I’m currently challenging myself to stick with a $70 grocery budget for our family of five. This includes almost all of our breakfasts, lunches, snacks, and dinners + most household products (toiletries, laundry soap, etc.).
Note: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and we will be compensated if you click through and sign up. Read our disclosure policy here.
After going over budget last week, I was super extra careful to make sure to stay in budget — and I ended up being over $10 under budget!
Here’s what I bought:
Kroger Shopping Trip #1:
- Fresh Tulips — marked down to $1
- Flowers — marked down to $1
- Pita Bread — marked down to $0.99
- Organic Ground Beef — marked down to $3.99 per pound
- 2 Pork Roasts — marked down to $4.99 each
- 1 bag of small peppers — marked down to $0.99
- 1 bag of pomegranates — marked down to $0.99
- 1 bag of peppers — marked down to $0.99
- 1 bagged organic salad — marked down to $2.29
- 5 yogurts — marked down to $0.49 each
- High Brew Coffee — free with Free Friday coupon
- Total with tax: $39.01
Psst! Need some help with cutting your grocery budget? Check out my series: 5 Days to a Better Grocery Budget.
It was a rather rough start of the week for me for a lot of reasons and I felt pretty emotionally and physically spent, so finding these flowers marked down to $1 was just the perfect boost of happy for me. And they’ve made me so happy to look at all week long!
Kroger Shopping Trip #2:
- 6 boxes of Kroger Oatmeal — $1.59 per box, used $0.50/1 digital coupon (may be used up to 5 times in one transaction) + $0.65/1 digital coupon (Best Customer Bonus = $1.07 per box (my kids LOVE these and would eat these every single day for breakfast!)
- 2 Kroger Graham Cracker Crusts — $1.19 per crust, used $0.30/1 digital coupon (may be used up to 5 times in one transaction) = $0.89 after coupon
- 5 boxes of Betty Crocker Cake Mix/Brownie Mix — $1.29 per box, used $0.50/1 digital coupon (may be used up to 5 times in one transaction) = $0.79 per box
- 4 Simple Truth yogurts — marked down to $0.49 each
- 2 bunches of bananas — marked down to $0.39 per pound
- 1 bag of salad — marked down to $1.29
- 1 bag of potatoes — marked down to $0.99
- Total with tax: $19.90
Total spent this week: $58.91
What We Ate This Past Week
Note: When you see the meals below, please remember this: I buy ahead often. Which means that when I find a great deal on something I know we’ll use, I buy as much as I can afford in our budget to have on hand.
This means that you aren’t going to see all of the groceries my shopping trip that I used to make all of the meals we ate.
Please also remember that I’m putting this out there and it’s not a perfectly balanced menu. This is just really what we ate — and I hope that it encourages you to see the real-ness and lack of perfection here. ?
- Cereal, Oatmeal, Scrambled Eggs with Avocados/Cheese/Salsa, Yogurt, Oatmeal, Hard Boiled Eggs, Banana Bread
- Banana Bread, Cheese/Crackers, Avocados, Salad, Leftovers, Clementines, Cookies & Jesse took the kids out to lunch one day to celebrate the end of school and I went to Panera by myself for lunch on my offline day to plan and read and just soak up some quiet — it was amazing!)
- Yogurt, Cheese/Crackers, Popcorn, Peppers, Cookies
Dinners — we had so little variety in our dinners this week that I’m almost embarrassed to share this and I also realized that we had pork every single night — oops! But here goes…
- Saturday: Dinner out
- Sunday: Fend For Yourself — snack-y food and leftovers
- Monday: Sausage/Potatoes/Peppers in the crock pot, mango, banana bread
- Tuesday: Pork Roast, Scalloped Potatoes, Salad + snacks at a school Christmas Program
- Wednesday: Pork Roast, Salad, Mangoes & Pomegranates
- Thursday: Pork Roast, Twice Baked Potatoes, Salad, Pomegranates
- Friday: Sausage/Potatoes/Peppers in the crock pot, Salad
There you have it! I hope that was helpful and inspiring… or at least caused you to feel a little better about the meals you made for your family this week! 😉
Other posts in the $70 Grocery Budget series
- I spent $58.91 on groceries this week!
- $70 Budget: What We Ate & What We Bought This Week
- This Week's $70 Grocery Shopping Trip (I was under-budget!)
- This Week's $70 Grocery Budget
Subscribe for free email updates from Money Saving Mom® and get my Guide to Freezer Cooking for free!