MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

A Day In My Life: School, corn dogs (!), YouTube videos, & I found the missing tweezers!

A Day In My Life

This morning began, like most mornings do, with me creeping downstairs to light my ePantry candle and enjoy some quiet before the rest of the family gets up. I cherish this morning quiet — even if some mornings it only lasts for 15 minutes or so before someone else wakes up. 🙂

A Day In My Life

Once the kids were all up around and dressed, we ate breakfast (cereal and oatmeal) and then started in our Morning School Time. We always start with Bible Reading and Scripture memory — we’re reading some from Genesis and Luke and memorizing Psalms 8 right now.

A Day In My Life

The kids brought their LEGOs to the table today to build while I read to them. I’m a big fan of letting kids work on something with their hands while I read aloud to them. Honestly, I think kids listen better when their hands are busy.

So I always encourage them to draw, play with LEGOs, create, or play with play-doh while I read. I think we get through twice as much reading with 500% better attention by doing this.

A Day In My Life

We’re reading from a few different read alouds for Sonlight right now + we talked about using adverbs in creative writing and listened to some poetry today.

A Day In My Life

I had discovered these Adult Coloring Pages earlier this morning and had to print some off because I wanted to use them and I thought the girls might enjoy them, too. Kaitlynn scooped them up and had fun working on them while listening to me read.

After we were finished with our Morning School, the kids worked on their chores, I did a little clean-up, we ate lunch, and then got ready to head to my chiropractor appointment.

{I’ve become such a big believer in chiropractors over the past few years and have seen such improvement in my overall health by going to them. Best of all, they are very inexpensive and so worth the investment for the health benefits I’ve experienced!}

A Day In My LifeA Day In My Life

While the girls finished their independent school with Jesse, Silas came with me to the chiropractor.

It started raining BUCKETS while we were in my appointment. I hadn’t thought to bring an umbrella so we got drenched on the way out to the car.

And then, of course, as soon as we got in the car, it all but stopped raining. When we made it safely to the car, Silas exclaimed, “We just conquered the second biggest storm in history.” Not sure what the first biggest storm was — maybe Noah’s flood?!

On the way home, we stopped by Sonic to buy 3 of their corn dogs that were just $0.50 today.

A Day In My Life

The kids were just a wee bit excited about the corn dogs. It cracked me up that such a simple, inexpensive thing could bring so much fun into their day.

Screen Shot 2015-05-26 at 9.30.37 PM

They told me that they needed to make crazy faces in this photo because “that’s what most kids would do if someone were taking picture of them with corn dogs.”

{I promise Kaitlynn was not sticking the corn dog up her nose… it only looks like that in the picture!!}

A Day In My Life

After the corn dog excitement, the kids settled in to make LEGO videos. They have hopes of someday having their own YouTube channel and have been practicing filming themselves making various LEGO tutorials and learning how to use the video software.

It’s hilarious to listen in from the other room — especially when Silas says things like, “Be sure to follow me on Instagram, comment on my blog, and like my Facebook Page.” All without being prompted.

Today, he told me that he’s going to “Send his YouTube followers to MoneySavingMom.com, so I need to be prepared for some extra comments.”

A Day In My Life

While the kids were working on making “YouTube videos”, I worked on cleaning out the kid’s bathroom cupboards and drawers. I hadn’t tackled these in a long time and they were certainly in need of some help!

A Day In My Life

I ended up with a bag of things to get rid of (mostly trash/items needing to be tossed) and some items that needed to be put back where they belonged.

A Day In My Life

I was especially excited to find the missing half of my favorite brush (the handle came off awhile back and I hung onto it hoping that actual brush part would eventually show up!), another brush that had disappeared, and the tweezers that I’d practically turned the house upside-down to find not too long ago! Yay!!

I finished up some blogging work, we had leftovers for dinner, we cleaned up the kitchen together, the kids got ready for bed and went to bed, and then I finished typing this up while Kathrynne stayed up a little later because she was giving me the most amazing head massage (that girl knows how to get her mama to say “yes” to letting her stay up a little later!) 🙂

My evening routine is done, so now I’m off to hang out with Jesse and maybe get in a little reading before heading to bed around 10:30 p.m…

How was YOUR day today? Tell us about it in the comments!

51 Comments

• Kristine says:

I’d bet the first big storm was probably Noah 😉 And I totally agree about the quiet time. Mornings are hard (b/c we never get to bed on time) but it makes a world of difference in my day if I have a little time.

• I know that getting to bed on time can be a struggle — especially during certain seasons of life or if you have teenagers or weird work schedules, or kids who struggle to sleep! I’m all about just doing the best you can do and being okay with that!

• Nichole says:

Daughter finished up her first round of swimming lessons. So fun to see her learning and growing.

Ooo…tell me more about adult pages.

• Nichole says:

I know you’ve mentioned your daughter catching you coloring by yourself. 🙂 You’ve talked about encouraging your creative side. Do you have a post on that?

• April says:

I giggled out loud over the kids and their YouTube videos. Only a blogger’s kid! I could relate to EVERY word of this: except Sonic. I live in California. No Sonic, Chick Fil A, or Cracker Barrel in my town. 🙁 Just plain unAmerican. I’m a home schooler too, so we begin our days exactly like this. I FIRMLY believe in the power of the chiro., and my children think they are Lego masters too. Making YouTube videos has also occurred to them. Thanks for the laugh!

• Chelsea says:

I also have a favorite hairbrush head but the handle is long gone. I don’t think anything of it because I have used it that way for awhile, but I have gotten some really weird looks while using it. I am so glad you made it through the 2nd biggest storm, that sounds serious! 😉

• I’m starting my morning early, and having a chance to catch up on my blog reading. I thought my 14 month old was waking early but was able to get him back to sleep. I stayed up and am enjoying the quiet to work! Our day today has plans for shopping at the grocery store and making enchilada casserole for dinner. Other than that, I’m hopeful for a quiet day at home. Love that your kids were so excited about the corn dogs! Simple treats are the best!

• Ami says:

Check out Jostie Flicks on YouTube, if you haven’t already, to inspire the kids in their video making.

• I love the idea of the adult coloring pages. Looks like fun, might have to print some out for myself.

• Susan in St. Louis says:

Love it! Your kids are great. 🙂

• I love reading about Silas. As a mom of boys it warms my heart.

• Connie C. says:

Start saving your corn dog money now. My 16 yo at *8* of them yesterday. And guess what? He was probably as excited about it as your (younger than him!) kids. We all need a little ‘treat’ in our days!

• Kadee says:

My 12 year old started going to the chiropractor for the first time a couple months ago, and went twice a week for several weeks. She took him down to once a week for 2 weeks, and last week she said he should come every two weeks. Yesterday, we were in the middle of those two weeks, and my son asked when he is supposed to go again because he feels like he needs an adjustment! He hates doctors, but loves going to her to get adjusted. I think he is sold on chiropractic care, too.

• Kathrynne is a HUGE fan of chiropractors, too! I never would have expected that from her, but she had some back issues last year and we took her to our chiro and she got hooked.

Since she’s so athletic and active, I especially think it’s good to make sure she gets aligned regularly.

• leisa Parker says:

We also took advantage of 50cent corn dogs and half of drinks and got slushys with nerds and pop rock. While mom splurged on an ice tea. Welcome summer

• Amanda Hensley says:

I love reading these posts and even though I don’t have kids they are cute to read. I would love to start getting up (even 15 min) early to get some quiet time but never seems to happen. How did you get into that habit and any advice how to do it? Those 15 mins seem so precious when I am sleeping 🙂

• I started the habit when I was young, so I long ago learned what a difference it makes! I’d encourage you to commit to going to bed 15 minutes earlier and getting up 15 minutes earlier for a week. See if it makes a difference… often, the difference will be motivation enough to continue with it.

• Amanda Hensley says:

I have started this as well as your 14 day makeover your morning. I really LOVE it! I am only on day 5 but have seen a happier me!! Thank you so much for creating that!

• kariane says:

My boys never showed an interest in kids coloring books, but they love coloring books aimed at adults (mandalas, patterns, fractals, etc.). Fun stuff! Thanks for the links.

• Kristy H says:

Yay for Chiropractors! I am so glad that you have a positive experience. Let us know when Silas’ Lego channel comes out 😉 My Lego loving son and I will subscribe 🙂

• My kids always listen better while they are keeping their hands busy, too. Some of our favorite activities are pipe cleaner and clothespin creations, making bead necklaces, lacing cards, and coloring. I can’t wait to print off those coloring pages! Thanks so much for sharing.

Side note: my 12 year old son got an adult dot-to-dot book for his birthday. Now that is amazing. Soooo worth the money as each one provides hours and hours of entertainment.

• Oh, I’ve never seen an adult dot-to-dot book! I’ll have to see if I can find one. I bet Kathrynne would love that!

• JoannaTopaz says:

You can find them at Mindware, where they are called Extreme Dot to Dot. Some 20-somethings in our extended family got them for Christmas a couple of years ago.

• Tiffany says:

What kind of pens/markers are pictured?

• Amy says:

Crystal, how do you stay motivated to get up and get moving each day? Do you generally have a positive attitude about your days? May I ask how you cope or stay on task when you’re tired or discouraged?

I enjoy reading about your routines and things, it encourages me to see that it can be done. ☺️

• Such a great question and I think I’m going to answer it as a post, because I had so much ideas that came to mind in response. Look for that soon — maybe even by tomorrow! 🙂

• Laura says:

LOVE these day-in-the-life posts, Crystal! Also love how just the littlest of things make such a huge difference, not only in our kids days, but in ours as well. 🙂

Today has been SO much better than yesterday – thanking God for that! We have 3 kids ages 5, 4 and 2, so life gets a little hectic, to say the least.

This morning we went across the street to the school playground and I had a blast running around on the baseball field playing freeze tag with my kids. What a difference just a change of scenery and a little fresh air makes. Hope you have a great rest of your day!

• MindaC says:

I was pretty excited for 50 Cent Corn Dog Day myself! My babysitter lives near Sonic so my 19 month old and I picked up a few after work. A fun and frugal tradition is born!

• Maria says:

Crystal,
    You might find it easier to transfer 6 weeks or so at a time of Sonlight pages into a 3-ring binder for daily use so you don’t have to work with the entire giant Instructor’s guide.

Kitty

• I saw they recommended that… and am definitely considering it if the Instructor’s Guide becomes too bulky. So far, it’s not been a problem, but we’re only two weeks in, so we’ll see!

• That comment about Silas working on YouTube videos cracked me up! I think you have a future marketing guru on your hands. 🙂

• I really do wonder what his future might hold… the stuff he comes up with and how he already thinks so much about entrepreneurial and marketing ideas is fascinating to me!

• Scout says:

Today, I was off work from my part-time job so we made the most of it as a learning day. My son is 2 1/2 years old and I homeschool as I can since I work part-time. We worked on talking, violin lessons, swim lessons, drawing and letters. I also got some work done on writing my book and my blog. Thanks for sharing your day!

• Love legos during Read-Aloud time! Silas is adorable. 🙂

• Emily says:

“Send his YouTube followers to MoneySavingMom.com, so I need to be prepared for some extra comments.” Haha!! He sounds like a hilarious kiddo. Gotta love it!

Maybe you can then hire him to help moderate the extra comments you receive? 😉

• Annette says:

How is the chiropractor inexpensive for you? Whenever I have tried to go in the in the past and looked into it is really expensive .

• I’d recommend calling around to see what prices are… the ones we’ve gone to are around $30 to $40 per visit regularly and some of them have special plans they can put you on to lower your regular price even more. In addition, many have new patient offers. Also, some chiros accept insurance, if your insurance covers chiropractors.

• Theresa says:

Adult coloring books are very in right now. One of the managers I work with went to a conference and the coordinators of the conference gave every attendee a coloring book and they all sat for 20-30 minutes coloring as part of the conference. When the manager returned, she had me order some for her staff and her patients. (I’m the purchasing agent for my employer.) Barnes and Noble and Amazon both have back-orders for the Color Me series which looks like a great series. I’m going to personally buy one for myself and one for my little sister’s Christmas present. They’re a great stress-reliever!

Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy