MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

Reader Tip: Get Paid to Workout Using Walgreens’ Balance Rewards

Katie, from Saving You Everything, sent in the following tip:

If you’re one of the many people who pay for a gym membership, you might be interested to know how I get paid to workout!

I belong to a local gym that charges me $10.49/month to workout; however, I use Walgreens Balance Rewards recoup that cost!

Most people know you can earn Balance Rewards points for purchases, but did you know that you can also earn them for logging good health behaviors like exercising, weighing-in, and quitting smoking?

You can link your Balance Rewards account with your smartphone or FitBit-type device so it automatically records activity. Or you can manually log into your account to track your activities. (It’s on the honor system.)

The Walgreens Balance Rewards program will give you a credit of 20 Balance Rewards every time you log one mile of walking or running (up to $10.00 per month). So if you log at least 50 miles a month, you will earn $10 a month.

You can also earn Balance Rewards for other activities like weighing in and setting healthy weight goals. You can even combine coupons when redeeming your points for even more savings.

It’s really a win-win situation!

On top of all of this, my health insurance will reimburse me the cost of my gym membership IF I go at least 12 times a month! How great is that?!

23 Comments

• Darcy says:

Thank you for this tip! I basically never shop at Walgreens, but I sure will if it’s free money to spend! I linked the My Fitness Pal app with my Garmin Vivofit wristband & app, and just linked My Fitness Pal with my Walgreens account, so I am hoping that my steps and food tracking each day will automatically earn me points and eventually $ at Walgreens! 🙂

• Melody says:

Thank you for the tip. I already workout on a regular basis and this incentive will help me to workout more.

• Jay says:

Thank you! Just had a hospital visit with high deductible so any little bit helps.

• Stacey says:

So excited to try I don’t shop at Walgreens since they got rid of their rebates. Excited to see if this helps save me there again.

• Annie says:

Thanks so much for sharing this! What a wonderful program. I’m going to do it! We belong to our local Y, which isn’t cheap, and every little bit of help with our other expenses is great! Thank you.

• linda says:

I have used this for quite a while. I love it. It keeps me accountable too. I use it mainly to get my vitamins for free. I log my blood sugar as well and have a graph of fluctuations that I can track as well. Love it!

• Krystal says:

I have done this last year and I was able to get a several points through out the year. I was able to get my kids some small x mas gifts/stocking stuffers last year with coupons (to make my points go further). I just re added my Fitbit tracker(fit but was not working well so haven’t used it in a bit) and I’ve logged about 10/15 miles so far this year!!! Wahoo for free money.

• Michelle Black says:

Would love to know what insurance you have that reimburses. That’s awesome!

• katie says:

United Healthcare is the carrier that we have, but they have different policies in different areas and offered through different employers. It’s worth a call to find out though! At first they only offered it through certain gyms and it took mine quite a while to be a participating member. I believe that most YMCA’s are part of this offering, however.

• Julie says:

Very cool! I never shop at Walgreens…but I might now! My insurance (Ambetter by Coordinated Care) has a gym reimbursement plan and I get $20 every month I go to the gym at least 8 times. I love it!

• Kate says:

Please explain how you came up with $10 a month. You need 10,000 points to earn $10. The maximum miles you can log per month is 50 miles. At 20 points a mile that gives you 1,000 points. You can earn extra points by setting goals and other things but it is no where near the 10,000 point mark.

• Kara says:

I am wondering the same thing so watching? I connected my Fitbit and I am almost at 1000 in my first week so I am excited to see how it all works out!

• Bonnie says:

Yes, I would also like to know how to get the 10,000 points per month…Or even $5000 for a $5 reward…

• Jamie says:

I came back to reread this as I’ve been logging regularly and not getting anywhere near the $10 reward. Either we’re all missing something or this is just not accurate.

• Amy says:

I shop at Walgreens and have a Balance Rewards Account??. I am totally going to try this. THANK YOU!!

Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy