MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

My 25 Favorite Things to Buy at Dollar Tree

Ever wondered which $1 items at Dollar Tree are actually great deals and worth buying? This list of things to buy at Dollar Tree is SO helpful!

Last week, I shared a post on My 25 Favorite Things to Buy at ALDI and so many of you loved it that I thought I’d do a similar post on my favorite things to buy at Dollar Tree.

Here’s the thing about Dollar Tree, while everything in the store is truly only $1, not everything in the store is worth $1. Some things are GREAT deals. Some things are cheaply made and/or can be found easily for less than a dollar elsewhere. So when you shop there, remember this: just because it’s a store with great deals, doesn’t mean that everything in the store is a great deal.

For those of you who might not shop at Dollar Tree, I thought it would be fun for me to share some of my favorite things to buy at Dollar Tree.

1. Tissue paper

2. Wrapping paper and bows

3. Plastic serving trays and bowls (great for entertaining!)

4. Greeting cards (2 for $1!)

5. Plastic table cloths, silverware, cups, plates, napkins (these are great for parties and entertaining!)

6. Glow Sticks

7. Make-up (I usually only buy only brands I am familiar with, but I’ve had great success with buying lipstick and lipgloss from Dollar Tree.)

8. Pregnancy tests (yes, just $1 for real! And they work!)

9. Photo Frames

10. Beach Toys — great for when you are on vacation and forgot to bring beach toys or don’t want to bring them along with you!

11. Puzzles = super cheap entertainment for kids! And you don’t have to worry if they lose pieces! 😉

12. Party Supplies

13. Cheap Toys — we buy stock up on these for road trips or chore incentives. I will wrap them up and the kids get to open them and they love it! 🙂 {And yes, your kids might not be like mine and they might think that’s weird!}

14. Books — Most of these will be ones I’m not interested in, but you can usually find a few fantastic gems in the middle of all the junky titles! 🙂

15. Socks — They aren’t the highest quality, but they have two-packs for $1 for kids that we’ve purchased and had great experience with.

16. Waste Baskets

17. Flip Flops

18. Organizational Supplies

19. Hair Items

20. Spices & Seasonings

21. Plastic Wrap & Foil

22. Plastic Bags & Freezer Bags

23. Glassware & Mugs

24. Brooms

25. Sunglasses — yes, these are cheap, but they work great in a pinch!

Dollar Tree Shoppers: Do you agree with my list? Anything you would add or take off? I’d love to hear!

100 Comments

• Jill says:

Reading glasses aka “cheaters!” They’re cute and cheap. They cost at least $10 at Target.

• Cassie says:

I also love getting toothpaste, toothbrushes, and bar soap at the Dollar Tree. I also get cheap batteries here when kids resale shops require toys to have working batteries.

• amie says:

I just shopped Dollar Tree this month for the first time in ages. My two older sons both have birthdays in June and I have them a dollar for each year of age ($7 and $9) to shop with. They had a blast! Sure, they bought a lot of junk food (theater candy boxes, etc.), but they had a great time. I did too. I bought magic erasers and all kinds of organizers and cleaning products. We also bought dollar flip flops, sidewalk chalk, and lots of pool toys. I bought sunglasses for my trip to the beach (and lost them in the ocean – no worries for $1). The boys tried to convince me that I should shop there every week. That won’t happen, but I am amazed by just how much stuff I can get for a dollar.

• JJ says:

My kids were thrilled when we found a Daniel Tiger easy reader one time at Dollar Tree! I never thought about the serving bowls and platters–thanks!

• VanessaKC says:

Generic Neosporin and Benadryl, dry beans, tostada shells and store brand magic erasers. (3 for a buck and they clean just as well.) I also like their oxygen cleaner. It may be more economical to buy a huge vat at Costco or Sam’s, but for my small family, smaller containers work fine.

• lyss says:

I would add food items. Sure, there’s plenty of junk food that’s not even a deal. But there’s also bread, frozen blueberries, rice and beans. Brown and white rice at 2 lbs/$1 is good. And then some things are hit or miss, like the 13 oz grinder of pink Himalayan salt I found recently.
    I also like their oxyclean. Oh, and bandaids! Much better deal than elsewhere. And it’s the only bandaids I can find that have the tiny rectangle ones.
    I did not have success with sandwich bags…they were so thin and the zippers wouldn’t shut.

• Andrea B says:

My kids love the teaching center stuff. We get the homework books all the time. They also have many good items for camping.

• Lenora says:

I buy purse-sized notepads, packs of ballpoint, gel, highlighter pens there as well. Kitchen utensils and placemats are also great finds there.

• Keisha says:

I got my kindergarten lots of letter and number workbooks.

• Sue says:

I buy:
    *Betty Crocker storage containers to use for left overs leaving the house.
    *Big League chew for the ball team.
    *Panti liners, cheapest place to buy name brand, and get to use coupon, too.
    *Brillo pads
    *the smallest container ever of Welchs grape jelly, perfect for one person or to take camping.
    *the new cake in mug and the small portion cake mix brand name, forgot name now that I’m thinking about it
    *bath soaps, shampoos, toothpaste, toothbrushes, dental floss all name
    brands
    *hand towels — I go thru so many and they usually last about two years

this are just some of the must haves for me, from Dollar Tree.

• Heather Knowles says:

I love Dollar Tree, but I have also had poor quality when it comes to plastic (Ziplock-Type) sandwich bags. The zipper parts tear through or don’t hold. Otherwise, lots of good ideas!!! I love the parchment paper, too.

• Tanya says:

We buy plain white napkins there. They are so much cheaper than the grocery store.

• Bethany says:

Clothespins! They’re much better quality than the far-more-expensive Walmart ones.

• Need A Nap2 says:

I totally agree on most of this, especially the pregnancy tests!

We love the chocolate covered graham crackers. So good! And you’ll see the same product elsewhere for $1.50-2.00.

Soap and sanitizer are usually good for the kids’ bathroom.

• Brandee says:

3 kids later and my husband knows the saying well its not official until I get a positive dollar store pregnancy test!

• Jennifer says:

This might fall under books, but the coloring and activity books are great for road trip and vacation travel.

• Cheryl says:

Calendars, are great for organizational goals, we have found mats for your front door, decor for bedrooms and kitchens, and my newest find is the dish drying mats! These have eliminated the cluttery dish drainer on my counter, I love my kitchen so much more because of these! I think everyone should try them to see if they work for them.

• patti says:

I agree with your list, great job!

A few things off the top of my head, mylar balloons, a wonderful gift for sick friend, nursing home, birthday kid etc.

A-1 steak sauce, same size $4.00 at my grocery store.

How could the single best cleaner in the world 🙂 not be mentioned:

LA’s Totally Awesome All Purpose Concentrated Cleaner

Sold everywhere else on line between $6-12, best degreaser, general cleaner anywhere. i have gotten grunge off everything with this stuff. incredible and only $1.00:)

I shop there all the time, one of my favorite stores.

Thanks again for all your hard work!

• I’ve never even heard of that cleaner!! Can you believe it??? Apparently I’ve been missing out!

• Lisa says:

Neither have I! Totally looking for this.

I’ve also bought bacon splatter screens there, though I don’t see them there every time. I always think those things are so hard to clean. Granted, they’re not very high quality, and they won’t last long, but for only $1, you can almost throw them away after use.

• Tiffany says:

Thank you! Great list. I have worn a pair of their “cheap but look cute” sunglasses for a year so I would say it was well worth the $1!

• Emily says:

Not specially Family Dollar (I prefer our local Dollar Tree) but kitchen gadgets are a good deal and I always buy reading glasses and sunglasses there now. Plus dish scrub brushes.

Dental care definitely – floss pics.

• I almost shared a picture of dental care items, but since I’d not purchased them before, I wasn’t sure!

• Kim says:

I have found Magic (the gathering by Wizards of the Coast) cards at Dollar Tree. They are random, but perfect for stocking stuffers. They were near the register, and looked “knock off”, but once open were the real deal. Kids were very pleased.

• Pat says:

Poster board, markers, alphabet letters for all the marchers out there

• Elisabeth says:

Check the medicines and pet items before you buy them. Normally they are made in China personally I’m not willing to risk my Pet’s or family on a bargain

• Aimee says:

I do like the quart sized storage bags, they’re much thicker then the regular sandwich bags, I buy the paper plates and their kitchen tools and I love love love buying their helium balloons!!

