MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

Shame, the power of story, and a real look at the writing life (with Katie Ganshert)

So, apparently you all are very curious about our courtship rules and our first kiss — because we had almost TWICE as many downloads of last week’s episode than we’ve had of any other episode! Wow!

Thank you for the many emails and comments and messages on Instagram. It was fun to read how some of you had never, ever heard of the concept of courtship and some of you had actually had very similar upbringings.

(By the way, I posted a picture on Instagram of Jesse and me at 20 and 21 that might make you smile!)

Today’s show is very different from last week’s but I think you’re going to love it and find it insightful and helpful. We’ll be talking about a perspective shift I had recently, my favorite money-saving website to get Kroger deals, and I’m going to confess a secret about books I don’t think I’ve ever shared publicly before.

Plus, I’m interviewing Katie Ganshert — the author of some of my favorite fiction books (and I’m taking a risk and tackling a hot button topic with her!) and then I’ll close out the show by answering a question on how I balance my life and still find time to relax (and why I’ve decided I can only do two things well per day).

In This Episode:

[01:07] – I woke up pretty overwhelmed by my day… until I read this quote on Instagram and it immediately snapped me out of that stressful space.

[03:06] – Want to save money at Kroger? I give you the scoop on my very favorite website that you must be following for all the best Kroger deals (and the deals work at Kroger affiliate stores, too!)

[06:05] – This week’s book pick elicit’s a book confession that I don’t think I’ve ever shared publicly before. I hope we can still be friends after you find this out!

[09:31] – Today’s guest is Katie Ganshert — author of some of my favorite Christian fiction books. I love how she writes with such rawness and realness and you’ll love her answer to my question on what inspires her to be so vulnerable in her writing.

[11:41] – Katie talks about how she stays inspired as a writer, tips for those who want to be a writer, and why she decided to take an entire year off from any book writing.

[17:24] – I ask Katie a hot-button question about her book No One Ever Asked. We talk about race, how I can make a difference as a white woman, and how to approach this topic with grace and without ostracizing others.

[24:56] – I close out the show with a question that was submitted on the topic of balance. I talk about my six areas of priority and how I implement the strategy of only doing two things well per day.

Links and Resources:

How to Listen to The Crystal Paine Show

The podcast is available on iTunesAndroidStitcher, and Spotify. You can listen online through the direct player we’ll include in the show notes of each episode. OR, a much easier way to listen is by subscribing to the podcast through a free podcast app on your phone. (Find instructions for how to subscribe to a podcast here.)

Ready to dive in and listen? Hit the player above or search for “The Crystal Paine Show” on your favorite podcast app.

Note: This post contains affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission — at no additional cost to you. Thank you so much for your support!

14 Comments

• Lois Hilty says:

Can I listen since I don’t have any apps or other fancy stuff? Thanks.

• Kathleen says:

I’ve never read Jane Austen either. Whatevs! 😀

• c says:

I recently read “No One Ever Asked” and have recommended it to so many people. GREAT read. I’m excited to listen to your interview. Thank you for sharing this.

• Erica says:

Hahaha – I’m chuckling at my desk listening to your “confession” and can also say I don’t like Jane Austen and have never read one either…and I was an English Literature Major in college.
    You’re not alone and please don’t feel bad! There is an endless supply of stories out there! We can’t love them all

• Jb says:

I listened to your podcast for the first time yesterday and LOVED it. Your topics are fun, your cadeaence is good…but you know what part I (surprisingly) enjoyed a lot?! The music between segments! It reminds me of the changes I scenes on cooking shows / gardening shows / home shows that I used to watch on pbs, etc and something about it is very grounding and relaxing. Each time , it made me relax my shoulders and chill. Probably the weirdest comment I’ve ever written….but figured feedback is good. :). (my kids are 13, 11 and 9 as well!) Loved the podcast and will keep listening!

• Thank you so much for your kind encouragement — and I’m SO glad you love the music! We added that in right before launch and I’m so happy to hear you find it relaxing and grounding… YAY!

• Thanks for the love (as always) Crystal! I appreciate your support! You’re the best. 🙂

• Guest says:

Okay, this podcast has me going WOW and taking a hard look at how I view balance. I’ve long said everything is never going to be perfectly balanced all of the time but I absolutely love the tightrope analogy. Just yesterday I had shared with a friend and work colleague that I feel like I’ll never be relaxed until everything is under control which is a problem because everything will never be under control (this side of Heaven!). Thanks so much for sharing that. Will take some work on my part to adjust my thinking but so, so good.

Also, Jane Austen is one of my favorite authors. I don’t love all of her books but Pride and Prejudice is tied as my favorite book of all time. 🙂

Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy