MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

What is your biggest clutter hot spot?

Many, many of you have written in or commented in the last few months that you are really struggling with home organization. So I’m excited to let you know that I’ve teamed up with Andrea Dekker from Simple Organized Living to bring you a brand-new monthly feature called called “Ask the Organizer“.

Each month, we’ll feature one organizing question and let you weigh in your thoughts, answers, and opinions. Then later in the month, Andrea will pick one or two of the most popular responses and share her tips, ideas, and suggestions for dealing with those issues!

So, to start things off, this month’s question is:

What is your biggest clutter hot spot?

Leave your answers below and then check back in a couple weeks for Andrea’s expert organizing advice!

286 Comments

• angela says:

My kitchen island is huge and right beside the computer/desk area… both things tend to pile up with toys, books, the mail, files, todo list, planners, etc etc etc. Wishing I could find a better way to organize it.. but it’s a huge open counter (6.5 x 4 ft area) for everyone to pile things on.

• Lisa says:

My desk! The file box for mail and papers to be dealt with is overflowing and the rest of the desk is covered with piles. It stressed me out but I’m so overwhelmed I don’t know where to start to deal with it. Once every few months, I’ll go through and organize, but the clutter just keeps creeping back.

• Kelly Hess says:

Kitchen counter and dining room table! They just collect everything!!

• Guidemom says:

My desk is a mess with homeschool supplies, bills, mail, photos, office supplies and coupons. It is depressing to come downstairs every morning and walk into the kitchen and see that pile in corner that is my office space. I am really having a hard time concentrating in the kitchen and it shows with the blizzard on my desk.

• Guidemom says:

Is anyone brave enough to show their worst clutter online? Hmmm I wonder??? Post before and after? I have to pray on that one. 😉

• Tammy says:

dining table definitely the dining table. It’s in the kitchen by the door we all use to enter the house. Everything goes there. Maybe one day……

• Megan says:

My kitchen counters and kitchen table…plus my walk-in closet in my bedroom. When I’m having people over, I take all the clutter off my counters and throw it in my closet!!

• Ace1234 says:

Wow! Hot spots are a hot topic!
    We call it “household geometry” – horizontal surfaces soon pile up!

Another vote for kitchen table. Four kids (not homeschooled) do homework at the kitchen table daily. I’ve learned to have them clear it off twice a day – around 4:30p so we can get ready for supper, and by 8:30p so I can lay out the breakfast stuff.

Just as a side note, one of our schools (4 kids at 3 schools) recently went “green” and now posts all parent/school communication papers online. This has REALLY reduced the volume of paper coming into our house. Love it. From the website, I can schedule events directly to the family calendar and then print out occasional permission slips, etc.

Looking forward to this series.
    Ace1234

• Cindy says:

My clutter USED to be the kitchen table, the dining room table, the upstairs office, the basement and of course the garage. Well …literally every room in the house. Now with a place for everything and organization skills improving, I have limited myself to the upstairs office for me and the garage for all of my husband’s stuff. I think I need a new office and garage. Eeeks …Little by little!

• Jill says:

I would love help with clothes. I have more clothes than I have space for so there is always a pile in the bedroom with clothes. I have gotten rid of a lot of clothes but wow do I still have a lot. Help.

• Sara says:

I hate to admit it…but we have an entire bedroom dedicated to clutter. It started with a few wedding gifts that didn’t fit in the kitchen cabinets…a large serving platter that is too wide to fit in any out our tiny cabinets no matter what way you turn it, a crock pot I use but just don’t have room to store in the kitchen. And then it grew. Items we need to give away or sell but haven’t yet, stacks of paper, things displaced from other rooms. It’s overwhelming.

• Maegan says:

My kitchen counter. I have a 7′ counter that I usually only have about 2-3′ to use for meal preparation. I am the pitcher in the family but everyone else are pack rats. It drives me nuts.

• Amanda says:

The BASEMENT!! After 3 kids I’ve got all their old clothes, toys, decorations….you name it, down there. Not to mention out laundry room. Ouy.

• brenda says:

My kitchen counter/bar area. It collects any and everything.

• Margery says:

My worst nightmare: Kitchen counters, bar area, and a nearby decorative table. It’s where our things go that aren’t ready to be put away for good, things in progress, instruction sheets for school projects, pieces of things that need to be fixed, etc.

• Jennifer B. says:

The corner of my kitchen counter next to the dining room, our spare room, & our basement. All are dumping grounds for various things.

• Amy N. says:

It’s definatley organizing papers. We have a small house with no real dedicated “office” space. I try to stay on top of the mail, recycling the junk as soon as it comes in the door. But, inevitably I end up with little stacks around the house of things I need to sort through or deal with later.

• Ann says:

Bedroom desk that ishubby’s working table, and the homeschool corner cupboard

• Suzanne says:

The dining room table is usually full of random stuff and has to be cleared before eating. I always toss junk mail immediately, so it’s all important stuff. I tried adding a little basket to our table to put the paperwork in, but that thing is perpetually full.
    I also have a hard time keeping my bedroom clean on my side. I am completely out of drawer space, so I just toss my sleep/relaxing stuff on my side, out of sight rather than stuff my drawers more. I also get lazy about hanging up my clothes after wash is done, but I am trying to be like my husband and just do it right away. For him, a messy bedroom equals a messy life.

• Amy E. says:

We have two spots – our buffet table in the dining room and our desk in the living room. So annoying!

• Amy says:

Papers. Everywhere. Need a way to process paperwork of all kinds much more easily. Also, the garage is the dumping/hiding spot in our home. Everything else is organized.

• Val says:

All of our mail and papers ends up getting piled on our breakfast bar since it’s the first available surface when we walk in the door from the garage. I’ve tried setting up a couple of systems but can’t seem to find one convenient enough for my husband to actually use.

• Charity says:

Counter tops, desk top

• lee says:

I think back to the days of when my oldest son was a toddler and my house was so organized and clean. We have since added to more children and a move to a smaller house (although we are buying our first house and it is bigger!). I can no longer keep up and my organizing has gone out the window. My biggest problem is my whole dinning room. Mail, cub scouts, homeschool, storage, and eating all have to occur in this one spot….not to mention the boys play all over the table with things. we have piles of unsorted paper on top of the microwave and it drives me crazy!

• shelly says:

The kitchen counter and one end of the kitchen table! I know this is my husband’s pet peeve. I have bought several organizers…it just isn’t helping or working.

• Tricia says:

Our front closet seems to always be a mess!

• Renee says:

the kitchen counters, bar counter, and dining room table!!! PAPER is such a challenge…always, always!!

• Susan says:

Any where junk can go out of sight out of mind……drawers, under the bed, closets. I’m bad!!!!!

• shannon says:

The front door area. We live up north so every winter it gets taken over by coats, hats and boots. We have a very small coat closet but kids too small to reach it and put them away themselves.

• Emily says:

My desk and workroom, this is the first place I enter when I come in the house so everything gets dumped here and I share the space with the family as it is also where the big television is located and the elliptical jogger so it attracts everyone. I don’t mind working in the middle of them but it gets messy fast!

• #1 is my dining table. It’s awful–we ALL just sit stuff there and it stays 🙁 It’s a chore just to clean it off for dinner.
    #2 is my laundry room.

• Laura says:

The kitchen table would be #1. That is where every thing goes when we enter through our garage. #2 would be the top of our dresser in the master bedroom. That is where things end up after I get around to cleaning off the kitchen table.

• Chelsea says:

We have an eat in kitchen, no formal dining room, and our kitchen table is our clutter hotspot.

• Nicole says:

Let’s see, the worst place is our kitchen – mainly the kitchen table, counter and computer desk. The biggest problem is all the paper!! Second worst place is our “spare room” it only has a path to walk through. Lastly our 1 car garage…it will never see a car 🙁

• Our master bedroom closet. It’s most always a disaster area.

• Candice says:

My kitchen counter is #1 but my bedroom is a close second. It seems that if something doesn’t have a home it winds up in my room.

• Dawn says:

Our is most definitely our laundry room. It’s a narrow room that also serves as the most-used entrance to our home, as it comes in from the garage.

We tend to drop our gloves, hats, boots, Sunday School papers, cell phones, junk mail, and whatever else is in our hands. They are left to pile up on top of the washer and dryer until I finally get frustrated and clean it. Within 3 or 4 days, the piles are back… 🙁

• sandy says:

Its the spare bedroom for me, full of tools, fishing supplies, storage totes and everything else that does not have a place. I don’t have a garage so all of those things need to be stored in our home. I would love for it to become a beautiful room for guest to stay but, I have no idea how to begin to organized all this stuff. Help!

• Audrey says:

I’m with everyone else. PAPERS!

• Sheila says:

The kitchen counter, and then my bedroom. The counter is the dumping place for papers and my bedroom is the dumping place for all those things that I don’t know what else to do with!

• Dorcas says:

My husband’s desk. I can keep the rest of the house organized, but haven’t figured out a way to get him excited about organizing his things.

• Lisa says:

Kitchen table

• Vickie says:

My kitchen counter. Thats where I put my pocket book, work bag, mail, keys, etc. First spot when I come home and everything gets deposited there.

• Cindy D says:

our biggest clutter trap is our dining room table which is a “catch all” for an assortment of items including mail, books, etc.

• Stephanie says:

Tie between the dining room table and the counter/bar in the kitchen. They’re both drop-off spots since they’re the first thing I pass after coming into the garage. Cleaned off the dining room table on Saturday but I have no doubt it’ll be cluttered again within a week.

• Kerry says:

I have two right now that are driving me nuts. Our main entry way off the garage which is where all the shoes, boots, snow pants, coats, backpacks and misc junk accumulates. It is in our basement so it’s hidden until I go to use it– which makes it super easy to ignore (until I go to leave!). The second spot is the kids linen closet. I just opened it today to find a blanket and found that someone (or a bunch of someones) have shoved extra blankets, sleeping bags and extra stuff into it and then slammed it close. Things fell out on me….so I need to find some time to organize that too.

• Carla says:

Have to say it is the dining room table and essentially, it’s the mail/paperwork/bills that pile up on it. I need to organize my paper flow!

• There’s a cabinet’s worth of counter space in our kitchen that I have claimed for my junk pile. It’s between the fridge and the wall, over in a corner that you don’t see when you first enter the kitchen. Everything that needs something done with it before it can be put away ends up there. There’s a Dirt Devil which needs a belt, several of my kids’ books that need repair, lots of caps and lids with codes on them that need to be entered into websites, batteries that need to be tested since I have no idea if they’re still good or not, papers that need filing……you get the idea. I’m actually rather proud that I manage to keep it to that one spot! (as long as you don’t look in my bedroom! Or the laundry room!)

• Emily says:

The kitchen countertops, especially the one closest to the entrance to the kitchen. And the entrance in the house.

• Mel says:

I just discovered Andrea’s blog a few weeks ago and I’m already addicted! It’s a great site. Really looking forward to this series. Thanks Crystal!

Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy