Q&A: What is your stock-up price on toilet paper?

I was wondering, what is a good price for toilet paper? I usually get the kind from Sam’s Club but lately their quality has really gone down. -Katie

Truth be told, I was able to get free 4-packs of Cottonelle toilet paper for so long that now that that deal is no longer available, I’ve been struggling to come up with a good toilet paper deal. I’ve purchased some from Aldi and also got a mega package for free with a gift card to Alice.com while holding out hope another free or almost-free toilet paper deal will surface sometime soon.

Aldi toilet paper is anything but quality toilet paper, in my opinion, but it works in a pinch when the deals are sparse. It is priced at around $0.25 per roll, so I’d consider any quality toilet paper priced at less than that to be a pretty good deal. However, free is always my favorite price when it comes to toilet paper. :)

What’s your stock-up price for toilet paper and where do you find the best deals on it? Help me out here!

Comments

Scott tissue we find is best for our septic tank and a pregnant woman. However the regular kind rarely has coupons.

I aim for .35 cents a roll using leftover RR or ECB’s.

It was my final purchase using the Huggies/Dove’s Men Care deal at Walgreens last week. I had a 3.00 RR and the Scotts was on sale for 6.99. So 4 bucks for a 12 pack.
    Not bad.

2. Alisha says

I’ve stopped shopping for a price per roll, because some 24 rolls will have 300 sq ft, others 600 sq ft. My theory is that as long as the TP is average-exceptional quality that we will use the same amount, regardless of the brand. So, I shoot for less than $.01/sq ft. Watching Walgreens and Target I’ve been able to find it for this price.

3. melody says

Thanks for Marel site for store locator. The only store listed in my area is Krogers but I’ve looked there and didnt see it. I just called to ask if they planned on getting it in.. But of course just sat and held till I gave up. Will just wate till i shop again and find someone to ask./

4. melody says

Target internet coupons hs1.00 off 8 pk. Scott and 1.00 of ANY Northern 12 pkg or larger..I prefer Scott over all but this online coupon is only one I’ve seen since I used all mine these last couple of weeks. gotta buy something soon down to last two rolls. OUCH!

I am with you. Free is my favorite price. I was fortunately able to stock up on a good bit when we could get it free. Nowadays it seems like I am able to get 4 rolls for $.50, and it is a bargain. I am hoping that the free toilet paper comes around again soon.

6. Rae says

I usually only get Cottonelle though I will get White cloud or any other really good deal toilet paper for the second bathroom. To me personally, if you are paying in RR or ECB, etc and are not getting them back, I don’t consider that to be a “good deal”. But about once per year, CVS usually does a really good deal on the huge 20 pack of double rolls where after sale, coupon, and ecb, it comes out to less than $8 each (less $.40 per double roll) so I always take advantage of that. Between that and the occasional good deals on small packs of other brands, we get stocked up.

I wish the stores around here carried the Marcal small steps products because our area does get the coupons in the paper but I searched and the only thing carried is at Kroger and only the large paper towel packs. No individual paper towels and no sizes in the toilet paper or tissues :(

7. A says

As a teenager, I complained to my mother that we didn’t use the “fancy” toilet paper, and I wanted to change. (We used Scott.) When out on my own, I quickly realized why my smart mother purchased Scott–it lasted so much longer when compared to “fancy” brands! Yes, it’s thin. Yes, you need to use more. If your finger pokes through, USE MORE! Even when using more per visit to the restroom, it does not compare to the other brands. I respect anyone who has a personal preference and doesn’t want to change. However, if you’re looking to save more on bathroom tissue, why not try it for a few weeks?

8. B. Keefer says

I don’t have a “stock up” price for toilet paper. I buy the CVS brand no matter what the cost is. It is what my family likes and IMO, toilet paper is one thing you just don’t want to scrimp on. LOL

9. Melissa says

Toilet paper is an item with varying price at all my local Walmart supercenters. My favorite prices the Northern 24 DOUBLE rolls at $9.88 — that’s $42 per double roll, which would be like $.21 per single roll. In contrast, the other metro locations are $14.88 for the same package.

I’ve always read (Heloise, etc.) that $.25 per roll is a good stock-up price.

Melissa

10. Sandy says

I have to say I haven’t “paid” for toilet paper in over a year! It is one of the first items I buy when I make any kind of profits at WAGS. I was able to really stock up this past January when the Bayer meters were on sale and I had coupons. $13 profit for every two meters allowed me to purchase a whole lotta toilet paper, tissue, coffee filters, all sorts of non-perishable items I would not normally be able to get free. I can afford to buy the nicer toilet paper too.

11. Alea says

Tons of great advice – Thanks! I have always hated standing in the TP row at Walmart with my kids running in 3 different directions and trying to figure out what’s the best deal! I usually give up, grab the biggest pack I can find quick, and get the heck out of there!

12. Missy says

I ALWAYS stock up on toilet paper when Walgreens runs their sale of the Big Roll for 2/$1. You are only allowed 3 to 4 rolls at a time I just usually make a few stops a week or go to different Walgreens in one day and stock up. It is the cheapest I have found that last (where you don’t have to change the roll every other day). Hope this helps! :)

I only buy Scott tp, because it is the only kind that doesn’t clog the pipes in our older home. I will say, though that one roll of it lasts TONS longer than a roll of other kinds of tp. I generally try to get a 12 pack (1000 sheet rolls) for 6$ or less.

I buy the 36 mega roll pack of Costco’s Kirkland brand. It is currently $21.99, which is $.61/roll, but these rolls are double. They have 425 sheets per roll.

15. Pamela Laurie says

I always buy the Aldi brand and like it very much. Are you buying the small 4 pack or the large 12 pack? I buy the large and have never been disapointed. I don’t like a real thick tissue and we have a septic system so I feel Aldi brand is best for both issues. Sometimes the dollar store has sales that are good but for everyday I will stick to Aldi!

16. Amanda Y. says

I really like the Charmin Basic (the orange package) and it often is on sale at Target for the 36 mega rolls for $10. This is good stuff, not too hard, not too soft, nothing left behind, septic safe, no lotions/perfumes, etc. Use the charmin coupons in the P&G insert (.25-.50) and sometimes a Target coupon. Sometimes even a gift card deal with buy 2 packs, get a $5 gift card–that’s my favorite!

I used to get it at the comissary for $1 for a 4 pack minus the .25c p&g coupon so 75c or less, but I got out of the military, so this is the best I get.

17. Kristen says

I always wait until Food Lion has the Cottonelle 12pk double roll for $4.99 on their stock up sale. What a great price! When they run the sale, it’s Friday through Sunday. There usually is a limit so I go back several times.

I usually try to get below .15 for a single roll. Using sales and coupons, I not too long ago got some Charmin for that price. It was exciting. I usually have to figure out how many single rolls are in the mega or super or whatever rolls, but it keeps the math the easiest for me.

19. Samantha says

TP is one area where we have chosen not to settle for cheapest brand. We use Quilted Northern and nothing else. I brought home some Cottonelle when the deals were going on and it just wasn’t acceptible to the family. So Northern it is. I have the Sam’s price written down and if I can beat it with coupons at another store, I stock up there. But about half the time I just pick it up at Sam’s. Their price has been really good in my area, beating the price at other stores even with coupons.

20. Jessica says

I ordered a bunch of the free Marcal Small Steps toilet paper coupons from http://www.couponsthingsbydede.com. She doesn’t have a limit on how many you can purchase for $0.20 a piece. So if you buy 30 of them, which shipping it averages out to like $0.23 a roll…which is a good deal. I like the stuff, so getting it for that cheap is nice for me (my local wal-mart carries the single rolls)

I don’t have anywhere around me to buy the Marcal 4-packs. I happened to catch a deal on the 12-double roll packs at Dillons last week. Sale of $5.99 (with card), with the $2 coupons, for a purchase price for 460.6 sq feet of $3.99. I figured it up and that’s $.009 a sq foot. I haven’t tried them yet, but I bought 4 packs, so I hope I like them!!

Kirkland in our area is 18.99 for 36 rolls. 425 2-ply sheets per roll, 15, 300 sheets which equals .0012 per sheet. They figure to .53 ea and are 53.1 sq. ft….so that figures to .o1/sq. ft. How can you find anything cheaper than .o1/sq. ft??

23. Jenny says

I like to get free toilet paper from Earthfare. I’ve found that I get free or $1.00 off coupons for Marcal Small Steps at Eathfare the single rolls are priced at $0.89 so they come out to free just pay the taxes on it. So I stock up whenever I’m there which is about every two weeks or so because of all of the other great coupons that Earthfare puts out. Hope it helps some out there.

Well….. as long as we are discussing tp. I learned a great tip from my veterinarian (of all people). We have a tp-shredder cat. She loves to unroll it and make confetti. He recommended squinching the rolls (yes, that is a medical term…. squeezing the rolls so the cardboard tubes aren’t round anymore) so she can’t unroll it as easily…. turns out that makes my kids use less as well. Who knew??

25. flutemom says

we’re brand loyal to costco’s kirkland tp. used to use marcal or angel soft, but i like kirkland better. price doesn’t matter if you’re making other family members happy. ditto for paper towels- bounty plain white. hubby doesn’t like the “cheap” stuff that doesn’t hold up well when wet.

26. Laura_in_TX says

$1 for 4 single roll pack or $2 for 4 double roll pack, etc is our target price. (25 cents a single roll) and we prefer Cottonelle and/or Charmin and no off-brands. TP is a major expenditure these days. lol.

27. Steph says

I do the Marcal deal too, even the $1 off if you get their smaller roll 4-pack, you get all 4 rolls for .29. With the $2, I get four double rolls for .39. So I try to snatch up those coupons whenever I see them. Locally though (Florida), I can only find them in Sweetbay. Thank goodness I work there!

28. Marianne says

I associate price with brand. For Angel soft it has to be free or less than .25 cents per 4 roll package. It just does not last long the rolls in the 4 packs are small.
    I normally get Quilted Northern6 double or mega rolls because they go on for 1/2 price around 2.18 and several times there have been $1 mq out at that time so I have a large stock pile I got for 1.09 -about .18 per roll but they are large so they last. I can not seem to find the deals locally on other brands.

I don’t have time to read all the comments, so I don’t know if this has been said yet…but I’ve been told (and I agree) that you shouldn’t look at 2-ply, single-ply, double roll, bulk pack, number of sheets, etc., when pricing TP.

You want to look at the total square footage of whatever package you’re buying. It always says right on the package. And a good price is $0.01/square foot. And, that’s actually a tough price to find w/o really looking.

I got a great deal on Angel Soft a couple months ago at Wal Mart…it was on sale and I had coupons, so i actually got it for a bit less than $0.01/sq ft. Believe me, I stocked up!

I’m still mourning the loss of the free Cottonelle…that was actually good TP. Angel Soft isn’t bad, though.