The Envelope System “Prettified”

Wallet

I like pretty things. They make me smile and they make life more cheerful and exciting. I wasn't gifted with a knack for creating pretty things, but I sincerely admire others who are skilled in that area.

So when I saw Kelleigh's Envelope System, my heart fluttered. Yes, it did.

Wouldn't paying cash just be so much more exciting if one's envelope system was all prettified like that? (Wait, is "prettified" even a word?)

You know what's so cool? Kelleigh isn't selling her envelope system (though I really think she ought to!), instead she generously posted the complete tutorial and template here so you can create your own.

By the way, if you're new here and wondering how The Envelope System works, you can read more about it here and here. We save thousands of dollars every year by using this system.

Comments

1. Sherri says

I have thought this VERY thing! I wanted pretty envelopes. Thank you so much for sharing.

We just use plastic envelopes from the dollar store with tape labels on them. That way we don’t need to leave with all of them. but that is a sweet way too, maybe I will try it!

Thanks for sharing!

3. Michelle says

and mine was getting so bad and raggedy . . . just in time! Can’t wait to get going on it – thank you so much

I was just planning on making something like this, but hadn’t thought about using scrapbook paper. Thanks for posting this link!

5. Tammy says

It took me a couiple times to get the site to open.The envelopes look pretty but I don’t have the patience to make them!

I L-O-V-E this! I so wish I had that crafty gene! I don’t have the tools she does, but I think I might attempt this one anyway!

I have been contemplating something like this for a while, but what holds me back is wondering what people do with their change? If I had pretty envelopes in my wallet and pulled out a $20 to pay $19.73, what would I do with the 27 cents I got back? Don’t the coins fall out of the envelope?

I’m not trying to be picky, I’m really wondering how people do this because I’d like to try it!

******************
    Money Saving Mom here: I’m not sure what other people do, but I put the extra change in my wallet change zippered pouch and then use it for incidental purchases or when I need exact change. If it becomes too full, I empty out most of it into our daughters’ change banks. Little by little, we’re saving up a nice little bit for them–all from our extra change!

I’d love to hear what others do with their change.

I love that you use the term “prettified”! It’s totally a word in my vocab. LOL! Hey, I’d make you a set! A bunch of friends are coming over for a girls day and they have requested this craft. So funny! But, you can have my sample, okay? I’ll make one for FishMama, too! Send me your addy!

Thanks for posting this! We had a nice little envelope holder when we began the Dave Ramsey plan a few years ago. After a few years of much use, it fell apart. I have been using a coupon organizer, but I didn’t like it as much!

Now I’m excited to pull out some of my pretty scapbook paper and put it to good use!

10. Becky says

These are so beautiful, thanks for sharing this!

I have a really, really dumb question about the envelope system in general, though… I tried this for a few months for grocery money and was repeatedly embarrassed to find any coins falling out onto the floor as I stood in line and fished my envelope out of my purse/wallet, or was digging at the bottom of my purse for the money that fell out of the envelope. Is there some really obvious trick I am missing, or is it just a matter of being careful to always store your envelopes right side up? Thanks for any tips anyone is willing to share with this remedial envelope user!

11. Emily says

Absolutely love this! I was just complaining about our boring envelopes last night :)

We always save our coins. When we get $.37 back as change, it goes right into a small coin purse, and when we get home we save it and split it between our two children. We have been doing this since our daughter was born 4 years ago. Each year we put hundreds of dollars in their accounts, and never miss the change!

I want to make one of these! I was just thinking the other day about how I could make an envelope system that is cute. Currently, I keep my envelopes in a coupon organizer(accordion-style). Works great, the coins do not fall out of each envelope but I want something prettier!

We empty out the change from our envelopes either weekly or monthly. We put pennies in a jug that we’re working on filling and other coins go into a coin purse. The extra change helps pay for Sunday newspapers, yard sale purchases and any very small purchases along the way.

13. Lisa says

These are great! And I do the same thing with my change, put it in the zippered part of my wallet. That way I always deduct exact amounts from my envelopes. The change is used periodically if I have enough for exact change and then emptied into our big coin jar when there is too much in my wallet.

14. Lisa says

I cannot wait to try this, the envelopes are so beautiful. I’m a scrapper so this is right up my alley! Thank you!

Those are so pretty (and prettified is definitely a word in my book!). I have the Ramsey envelope wallet and those envelopes are falling apart–especially the food one! :) I just might have to make some pretty ones!! Thanks for the link!

16. Lisa says

These envelopes are beautiful! Love the tutorial but I would much rather buy them, she could make a fortune selling them!

Thanks for this post. My husband and I are really wanting to deal with debt this year and to not just attempt the envelope system but really use it functionally! Thanks for the cute idea and the helpful posts on the how-to on using the envelope system. I am desiring by God’s grace we will see progress this year!

OK, here’s how frozen my brain is… I thought your post said “petrified” I thought to myself, “Why would she be afraid of her envelope system?” I’m going to bed now…

On the change topic, I put the change in my pocket and then put the change in a jar when I get home. That change is saved for a year. At the end of the year, hubby and I take the change to a coinstar machine and get gift cards to Starbucks for our coffee dates and Amazon gift cards for any books we have on our wish lists.

We don’t buy stuff for ourselves anymore since we are trying our hardest on being frugal, but the year end splurge is something we both look forward to.

LOVE this! Will be making these today. SO much better than the ratty, white business envelope I carry with me, and attempt to ‘hide’ cause of its ‘ugliness’!!!

I also do not keep the change I get back. We have one of those big empty water bottles on the floor in our closet, and it gets dumped in there. It will get rolled it, and cashed in to go towards our family vacation. When our budget becomes more flexible, and the vacation fund is growing on its own, we will save and divide into the kids piggy banks.

21. Erin says

Thank you so much for this post!! I made them, and i have very “prettified” envelopes that make me smile! Best part is a got 8 sheets of pretty at Target for $1.00!!! PERFECT! I will make an extra set, in case these get ratty! Thank you again!

22. tiffany says

For anyone interested in a “virtual” envelope system, I highly recommend “mvelopes”. It is like quicken but allows you to utilize envelopes to help keep you on budget.