Want to see what we bought for this week’s $70 grocery budget? I’m currently challenging myself to stick with a $70 budget for our family of seven. This includes almost all of our breakfasts, lunches, snacks, and dinners + most household products (toiletries, laundry soap, etc.).
Last week, I talked about how we were around $15 under our $70/weekly budget and how I wanted to use that extra to stock up on a good deal this week. I wasn’t sure what good deal I was going to stock up on… until I saw ground beef marked down to $1.99/lb.!!! You better believe I grabbed up that deal to stick in the freezer!
Here’s what we bought at the store this past week…
The boxes of cereal were only $0.79 — because they were bent. Hey, so long the boxes are not torn, I will gladly pay half price for boxes of cereal that just don’t look as pretty!
Kroger Shopping Trip #1
- 6 jars Pasta Sauce — $1 each
- 3 2-lb flats of strawberries — $1.88 each
- Facial Tissue — marked down to $0.49
- Breakfast Sausage — marked down to $1.79
- Burnt Pork Ends — marked down to $2.99
- Marshmallows — marked down to $0.69
- Comet — marked down to $0.49
- 8 jars peanut butter — $0.99 each
- Cinnamon Cereal — marked down to $0.79 per box
- 2 meatloaves — marked down to $3.99 each
- Milk — $2.59
- Chocolate Chips — $1.99, used $0.30/1 Kroger digital coupon = $1.69
- Organic Bananas — $1.27
- Half & Half — $1.99
- White vinegar — marked down to $0.89
- Total with tax: $48.55
I could not believe this price on ground beef when I saw it — WOW!!
Kroger Shopping Trip #2
- 6 pounds ground beef — marked down to $1.99 each
- Danimals — marked down to $1.59
- 2 cans refried beans — marked down to $0.49 each
- Milk — $2.59
- Salad Greens — marked down to $2.49
- 2 packages Butterscotch Chips — on closeout for $0.80 each
- 3 bags Flaxseed Meal — on closeout for $0.67 each (we use this in Energy Bites)
- 2 Mott’s Fruit Snacks — $0.99 each when you buy 5 participating items
- Cheerios/Honey Nut Cheerios — $1.79 each when you buy 5 participating items, used $1/2 Kroger digital coupon = $1.29 each
- Rice a Roni — marked down to $0.39
- 2 loaves bread — $0.99
- Water — $0.79
- 2 bags Chex Mix — $0.99 each when you buy 5 participating items, used $0.50/2 Kroger coupon — $0.75 each after coupon
- Total with tax = $35.54
Total spent on groceries this week — $84.09
What We Ate This Past Week
Note: When you see the meals below, please remember this: I buy ahead often. Which means that when I find a great deal on something I know we’ll use, I buy as much as I can afford in our budget to have on hand.
This means that you aren’t going to see all of the groceries my shopping trip that I used to make all of the meals we ate.
Please also remember that I’m putting this out there and it’s not a perfectly balanced menu. This is just really what we ate — and I hope that it encourages you to see the real-ness and lack of perfection here.
Breakfasts — Cereal, Eggs/Avocados/Strawberries, Toaster Pastries, Apple Cinnamon Bars, Energy Bites, Breakfast at McDonald’s (Saturday morning), Breakfast at the hotel (Sunday morning)
Lunches — PB & Honey Sandwiches, Eggs, Salad, Leftovers, Cereal, Strawberries, Bananas
- Sunday — Eggs & Sausage with Cheese
- Monday — Egg Casserole, Banana Bread, Strawberries
- Tuesday — Salad topped with marinated chicken and hardboiled eggs, Banana Bread
- Wednesday — Leftovers
- Thursday — Meat loaf, mashed sweet potatoes, salad, peas, strawberries/bananas
- Friday — Dinner on the road: Peanut Butter & Honey Sandwiches, Chex Mix, Fruit Snacks, Danimals
- Saturday — Dinner out with two of my sisters and their families
Cashback Earned: 100 points from Fetch Rewards