to get rid of some of the clutter. My husband seems to be the pack rat of the family. I would love to be more of a minimalist like you, Crystal (but I couldn’t live with stark white walls in every room!!! I need color in my life!!!)

25. Val says

My house also has lots of toys that I’m itching to purge… but my real problem is that we have SO many books for my 1-year old! She loves books and my husband and I love to read to her, so it’s much harder for me to get rid of them than it is her toys. How does everyone else deal with book overload?

• Melissa says

@Val,

We feel good about giving our books to the library for their sale, our police dept. gives children books, daycare canters often have small budgets and would appreciate the gift,hospitals, women’s shelters….etc. It is much easier to give an item a new home :)

• Christina says

@Val, We dealt with it by asking Grandpa to build a new, bigger bookcase for our 4 y.o. son’s Christmas present this past year. He LOVES his books. :)

26. Mandy says

Thank you so much for this post. After reading it and all the comments, it gave me a burst of energy and I cleaned out all of the toys in the entire house and I got rid of 4 garbage bags FULL of toys to sell or give away!! And my kids still have a lot left! (Baby steps, I say). I think this needs to be a regular series, say twice a year, post what to clean or purge! THANKS again!!

27. Target Widow says

Just an idea, not that it helps with grandparents, but my sister and I each have 3 kids that get overloaded with stuff. So instead of getting each other’s kids new toys for birthdays or Christmas, we have our kids pick out (from their own stash) toys/presents for their cousins. That way our kids don’t aquire more toys, its rather a trade.

28. MK says

Love this post. We just had an addition to our family in addition to my step-son and I can’t believe all the stuff that came with both of them. We haven’t bought any toys and yet they are everywhere! I’m grateful, but at the same time a little overwhelmed. I love the idea of giving an experience though that another reader suggested. Can you include a list of the versatile toys you suggest and your kids love? I’d love to have just a few good toys instead of a lot of toys.

My theory is if a toy comes with a gift receipt it gets returned and the money is then placed in the child’s savings account. We have two sets of grandparents that spoil our boys as well as a very well meaning Aunt and Uncle who have no children who think they must buy tons of gifts and expensive ones. This Christmas they were nice enough to give us a weekend trip to Great Wolf Lodge, my boys absolutely loved this gift!

Our girls favorite toys were shoes. Yes, they would sit in the hall and play house with the shoes. I wish I had video of it, it was quite wonderful to listen to. :o) Our boys loved the trucks in the sandbox outside. Simple, yet so much fun!! :o)

31. Mary says

I don’t have kids yet but I’ve been buying Duplo blocks & Legos, Tinker Toys and Lincoln Logs, and wooden blocks at yard sales whenever I see them and they are reasonably priced. I also have a nice collection of older “little people” from Fisher Price (mostly the trachea plug style, but if I didn’t die from swallowing I think my kids will be ok with them, as long as I keep an eye on them!)

These were the toys we had when I was a kid and along with books, that’s what made for a lot of creative playtime. I used to build houses out of the blocks and log cabins for my little people – might be why I ended up in architecture school! I want my kids to learn to amuse themselves – not to have flashing lights and noisy toys doing it for them.
    And I’d never go out and buy a set of Lincoln Logs for $30 but when I find a bag for a buck at a sale, I grab it.

I remember my brother bought an Atari when I was about 8 or 9 and that’s when I became a “fat kid”. I’d rather have my kids out in the sun, riding bikes and running through the sprinkler, or building snow forts, than sitting around inside glued to their Leapsters (and their $40 cartridges… :)

32. k and b's mom says

Our kids have a Wii and Leapster – so they are asking for games now. Much smaller and less packaging!

We do have book overload – my daughter (5) reads at least 20 books a day. I don’t want to use the library b/c you never know if the last kid read the book while he/she was on the potty – icky…..

Oh and we have candy overload – the school, friends, relatives, etc. I still have candy from last Easter – yuck! I have started to ask for snack type food – boxes of raisins, fruit snacks, juice boxes, etc.

• Wendi Sisson says

@k and b’s mom, I had a chuckle at the library book/potty scenario. I had never thought of that. But then the next thought that popped into my mind was, How many books at the bookstore have been read by a kid who was wiping their nose (or worse) on the book? Or it was given as a gift, they carried it into the bathroom, etc., and then it got returned. There are germs everywhere.

33. Stacey says

I am SOOOO motivated. I have 4 kiddos: 5,4,2 and 4 mo. and talk about toy overload!!! All morning I have been weeding through ALL the toys. I am seperating them into 3 bins….boys, girls, and electronic stuff. I am hoping to sell them for a total of 80-100 and then turn around and put the profit into their bank accounts:) I am keeping some blocks, a couple cars and some puzzles. I have a toy organizer and I am going to leave some bins empty and limit the toys to the toy organizer. Thank you VERY much for getting me started. I am tackleing books right now too…..hm….maybe that is too much at once:)

34. Amie says

Great part 1!! We are sorting through toys this week and have way too many!! I can’t wait to heard your advise for delaing with relatives who add to the problem. I love grandparents generosity, but it needs to be redirected somehow. Maybe a college savings fund or donated to charity :o)

I have the same problem as many other posters. No matter how little we buy our kids, their grandparents send home tons and tons of junk. Now that we are a family of 6 living in a small space, I’m trying to thin, thin, thin out all the extras. Our bedrooms our small, and we have a small living area. So everything looks like clutter.

36. Kris says

Thanks for doing this decluttering/spring cleaning series. It has been very encouraging. I am a terrible pack rat and my mess has really been bringing me down and making me depressed. Lately I have been donating toys to Goodwill or the Salvation Army, both which still sell toys in my area and I have been selling toys to some local consignment stores near us. Sadly I still have WAY too much. I’ve starting collecting together the nice toys my inlaws gave our kids such as mini learning computers, doodlepads, dolls, etc. to bring and leave at their house for when the kids visit. That way they aren’t hurt that I got rid of things they’ve spent money on and they can see the kids enjoying the things they’ve purchased. Plus the toys are fun and exciting for my kids when we go visit. It’s a win win for me. Less stuff at my place and I’m not hurting the inlaws. We are a family of five in a one bedroom apartment so space is very precious!

37. Meghan says

We’ve got toys at this house! During the day toys are strewn about the whole family room and I don’t blink. Our living room can be unkept for the short few years they are toddlers. They will be grown soon enough! Our kiddos get their toys from garage sale shopping or gifts. We don’t go into debt or spend any money from our budget on them. We have never been in the habit of buying for buying. They love playing with their toys! They will make a fort with blankets on the couch OR play in the pop up tent. When some of the toys get “old” I put them in closet and bring them out again in a few months to have “new” toys again. I am strict in so many areas, I love a clean and organized home, but having toys is not a problem with me. Well, within reason.

As I was reading your post, all I could think of was my in-laws who insist on buying SO much for our kids (and we have almost 5 kids!). They ask for Christmas ideas, I give them 2-3 to choose from (which are HARD for me to come up with), and they buy all three and then a bunch of stuff that wasn’t even on the list!! I continually tell them to please not buy so much, that we don’t need it, etc. I’ve told them and they’ve even seen themselves that the kids have more fun with the boxes or bubble wrap than they do with the toys. But they don’t live near us so I think that’s why…

Anyway, looking forward to the next post! I need some help!!

39. Kim says

My grandfather always said “when you are old and dying you will not say I wish I worked more”. I also feel that there are very few adults that would say “I wish my parents bought me less toys”. I am sorry, but I disagree with the comments above. I do not go into debt to buy toys and I ask all my relatives to do a 50% split between savings and toys. I will never tell anyone that they can not purchase unlimited dolls, books, puzzles, or games. I have no problems with clutter (My home will be clean in 10 years or so) and I feel they should have lots of choices to let their imagination run wild. I feel having my child use the same items over and over surpresses their imagination.

40. Amanda says

We have plenty of toys at our house, but it could have been worse….My parents completely understand about not getting too much stuff for our kids and usually only buy things that are needed. My husband’s parents would buy and buy, but my husband laid out boundaries at the beginning and simply told them that if they start buying too much that we would donate it to goodwill or somewhere like that for kids who don’t have anything. He also wants to start (once the kids understand – they are 2 and 3 months right now) hopefully this Christmas trading toys out. When they get new toys for Christmas, then they have to get rid of toys they currently have, so that we are not just adding to the number of toys. And give the old (or new) ones to other children.

41. Katie says

I have three girls, ages 2,4,6. We are all big readers! We put books in baskets on bookshelves, instead of the traditional way. Books are all standing up, facing forward. Kids are for more likely to read them this way. It is also a lot easier to put them away! We keep baskets of books in every room and a canvas bin of books in the middle of each seat of the minvan.

Visits to the local library are a must! Kids learn the value of reading and it is also GREAT for the environment!

Thanks for your interesting post. I feel like I am pretty organized but I am about to go declutter some more!!!

42. KatelynC says

Man! Kaitlyn has a lot of hair!! I have not seen any pics since your little boy was a baby, its was amazing to see how much they have all grown since then!!!!!!!