Super Savings Saturday: The I-skipped-shopping edition

I was planning to go to the grocery store like usual on Friday, but after our traumatic evening Wednesday night and Thursday morning, I was rather behind and tired. And in surveying our cupboards, refrigerator, and freezer, I realized I had pretty much everything I needed to make it another week without shopping.

So my husband made a quick trip to buy milk, butter, and ice cream (the essentials, you know!), but other than that, I stayed home. I'll probably stop in to the store Monday or Tuesday to pick up some fresh produce but don't plan to buy anything else until my weekly shopping trip next Friday.

You know what? It was so nice to be able to skip shopping this week! I enjoy grocery shopping and snagging great bargains, but it's also nice to be able to take a week off when needed without really even missing it. That's one of the blessings of building and keeping a good stockpile of food and household supplies not to mention that skipping a shopping trip every once in a while is a great way to stretch your budget even farther!

On Monday, I'll share what our menu for almost-no-shopping week looks like. Stay tuned!

—————————

How'd you do this week? Post about the deals and
bargains you were able to snag this week or other ways you saved money
on your blog (with pictures, if possible!) and then come back here and
leave your link below. **To make it easy for everyone to navigate
quickly through the links, your link must link directly to your Super
Savings Saturday post.**

Comments

1. Kim says

I’m hoping that your daughter is feeling 100%. I have kept her in my thoughts and prayers.

Kim from Philadelphia

That’s the point I am trying to get to…A week with no shopping! That would be “heaven” to me. I feel like I am getting closer to that with the help of your blog! Thanks!

We sort of had one of those weeks, too. Although not as traumatic as yours. Glad Kaitlynn is okay! We got back from vacation on Monday and then it snowed and then it iced and I didn’t get out until Friday to foodshop. We could have lasted many more days, but it was nice to get out and even nicer to have fresh strawberries!

I could go for a long time only getting produce, milk, eggs, butter and bread… it is so hard to pass up the weekly loss leaders though. Especially the free cheese this week at Kroger!

Try using canned and frozen fruits and vegetables (and dried ones, too), and you should be able to go without going to the store at all until next week. If you have powdered milk on hand, you could try skipping shopping for milk. I keep butter in the freezer. And you could always buy extra ice cream when it goes on sale.

I am used to going for long stretches of time without going to the store. I used to stretch it for 10-15 days. When the need came, I learned to go a month or more (sometimes months at a time). This is still the way it is for me, as our income varies each month.

6. Susan says

I just wanted to comment that they opened a new produce store in my area and I think I did really well. I got 3 lbs of green peppers, 2 lbs of red peppers, 4 bunches of green onions, 2 bunches of celery, 2 lbs of pearl onions, 5 lbs of red potatoes, 2 bags of bagged salad, 3 bags of dried fruit, and 3 dozen extra large eggs. I paid about $21.00. The eggs were $2.50 for the 3 dozen which averaged out to about to $.83.

7. Marsha says

It’s also good to have a stockpile for when an unexpected expense occurs. If you can pay the surprise bill with your grocery budget, you don’t have to dip into savings or pay another bill late. I consider my well-packed pantry as “money in the bank.”

You deserve the week off!! Those trips to the ER with a little one can leave a person completely drained. I’m so glad to hear she’s ok. Thanks to all of your wonderful posts, I have also created a nice little stockpile that would last us a while if something unexpectedly came up. Thanks again for all that you do.