MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

Video blog: January’s hymn of the month

We set a goal as a family to learn one hymn every month in 2012 during our evening family Bible Time. The children are loving this and have learned almost all of the words to two verses of this month’s hymn. It’s so fun to hear them singing together.

We tried to capture them singing the hymn on video a few times last night and found that it’s near impossible to get a good take of three children singing at once. But just for fun, I thought I’d share one of our takes!

Silas also learned Jesus Loves Me this month and Kathrynne wanted to take a video of him singing it with her.

I feel so blessed and unworthy to get to nurture, love, and mother these three precious children. I truly want to soak up every moment.

107 Comments

• Jen says:

I am so glad you shared! There is something so sweet about little ones learning these precious hymns. Great inspiration to teach my little people 🙂

• MamaHen says:

Love it! So sweet!

• Rachel says:

Crystal,
    You’re kids are precious and you are doing an amazing job of teaching them about Jesus. I love it!

• Dee says:

oh the memories! We did this also as my boys were growing up and they still remember all the hymns. So precious!

• Nicci says:

Precious!

• Wanda says:

Very sweet. Thanks for sharing 🙂

• Laura says:

YES! This is what kids should be putting in their little minds! 🙂 Thank you so for much for sharing this with your readers. Very precious! Have you heard of Patch the Pirate CD’s? They would probaly enjoy those!

• Cindy says:

Love their little personalities coming through! Well done, Mommy and Daddy, for teaching them such good things. . . .

• Linda says:

Crystal,

I was so blessed to see your Three precious children singing their songs. It really uplifted my day. Please do more! What a Great Blessing!!

• Diana says:

Love it! We did that when I was a kid, and I still remember many of the hymns. My favorite memory was one day when my mom let my little brother read the words to the last verse of “Take Time to be Holy.” I was mad b/c I wanted to read them, and I was convinced I couldn’t understand him. I thought he was saying “The sled by His Spirit” and had no idea what he was talking about! (It’s “Thus led by His Spirit,” btw 🙂 ) I still think of that when we sing that song!

• Amie says:

So beautiful! Such a wonderful mommy moment.

• Jeannine says:

That is so great teaching them the hymns of faith. Read what Psalm 8 has to say about this.

I love to hear small children singing the hymns of faith. They really can learn even some of the longer harder hymns if taught them.

Timothy from an infant knew the Scriptures and I am sure this also included songs.

• Melinda says:

I keep my grandson and I was looking at your Blog. He saw the videos and wanted to here them over and over. Thank you! You are a great inspiration to this lo woman. I love keeping up with you and your precious family. Caleb, my grandson will be 3 next month. He already knows the ABeka /ABC’s up the J.

• Christy says:

That’s such a great goal, and your kids are so cute!

• This was so beautiful! Your children are all so beautiful and sing so well. I just don’t think there is anything sweeter on earth than little children singing to the Lord. I do work with hymns with my four too. Every morning we start with praying for people on our prayer board a Bible story and song. It is such a great way to start off the day. Thanks so much for sharing the videos. They made my morning!!

• Stephanie says:

That is so great!! We have been doing the same thing, and started just a couple months ago. So far we’ve learned “Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing” (which is our FAVORITE) and “A Mighty Fortress is Our God”. Kids are such sponges, it’s really amazing how quickly they learn and how well they retain what they learn.

• anon says:

Adorable!

• bonnie says:

My 2 yr old is loving your video. She’s singing along with them all morning!

• Shirley says:

Such a good idea! I love it when I hear my boys singing hymns, especially when they are playing and just singing to themselves. It is such a blessing!

• So cute! They have great pitch too! You can tell that they hear good music a lot; kids usually have a hard time learning to sing on tune when they don’t. (Based on my experience as a music teacher.) Keep up the great work!

• Jaycie says:

The kids are growing up so fast! Very precious video, Crystal. My daughter saw me watching it and had to come over and make me replay it. Hopefully it will get her into letting me record her singing for our video keepsakes, too. (She hides when I watch her singing now!) 🙂

• Jessica says:

I love, love, love this hymn and I love this video. God bless you for your faithfulness to Him, dear Crystal!

• cat says:

very precious. tfs,

• Thanks for that lift to my day … they are precious and it was wonderful to see how much joy they got from singing!

• Christina says:

Love this. Thank you so much for sharing.

• Maria says:

My husband and I teach piano and declared this year “The Year of the Hymn.” Each month we get our students to learn to play the melody and memorize two verses of a specific hymn. This month is “Holy, Holy, Holy.”

My husband likes to play the CD “Hymns Triumphant, ” playing that month’s hymn in between lessons while kids are coming and going.

Too many churches are not singing the great old traditional hymns and many children and young people are growing up not knowing them at all. We’re doing what we can to reverse that trend!

• T says:

SO precious! What a great idea. And an encouragement to other families, too!

Tell the kids we LOVE hearing them sing God’s praises:o)

• Karen says:

What a blessing! “Holy, Holy, Holy” is one of my favorite hymns from childhood.

• Jessica says:

That is so cute! Very well done.
    I love hearing my little boys sing. 🙂 I grew up in a musical, Christian family, so music and hymns are very important in our house and family, too! 🙂

• brooke says:

Very sweet! Wonderful idea to have them learn a new hymn every month! We may have to do this with our little one! I grew up learning and singing a lot of Bible songs and so often those come to my mind when I am having a hard day or struggling bc they are true and such an encouragement for my soul! Your children will call you you blessed!

• Teresa says:

This made my day today! Thanks for sharing!! Hope to see more in the upcoming months!

• KimH says:

So sweet & so precious! You’re doing a great job, Mom!

• Carolina says:

This was priceless!!
    Makes me want to jump into motherhood headfirst! It’s so beautiful that you are instilling a love of God in your children. Thank you for being an inspiration to your readers 🙂

• Amy Hull says:

Awesome job! Your middle child really like to sing loud. Reminds me of our second child. 🙂 Some sweet memories made here. Thanks for sharing.

• Elaine, Josiah's mom says:

all praise for these little lambs

• Ruth says:

We love that song too! It’s my 2-yr old’s favorite right now – we took a video of him singing it also! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0hsyE4eChM&feature=youtu.be

• Elizabeth Sterling says:

Beautiful Children!

• Joy A. says:

That is wonderful that your family has family worship in the evening! That is very important! Hymns are a great way for children to learn and often is the first thing that they will catch onto in family worship. I will encourage your family to keep this up at the children continue to get older.
    We have family worship in the morning & evening ourselves. We read from the Bible, read from spiritual books, and sing a hymn.

• Georgia says:

This is so cute! That is my 2 year old’s favorite song. I showed him the video of your kids singing it and he wanted to know what their names were. Later that day, he was walking around singing it when he stopped in front of me and said solemnly, “Silas walked away.” I was so tickled that he remembered Silas’ name!

• Janet says:

We learned so many hymns with my 3 girls as they grew up. So much doctrine can be learned by this! Great job, Crystal and kids.:)

• Catherine O. says:

This is so precious…your children have blessed so many just by you sharing this post here on your blog. Be blessed Crystal!

Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy