Bacon-Wrapped Apple BBQ Chicken

bacon wrapped bbq chicken

Guest Post by Erin from $5 Dinners

Creativity is a key part of making my $5 dinners every night. It would be much easier to make spaghetti or chicken and rice every night. But there’s no fun in that! A little imagination with some basic ingredients can really add some spark to your meals.

Here’s a delicious dinner I made recently for, yes, $5:

If you’d like a $5 Dinner meal, just like this one, delivered to your inbox every night, come on over to 5DollarDinners.com and subscribe to our email updates!

Comments

I made this last week after seeing it on her blog and it was awesome. we did regular potatoes instead of sweet and a different vegetable. Great idea of house to use of chicken. I even got Chicken at Super Saver marked down and stocked up on the freezer since boneless skinless chicken tenderloins were $2.00-$2.50 a package.

2. Chantelle says

Could you make the chicken without a crock pot? I’m a wife in a small apartment with no room for one.

3. Charlene says

i was going to make Robin Millers Crock Pot chicken and apples tonight and just realized I don’t have any cream soup! I have all this- what great timing!

4. Jan says

that looks really yummy- unfortunately chicken breast around here is about $5 or $6 a package of 3 breasts!

*****************
    Money Saving Mom here: That’s definitely the normal price here, too. However, I don’t think I’ve bought it at the normal price in ages! I only buy it when it goes on a great sale or when it is reduced for quick sale. I’m pretty sure that’s how Erin got it for this recipe.

I made this recipe a few weeks ago after I saw it on her blog and it turned out great! She posted it at a really good time for me because I had both apples and bacon that needed to be used up!

This looks great, Erin! I love bacon-wrapped anything!

;)

Oh, and JMorrell Bacon is on sale this week at Kroger, B1G1Free, $3.99 (Cincy Region) and Tyson frozen chicken breasts are on sale, $4.99 for a 2.5 lb bag.

Erin for $5 Dinners here!

Yes…I only buy chicken when it’s a lost leader and on sale for $1.77/lb or less! I never pay any more than that! Watch those grocery circulars. I will go out of my way to get it at that price if it’s advertised at another store in my area for that price!

Amybee, yes these are boneless skinless.

And Chantelle, you could do this in a glass baking dish. I would bake at 350 for 45 minutes covered with foil, to keep the chicken nice and tender. Then I would remove the foil for the last 15 minutes to let the bacon get a little crispy.

:) Erin

Albertsons has it’s boneless, skinless Chicken breasts on sale this week for $1.77 a pound. It’s right on the front page of the ad. I always buy at least 10 pounds when it is this cheap. I put 2 breasts in a freezer bag. then stack them all in the freezer. My family has chicken for the next few months.

Also I was able to get Kraft BBQ sauce for .25 cents this week at albertsons……no coupon needed check it out on my blog. Stock up at this price!

Sarah

Wow! This looks delicious! I also happen to have a lot of apples lying around for something else I was going to make, but this sounds better. I can’t wait to try it.

11. KN says

If you have an Aldi’s- They sell 3.5 lbs of chicken breasts for 6.99 daily. That is pretty reasonable to me.

12. Jennifer says

Instead of using apples, I thought I might try mixing the bbq sauce with applesauce. I bet it would have the same effect, you wouldn’t have to use lemon juice, and it might make the meat more tender!

Great use of the chicken. I think I will try it this week and maybe instead of the grated apple use applesauce like jennifer said since I always have that in the pantry. Thanks for posting the recipe.