Creativity is a key part of making my $5 dinners every night. It would be much easier to make spaghetti or chicken and rice every night. But there’s no fun in that! A little imagination with some basic ingredients can really add some spark to your meals.
Here’s a delicious dinner I made recently for, yes, $5:
Bacon-Wrapped BBQ Chicken
- 3-4 chicken breasts ($2.29)
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce ($0.20)
- 1-2 apples, peeled and grated ($0.50)
- 1 lemon, juiced ($0.30)
- 6 slices bacon ($0.50)
- 2-3 sweet potatoes ($0.99)
- 1 cup chopped frozen broccoli ($0.25)
1. In small bowl, combine BBQ sauce with grated apple and lemon juice.
2. Place chicken breasts in base of crock pot, pour BBQ/apple mixture over the chicken. Wrap 2 pieces of bacon around each chicken breast. Set to low and cook for 8 hours.
3. Slit sweet potatoes with knife or vent with fork. Bake sweet potatoes at 350 degrees for 1 hour in baking dish with 1/4 inch water. Cover with foil. Remove and let cool about 10 minutes. Peel skins off of the potato and mash. Serve with cinnamon and butter if you like.
4. Cook frozen broccoli as directed on package.
5. Serve yummy chicken breast with side of broccoli and sweet potatoes.
If you’d like a $5 Dinner meal, just like this one, delivered to your inbox every night, come on over to 5DollarDinners.com and subscribe to our email updates!
Subscribe for free email updates from Money Saving Mom® and get my Guide to Freezer Cooking for free!