MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

Early to Rise Challenge: Day 1 (Your Mindset Matters)

Welcome to the Early to Rise Challenge! Throughout the month of March, I’m challenging myself and my readers to make the most of their mornings. So every week day morning at 9 a.m. EST, I’m posting a short Early to Rise post. I’ll share a few of my thoughts on the day’s passage from Early to Rise, tell you what time I got up that morning, and encourage you to leave a comment to tell us what time you got up and how you’re doing on the challenge.

Woohoo! It’s Day 1 of the Early to Rise Challenge and I am so stoked about how many of you are committed to participating in this challenge.

If you haven’t done so already, be sure to stop over here and leave a comment telling us what time you are committing to get up every week day morning in March. Please remember to be realistic. This is not a contest to see who can get up the earliest or who can survive on the least amount of sleep. On the contrary, this is about making the most of your mornings — whether you get up at 4 a.m. or 9 a.m.

Also, you’ll want to grab a copy of Early to Rise by Andy Traub if you haven’t already done so. He’s offering it at the discounted price of just $4.99 through the end of the day today (March 1, 2013). You can read my review of Early to Rise here.

Your Mindset Matters

I love how Andy begins his book with challenging us to stop thinking negative thoughts. That’s the best way to set yourself up for defeat.

If you read about this challenge and started shaking your head saying, “I can’t wake up early” you’ve already gotten yourself headed in the direction of failure. If however, you commit to a realistic time to get up and then you approach it with confidence and a can-do attitude, you’re much more likely to actually follow through.

You can do it, I know you can! So believe it and then follow through with it!

What Time Did You Get Up This Morning?

Me? I got up at 5:31 a.m. to be exact.

What time did you get up? Leave a comment and let us know!

Join in the Chatter!

Want to blog about this challenge? If you’re blogging through this challenge with me, be sure to leave your link to your direct post for today below. Plus, if you’d like to post your daily posts to the Early to Rise Group Board on my Pinterest page, just shoot me an email (moneysavingmom @ gmail dot com) and I’ll invite you.

Want to follow along on Twitter or Instagram? Each week day morning on my Facebook Page, my Twitter account, and my Instagram account, I’ll be posting a picture of my alarm clock as public accountability. I’d love to have you do the same or join in the discussion on Twitter and Instagram. Just follow hashtag #EarlytoRise to see what others are tweeting and Instagramming about this challenge!

Other posts in the Early to Rise Challenge series

1. The 30-Day Early to Rise Challenge Begins on Friday (grab your ebook for just $4.99!)
  2. Early to Rise Challenge: Day 1 (Your Mindset Matters)
  3. Early to Rise Challenge: Wake Up With a Plan for Your Day
  4. Early to Rise Challenge: It's Not Always Easy (and am I the only one who thinks drinking coffee black is crazy??)
  5. 15 Things You Can Do Each Morning to Make Your Day More Successful
  6. Early to Rise Challenge: Adjust Your Attitude
  7. 11 Things to Do Tonight to Set You Up for Success Tomorrow
  8. Early to Rise Challenge: Change Your Life By Taking One Small Step at a Time
  9. Early to Rise Challenge: Find the Artist in You
  10. Early to Rise Challenge: "It's Your World, So Change It"
  11. Early to Rise Challenge: Swim Upstream
  12. Early to Rise Challenge: Focus on Other People
  13. 5 Steps to Start Your Day With a Better Attitude
  14. Early to Rise Challenge: Find What Motivates You
  15. Early to Rise Challenge: The Halfway Mark!
  16. Early to Rise Challenge: Choose Who You Will Be Today
  17. Free printable: 17 Ways to Set Your Morning Up for Success
  18. Early to Rise Challenge: Don't Live Today on Accident
  19. Early to Rise Challenge: Be Quiet
  20. Early to Rise Challenge: Face Your Day With a Smile
  21. Early to Rise Challenge: Find an Accountability Partner
  22. Early to Rise: Share Your Success (and why I have a new crazy-early wake-up time!)
  23. 11 Things You Can Do Tonight to Set You Up for Success Tomorrow (free printable)
  24. Early to Rise Challenge: You're Not Alone
  25. 5 Ways to Keep Your Sanity with a Newborn
  26. Early to Rise Challenge: Begin Your Day With Prayer
  27. Early to Rise Challenge: Don't Settle for Average!

193 Comments

• Jesse M says:

I woke up at 6am and was able to get my shower in and dressed and feeling refreshed before my kids or husband got up, which was awesome. Made me feel a lot more relaxed and able to enjoy sitting with the kids more as I made their breakfast and we ate it before I had to take my son to school. So far so good. I also worked out last night for the first time in a long while which was great, just did a quick 10 minutes of cardio and then 10 minutes of yoga. But it helped me get to sleep better I think which helped this morning 🙂 🙂

• Meagan says:

My alarm went off at 5:45 and 6:00. I woke up at 6:00 and thought really hard about getting up and showering, but I was up during the night with my teething one year old and decided that sleep sounded better. I actually got up at about 6:45. I guess the baby knew I needed some time this morning because he slept in until 8:15! I will try again on Monday.

• Kate says:

I didn’t start out on the best foot..I hit snooze and got up at 6:35. My goal is 6:00. Oops! I’ll try harder tomorrow.
    Kate

• Erica says:

I woke up at 4:45 to my little man who isn’t a great sleeper. Got my daughter off to school with Crazy hair for Dr. Suess birthday and then went for 3 mile walk. It was great. 🙂 now im working on 4 weeks to fill your freezer. but my kids and hubby eats everything just as fast as I get it made 🙁

• Koree says:

11 AM…thoroughly enjoying my week off!

• Jamie says:

the alarm went off at 5:30 and I was up by 5:45;)

• I couldn’t fall asleep last night, and so I was an hour late getting up today. Trying again tomorrow! (Since my time isn’t all that early for me – 7am – I plan to stick with it on Saturdays as well.)

• Becky says:

I set my alarm to 5am, I got out of bed at 5:15. I showered, dried & styled my hair (for the weekend….hehe…I refuse to do it everyday). While I did my hair, I listened to my audio book & I put some sausage patties on a pan on very low & put some homemade freezer biscuits in the oven. By the time I was done with my hair, our breakfast was ready too! I enjoyed breakfast & a great chat with my two oldest before they were off & running to college & work. By then my lil ones woke up ready for breakfast too (YES, I have college kiddos & elementary homeschooled kiddos too…lol!) I then spent the morning with my hubby running errands on his day off. Great day!

• Sandra says:

I woke up at 0630 and spent the first hour of my day with the Lord!

• Susan says:

My goal is to wake up by 6:30 AM. Last night, I went to bed a little earlier than I have been, which was good. This morning, I actually woke up super-early, at 4:00 AM — that happens every once in a while — so I just got up and started in on a half-done project. It is so much
    easier to get sustained work done in the early hours. By the way, I just checked the Early to Rise plan and was really glad to read that it applies to weekdays only.

• Heidi says:

I WAS UP AT 5:33am this morning. It’s the usual time I get UP during the week so I can be UP before my oldest gets up for school at 6am.

• Kristin says:

Out of bed at 5:54 am. Enjoyed a cup of coffee in a quiet house (only the dog and cat were up) while watching the snow fall before leaving for the gym and work. A good start for what was a very crazily busy day at the office.

• Tracy says:

Up since midnight with a sick child, so my schedule was a bust today. Will try again when the flu is gone. 🙁

• Sara B says:

I’m in. Woke up at 7:30 a.m. this very morning. I feel so motivated by this book. Thanks Andy Traub!

• Jessica McIntosh says:

I got up at 530. I didn’t actually get out if bed until 545 but I always start my morning my checking my texts and FB messages. I still got in a workout and got dinner in the crockpot and my daughters lunch made before I left at 715. I am so excited!!!!

• Katie says:

Soooo, getting my blog post done and linked up at 8:30pm is somewhat less in the early-to-rise spirit that I’d hoped for. Oh well; that’s what new days are for…

• K Quinn says:

So this is weekdays right? I’m the trackback at the bottom. I got up this morning off and on from 6:30 (when hubby leaves) to 7:30 when I FINALLY pushed back the covers and got up. My daughter got up at her 8. She is so good. Really puts me to shame.

• Genevieve says:

Okay, so I bought the book and I am ready to go. I got up at 6:40 am this morning… only ten minutes off of my goal. I am going to make this happen. When my alarm goes off in the morning, I often think selfishly that I can get up at 7 and just do my scripture/worship studies at night. I know, however, that I have a much better day when this is done in the morning. So… now I am off to bed to get up at 6:30 tomorrow… alarm is set… wish me luck!

• Kate says:

I woke up at my goal time! Unfortunately so did my one year old. My goal it to wake up before her so I can really “wake up” and not just grumpily stare at her at the breakfast table.

• Amanda A says:

In all honesty, I woke up at 6:45 this morning…not 5:30. But it was because I was staying home with a sick kid and we had been up late the night before & I knew we weren’t going anywhere. Come Monday, I’m all in!

• Shu says:

Not so great today… 7:14am… and didn’t totally wake up till almost 9am… Was very undisciplined about going to bed last night. Yet, I will try again!

• Lauren says:

I got up at 5:40, but that is when I have to get up to get my older kids going every morning. My struggle is, we are a large and busy family, and if I go to bed before 11 p.m. things just don’t get done. You can only “let go” of and simplify so much — certain things just have to get done! So it is a struggle to get up at 5:40 because I am tired. And even at that time the mornings are rushed and crazy – 3 kids leave at 6:10 for an early mornig seminary class, one leaves at 6:35 for school, and the other two leave with me at 7:25 for school. I know an earlier morning wake-up would mean for a less stressful start to the day, but logistically I don’t know how to make it work without turning into a grouchy bear. Taking naps on Sunday helps me get through the week but I am still often so tired…..

• Michelle says:

My sweet hubby, not knowing my plan to for this month, heard my alarm and turned it off this morning. He said he knew I am tired this week and wanted me to sleep a bit more. What a sweet goal busting darling.

• mariah says:

Despite waking up at 2am, which is a regular occasion, I woke up again at 5:30. I accomplished a lotore today than I usually do. I hope I can keep this up if a certain child of mine doesn’t need to use the bathroom at 2am every night and awake crying, not knowing where she is. Poor girl, but this will be short lived and I still hope for wake early.

• Robyn says:

I had a little guy that did that too. His bedtime was 8:00, but I would get him out of bed around 11:00 (or just before I went to bed) and take him potty. That was enough to get him through til morning. Hope this helps.

• Susy L. says:

wasn’t going to comment but its encouraging to hear everyone’s stories/comments. kudos to you who met your goal and kudos to you who didn’t BUT didn’t give up. im a mom to three littles as well two being 4 yo twins. of course the first day of challenge was a preschool field trip day. my goal is not necessarily a certain time but an hour BEFORE they need to get up.

we got this ladies!

• Stephanie says:

What a great challenge! I usually do well getting up early but I’ve been struggling lately. It’s time to get back on track and this challenge may very well be what I need.

• Stephanie F. says:

My goal was to wake up at 7AM so that I could read the Bible at home instead of on my morning commute on my Bible app. I didn’t get up right at 7, instead I woke up at 7:10 (still earlier than usual) so I still had time to read! It actually helped to wake me up and I felt great about starting my day with powerful words. I will aim for waking up at 7 on Monday!

• Stacy says:

Day One I woke up at 6:37 am!

• Robyn says:

I’m getting a little bit of a late start with the challenge, but I’m in! Bought the book this morning and read through to the first day. Been struggling physically and spiritually lately and this challenge is exactly what I need in order to make some positive changes. I am choosing to have confidence in my ability to get up early for the next thirty days, and beyond!

• Lori says:

So, I’m a bit behind…but today was technically my day one, so I thought I’d jump on the bandwagon 😉 Goal was 6:30, actually woke up at 6:51. Since I am a terribly deep sleeper and it can take my husband hours (literally!) to wake me up some days, I’m going to count that as a giant success. Woke up to my own alarm, and got out of bed before my children. That’s all that really matters today!

Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy