Blog Poll: Will you be hitting the sales on Black Friday?

Just for fun, I created a poll to see how many readers here are shopping on Black Friday and how many were planning to stay home. I hit Black Friday sales last year for the first time and was pretty unimpressed, though the whole experience was rather enlightening (you can read more about it here).

This year, I'm strongly considering staying home but I haven't made up my mind completely since there are a few things we've been needing to buy and if I'm in the mood for an adventure, I might just go for it. We'll see!

What about you? I'd love to hear whether or not you are planning to go out and your thoughts on whether shopping on Black Friday is a worth it. Take the poll below and then have fun discussing your opinions in the comments section!

Comments

1. amanda says

I’ve gone for the past few years and I like it just because I’m competitive and like to race for what I need. Although last year I had to take my baby with me and people were trying to run her over just so they could get what they wanted and that did get me a little cranky. This year is completely different. My husband has duty on Thanksgiving and won’t get home til Friday evening sometime so I’ll be hanging with the girls starting the Christmas decorating. We have decided to drastically downsize Christmas shopping and I am totally at peace with it. I’m not going shopping except for groceries til after Christmas because if I can’t make what I have left on my list, we’re not going to get it.

2. JBLeach says

Last year was the first year that I ventured out. I went to JoAnns with a 3 year old, 2 year old and 6 months pregnant. We waited in the cutting line for 2 hours and in the check out line for anoher hour! Yuck…

This year, I am thinking about hitting Walmart for some $4 PJs, Slippers and Track Suits (all 3 kiddos need those). I have a spreadsheet made out with what I want, sizes, qty, etc. So hopefully with a targeted approach I can get in and out so the hubby is not late for work.

I go if I have the chance, so every other year when my husband is not deployed and is home with the kids. Sometimes for the deals, sometimes because is the one chance to go shopping with no kid attached. lol

4. Jem says

I am not sure yet this year since there’s no one I could leave my 10-month old son with. But last year was a blast! It was my first Black Friday shopping ever and believe it or not, I was 7 1/2 months pregnant! It wasn’t that bad. The lines aren’t that bad either. I was with my husband’s cousins and we had everything planned out the night before. We had a list of everything we wanted at each store, including the price, and had flyers in our purses. We had 2 cars that made it easier too, as the guys and us girls went separately so we don’t have to go to each store all together and waste time.

If my mom was here to look after my son, then no doubt about it, I definitely would go again!

5. Traci says

I will definetly be hitting the stores and early! This is an all girlfriend day. We have a sleepover after kiddos are in bed.. plan our strategy. We get up way too early, stand in line, chat… drink coffee, work together, chat, go out fpr a fun lunch (with no kiddos), chat, shop some more, maybe go to a chick flick, don’t come home until kids are in bed and generally just enjoy a day that our husbands give us away from our mothering responsibilities with special girlfriends. It is fun and rings in the season. Sure it is a day focused on consumerism which is honestly something we want to avoid, but it is also a day that my friends and I look forward to as we fellowship together. It’s a tradition and one we look forward to for months!!!

6. Kristy says

I go every year with my SIL we have lots of fun. It is a day to go shopping all day with no kids (husbands stay home with them). we leave around 4am and get home around 6-7pm.

I accidently voted maybe, but i meant to vote no. I hate malls, stores, and the like. If i must go, i try to go at a time there won’t be as many people, and loathe entering during December at all (there was one nightmare day when my brother put off buying presents and i had to drive him all over this mall & shopping center area of town…on the 23rd. what could’ve taken an hour or two took most of the day -_-) My husband wanted to go to the sales but has to work so i got off easy! I’m an online shopper really. Even more so during the holidays.

I did the early am once, while big and pregnant. I got the sale items that I wanted, plus more “great deal” than I needed. So…I spent more than necessary. Last year I went in the afternoon and still got great deals. This year I’m not really hunting any big ticket items that will only be on sale early in the morning, so I’ll probably sleep in with my hubby! :0) Have a great one!

9. Melodie says

I don’t usually since my hubby doesn’t really like me fighting the crowds and traffic on busy shopping days. But this year, I have two reasons to go. I need an affordable winter coat to cover my ever expanding pregnant belly, and I need some sewing supplies from Jo-Annes for the projects I’m working on for my kids, nieces and nephews this Christmas. If I get up early enough, perhaps the traffic and crowds won’t be so crazy as it is inevitably going to be in the afternoon. But who knows. We’ll see.

10. barb says

Yes, I go out but not super early and never to certain stores.
    For stores like Kohl’s and KBToys that open at 4 am, I go at 8 or 9 am and the super eatly crowds have left and they usually still have a good selection. I would never go back to Target on the weekend after Thanksgiving, they sell out of all the really cheap items in the first 15 minutes they are open, leaving a store crowded with annoyed and annoying people for the rest of the day.

11. Rae says

Honestly, I think most people that do not have good Black Friday experiences are just not prepared. In order to have a stress free and successful shopping day, you need to be up and in line VERY early, have your plan mapped out, fliers and lists in hand. I generally start around 3:30am and get in several stores by around 8-8:30 when we always go to Ihop. Then we drive back to our town and stop at our walmart (which is in a small town so always have stuff left) then home for a nap before decorating. This year we were held up at Joanns (never been there before on black friday so didn’t know to get there earlier) but were still at Ihop before 10. And in that time we did JcPenney, Circuit City, Walmart, CVS, Joanns, and Michaels. We usually go to the office supply stores but this year I didn’t see anything that was calling to me. Anyway, being willing to get up early and being very organized means that I get everything I want and am always done well before noon.