• Aimee says:

I also buy the ibuprofen, the bottles are small but are perfect for the car, purse and boat.

• Nita says:

I.watch where food and make up is made. Never get Made in China. That is just me. Do not trust. Perfect made in USA items❣ But love saving $ at Dollar tree.

• Libby says:

Cleaning supplies . They sell a cleaner called Awesone and it really is!!! I never run out if it.also furniture polish and Dish soap and hand soap.

• Melissa says:

I’ve found that the glow sticks at michaels are a better deal. 12-15 glow sticks in a package for $1 as compared with 5 for $1 at dollar tree, at least at my store. I’m sure it’s different throughout the country.

• Angela says:

Dampx..normally 3 to 5 dollars at other stores..i buy 10 at a time..they go fast when they are placed on shelf

• Savannah says:

I’ve found that the ziploc bags and others like it aren’t a great deal at The Dollar Tree. Like you said – some things aren’t a great deal and when you break it down to cost per bag, it’s usually not a good buy at my local stores.

• Sandra says:

I agree with all of the comments and would add the clear whitening mouthwash. I keep it in a crystal decanter on the counter in my bathroom, so pretty. I also have bought pill minders and travel containers for my own products. They are much less expensive than buying at Target or the drugstore. Their shave gel works well in a travel size container for air travel. I have also bought pet toys which my dog can chew up just as well as a $6.00 dollar one from the pet store. Speaking of pets, food and water containers for travel are handy, too. I have also found the disposable 2 for $1.00 aluminum baking pans for casseroles and lasagna helpful when attending picnics and potlucks.

• Denise says:

Classroom supplies! As a preschool teacher, I’m always on the lookout for cute borders and pre-cut letters.

• Jen says:

My kids love to get craft supplies – glitter glue is a favorite. Magic erasers for me. We just moved to Canada and I stopped in to get foil pans to bring a meal to someone…. I was feeling smug that I’d get things for 75c US…until I saw the sign…”Everything’s $1.25!” 😂😂

• Malinda says:

I buy benadryl, generic zyrtec and anti itch cream, etc. It’s great for leaving in your purse or car when you need. I do also buy the tick/flea stuff for my dog just on a whim to try (you have to do once a month) but our dog who usually kept getting ticks, didn’t have any when we used this.

• What a great list! We love the Dollar Store as well. I would add toothpaste, sometimes shampoo (depending on the brands), and our favorite bread is sold at our local Dollar Store as well! Whenever it is, I load up and freeze the extra loaves.

• Lisa says:

I have not had good luck with their aluminum foil; it was very thin and tore too easily. Also not impressed by their poster markers (run out very quickly) or tape (also tears where it’s not supposed to).

Earbuds/headphones. Great if you tend to lose them or kids pull them apart. Only a dollar, I can deal with that.

I’ve used their vinyl removable stickers for wedding decorations or party decorations, even putting them on some of those serving plates to make them more colorful or festive.

I second the frozen blueberries, reading glasses, triple antibiotic ointment, and the generic magic erasers that others mentioned. Mylar balloons for $1 filled and with strings attached is pretty great. Unless they’re used as punching bags, they can last a couple weeks.

Once I found Himalayan pink salt in tall grinders. So amazed. I got two and gave one away, and they don’t carry them at mine anymore.

• Esther says:

When my kids get invited to a birthday party, I’ll give them $5 to buy 5 items for the friend. They usually buy a mix of candy, toys, and craft stuff. If the other mom is anything like me, she’ll be glad to get “consumable” gifts so they don’t add to the glut of toys already in the house!

• crystal says:

I would have to add bandages. The cloth ones stick soooo much better than the plastic type, and are much more expensive at Walmart. Our dollar tree, has the nuckle and knee bandages as well!

• Jen says:

Baby Bath, applesauce, dental floss, balloons, matches, hand sanitizer. I agree with the pregnancy tests, cards, and bandaids!

• Ann says:

I like foam hand soap and usually get it at dollar tree. Then when it is out I water down regular liquid hand soap or shower gel(usually bought at dollar tree) to refill it. Also…

Reading glasses (a pair for the car, one for the purse, another for home)
    Sunglasses (lots since I lose them constantly)
    Shaving cream
    Coffee mugs
    Cool glass vase (for a bamboo plant bought elsewhere)
    Fishbowl type glass container for succulents
    I bought an 8 pack of gel pens in different colors
    Safety pins(usually found in checkout line)
    Every once in a while they have diabetic socks I will pick up for some of my patients I see in home health.
    Thanks for this. I got some ideas from the comments!

• Pat Cabral says:

Oh wow!! I use diabetic socks…. I never knew Dollar Tree sold them! I will have to look for them thank you so much….. I have been paying seven dollars for two pairs at Walmart!!

• Lorie says:

Our DT has name brand bread. My favorite thing to buy there is hand soap refills that are in squeezing bags.

• Stephinie says:

I buy most of the above but my favorite find is battery operated Christmas lights. We participate in our town’s parade of lights every year and they are $4-5 anywhere else.

• Sharon Schulze says:

I like the packages with 8 packs of 10 tissues (less expensive than the name brand ones, and just as good!) at Dollar Tree. I also keep a stash of the kids’ tissue packets with cartoon characters on them; my grandkids love to get those in their Easter baskets, Christmas stockings, etc. I generally buy my boxed tissues there, too–decent-sized boxes of Scotties and Kleenex (plus you can use coupons 🙂 ).

I also buy mesh shower scrubbies there (I can’t find those anywhere else for $1); sometimes I can get a package of 3 smaller ones, which I like to use for travel. At that price I don’t mind leaving them behind, rather than packing a damp one.

I recently bought a pool noodle to cut in half and use to keep my knee-high boots upright in the closet (they work well in the pool, too!).

• Andrea says:

Thanks- I have a person(adult child) moving out. I am definitely going to use Dollar Tree for the foil/plastic wrap, broom, organizing containers and a few other things. I already bought some of the Betty Crocker kitchen utensils.

I realize it is high summer but in winter- some of Dollar Tree’s hats (the ones lined with fleece ) are pretty good and warm. Not necessarily stylish but good to keep around for extras(or to put under more stylish hats!).

I have bought some of their Royal Norfolk dishes and bowls for holiday use at home. They looked nice and seemed sturdy. I never know about mugs. A friend gave me some expensive mugs for a gift from a high end company and while they said microwave usable- the handles got too hot.

• Miranda says:

The frozen food is the biggest thing for me. Frozen mixed berries, blueberries, mangos, and strawberries are the cheapest in town and work just fine for smoothies. Plus, the frozen fruits and veggies are from a Christian company. The veggies I get often, but their broccoli just has too many tough stem pieces for me. But their pepperoni is a decent price (unless I find a good coupon/sale deal elsewhere) and their 1lb packages of pork sausage (though high in fat) have topped many a pizza or biscuits and gravy.

• Alek says:

Dollar Tree does accept coupons! Use coupons at Dollar Tree for either free or really cheap. I love Dollar Tree since it is a huge money saving move and nobody can tell it was from Dollar Tree when I’m throwing a party.

• Tyla Milian says:

I too am a loyal Dollar Tree customer. The pregnancy tests really do work! Used them several times.

• Melissa says:

I agree with everything on your list. I would add the Science/History Fair display boards to the list. Our whole house is organized with Dollar Tree bins. We love the season department. Most of all my kids love when we go and I say you have $7 to spend go get what you want n

• kim says:

Thanks for the wonderful article on the Dollar Store items.
    I love the clear picture frames the magnetic ones. They are perfect for putting on the refrigerator with loved ones pictures in them!!

• Leann Thomas says:

Teacher supplies, classroom decorations, flash cards, wreath supplies, broom and dust pan for my classroom, reading glasses, ink pens, paper clips, hair accessories, hand sanitizer, and I hear the laundry pods are really good and I plan on trying them.

• USAPip says:

When purchasing supplies, you need to do maths to compare prices at varying stores as it’s all so annoyingly packaged. For instance flash cards were cheaper per card at Target than at Dollar tree! Meanwhile, per tissue, a box was cheaper at Dollar tree! Pencil leads were not cheaper as you get more leads in what seems the comparable container at Target… Buyers beware

Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy