MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

Good Reads: Loving the Little Years

I really enjoyed Loving the Little Years. It’s not a book with lots of practical, hands-on advice, but it’s a book the deals with the heart issues we moms face.

I didn’t agree with the author on all points (I’m not really sure that I ever do, though!) and think we have to be careful when reading parenting books because what works for one family or one child isn’t necessarily what will or should work for another family or child. That said, I was convicted, and inspired by Loving the Little Years.

It made me really step back and re-examine my own heart and how I am responding to and discipling my children on a daily basis. Sometimes, it’s easier (in the moment) to just slap band-aids and quick fixes onto behavior and attitude issues, instead of really taking the time to deal with the heart issues and struggles our children are facing.

Loving the Little Years challenges moms to really delve down to the heart of the matter. As the author says, “The state of your heart is the state of your home.”

Have you read any good books recently?

23 Comments

• JennieC. says:

I’m reading through this as well right now. The ‘Know Your Sheep’ chapter was super convicting for me!

• Stacy says:

I’m reading Taking Care of the Me in Mommy by Lisa Whelchel. It’s a wonderful book that I highly recommend!

• kelli says:

That sounds really good, and something I need right now!
    I just finished reading an excellent fiction book called Safely Home by Randy Alcorn. It is about the persecution of Christians in China, and is highly eye-opening and convicting about the complacency of Christians in America. One of the best reads I’ve had in a long time.
    I am also reading Mark Driscoll’s Real Marriage, which has been great so far!

• Stephanie says:

I have that down loaded on my Kindle but haven’t started reading it yet! Maybe I should get going on it!

• Larissa says:

Safely Home is good, another great book by Randy Alcorn is In Light of Eternity. A book about Heaven that totally stirs up your longing for home.

• Jessica B. says:

My goals for the month included finishing “EntreLeadership” (amazing!), reading through “Freckles”, an older book loaned to me by a friend, and reading a tech book about learning CSS on my (new-to-me) Kindle.

“EntreLeadership” was fantastic! “Freckles” was a great historical novel and, if you like “Anne of Green Gables”, it would be worth checking out. (It’s free for Kindle/Kindle for PC.) And…I’m still working on the tech book. It’s a new language, but I. will. push. through. and. learn. it. ;D

• Danielle says:

I loved “Loving the Little Years.” As a mom of 4, ages 4 and under, I needed the kind of encouragement and exhortation found in this book. It’s a quick read, as it’s not very thick, but it’s worthwhile if you’ve got small children. She had some insights on parenting little girls with big emotions (which 3 of mine are) that I found helpful. I highly recommend it.

I’m getting ready to delve into “The Mission of Motherhood” by Sally Clarkson, and “The Ministry of Motherhood” will follow. I’ve had them for a while, so I’m looking forward to finally reading them.

• Justi Thomas says:

LovIng the Little Year is on my reading list for the year. right now I am reading Elyse Fitzpatrick’s “Give Them Grace dazzling your kids with the live of Jesus.”. It is outstanding, I can recommend it highly enough.

• Katy C says:

Respectable Sins by Jerry Bridges – a great book, definitely convicting – valuable for evaluating areas of our life that we let ourselves off the hook!

• Denise says:

Two other books on Christian parenting that I would highly recommend are Genesis of a Legacy by Ken Ham and Stephen Ham, and Parenting by God’s Promises:How to Raise Children in the Covenant of Grace by Joel R. Beeke.

Genesis of a Legacy is a very fun book which includes a lot of stories of the Ham family and presents the idea that parenting has eternal rewards. The only things that we can hope to take to heaven with us are our children. Godly children that walk in the steps of their godly parents, is a family legacy to be treasured from generation to generation.

Parenting by God’s Promises is a biblical manual of our mission as parents and where our focuses should be and how we should walk, as examples, before our children. This book is well written and very convicting. It emphasizes prayer, trust in God’s promises, the right way to discipline, gives and explanation of God’s covenants and how they apply to us, and exhorts parents to fulfill their duty to God and to their children.

• Donna says:

A Lion to Guard Us- from the library 😉
    We’re also listening to Rascal on audio book- boys love it!

• Stephanie says:

I’ve finished “Worth Fighting For” written by Patrick Swayze’s wife, Money Saving Mom’s Budget (:) ) and just finished The Hunger Games. I’ve FINISHED 2 books, that’s an accomplishemnt. Usually I have several going and never finish because I get bored and move on. 🙂

• Katie says:

Loving the Little Years is on my list to read soon! I’m so excited for it. I got it as a Christmas gift from my parents since my husband and I are expecting our first baby {a boy!} in July!

Other books on my list– The Read Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease {almost done!}, Shepherding a Childs Heart by Tripp and Disciplines of a Godly Family…..

• chelsea says:

I just finished reading Shepherding a few weeks ago. My oldest is four, and I wish I had read it years ago! What a great read.

• Still on track with my 90 day Bible; still reading Grace for The Good Girl; and re-reading Treasuring God in Our Traditions by Noel Piper as I prepare to blog about traditions.

• Kerry says:

I recently read Loving the Little Years and loved it! I especially appreciated the perspective she shared about our bodies. Right now I am reading “Why Pro-Life?: Caring for the Unborn and Their Mothers” by Randy Alcorn. It is a very interesting and good read thus far.

• Tiffany says:

I picked that book out as one of my Christmas presents. I’ll have to find the time to read it now. Thanks for sharing your thoughts 🙂

• This One is on my list! right now I’m reading “Give Them Grace” and hoping to finish soon!

• Beth Anne says:

I really enjoyed Loving the Little Years too. The short chapters are perfect for moms with little kids too – its so easy to go back and re-read a chapter. Grabby hands, grabby hearts was one of my favorite chapters; the example I give to my kids is modeled right before my eyes so many times during the day….I want it to be worth imitating!

• Gretchen says:

I had the same feelings when I read this book. Didn’t necessarily agree with it all, but it definitely brought a lot of conviction and food for thought!

Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy