MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

Homemade Go-Gurts

Update: The recipe for Homemade Yogurt in the Crockpot is here.

Guest post by Angie

My kids barely know what a Go-Gurt is, but since I’ve been making yogurt by the crockpot full, I thought making homemade yogurt tubes would be a fun way to eat it up as well as travel with.

First, I made a batch of yogurt in my crockpot (I add in 3/4 cup powdered milk to the initial milk to improve the consistency). Milk in my area is about $3/gallon and I usually use a half-gallon, so between the milk and the two other ingredients I used (3/4 cup powdered milk and ½ cup yogurt), I estimate it costs me about $2 for a half gallon of yogurt.

I divided it into four different bowls and added one of the following to each bowl:

* Strawberry jam (1/2 cup) and sugar (1/4 cup)
* Chocolate pudding mix (1 small box)
* Vanilla pudding mix (1 small box)
* Lime juice (1/4 cup) and sugar (1/4 cup)

(Two of the flavors)

Then, I put ½ cup of the flavored yogurt in a SNACK-size baggie and squeezed out the air.  I folded it over and secured it with tape.  After laying them down flat on a cookie sheet (shown is a mini bar pan), I put them in the freezer.

When they were frozen, I cut off the end with some scissors and my kids (and I) did a happy dance.

I made 22 “go-gurts” from the batch of yogurt and they came out to be about $.09/piece.

You can also make homemade popsicles with these ingredients, but in the baggies, they were basically spill-proof and easy to travel with—which is what I was hoping for!

Angie is a homeschooling mom of four, a lover of the Lord, coffee, books (including Quickbooks), and all things frugal and DIY.

111 Comments

• Lori Pottorff says:

Wow, I’d love to have the directions/recipe for the homemade yogurt!

• Melissa says:

What a great idea! Now I can have “go-gurts” available for my dairy allergic child using homemade coconut yogurt. Thanks for posting!

• Terri says:

Hi Melissa!
      I too have an eight year old allergic to dairy. He loves the soy yogurts but they are so expensive. Would you mind sharing your idea about the coconut yogurt and any other dairy free recipes? Thanks so much!
      Terri

• Cathy says:

if you go to the link in the post and go to the bottom she has an update about making it nondairy–says it works:)

• Melissa says:

I use a recipe from the Living Without magazine. It is on the website also. 4 cups coconut milk, 1 Tbsp sugar, 1/8th tsp yogurt starter (or 2-3 tbsp from store bought coconut yogurt), and 2 tsp unflavored gelatin. I found it to be thinner than store bought, but then I figure it is because there are no fillers or other junk in it. The only bad part about this recipe is that you have to have a yogurt maker. Someone else posted this recipe on the facebook feed and you only need a crockpot and a clean jar :http://bonzaiaphrodite.com/2010/08/homemade-vegan-yogurt-in-the-crock-pot/

• Anne says:

What Melissa said… but I would add that you thicken it w/o using gelatin or any other thickeners simply by refrigerating the finished yogurt. It should separate with lots of liquid at the bottom. Carefully pour out the liquid, then strain the remaining yogurt much like you would Greek yogurt. It becomes very much like the consistency of “real” yogurt, even close to Greek yogurt.

• Lindsay says:

Love this idea! Just wondering, could you share the recipe for making yogurt in your crock pot? I have never heard of that before! Thanks!

• Lisa says:

Love this idea! Could you share the recipe for the yogurt “base”? Thanks!

• Tats says:

Would love to try this, can you share the yogurt reciepe? Pretty please.

• Stephanie Kinser says:

Would you also share your recipe for the yogurt?? I have wanted to try my hand at homemade yogurt for a while now.

• Elizabeth Creighton says:

This looks great! Can you give us the recipe for making homemade yogurt. I haven’t had any luck with it and I like the crockpot idea. Thank you

• Lynda says:

Excellent. : ) Do you have a link to your homemade yogurt recipe? My hsuband eats it every day.

• Beth says:

I wonder if I could use lactose free milk to make these? They look great I like others would love to have the recipe for homemade yogurt. Thanks for this great idea.

• kelly says:

is there a link for angies directions for crockpot yogurt ? 🙂

• Jenny Miller says:

I love this! I’m confused on how to make the yogurt in the crock pot though. I’ve never done that. Is there a link for that recipe?

• Amanda says:

Love this! What is your recipe for yogurt in the crockpot?

• Ani says:

This looks great. I too, would love the recipe for crock pot yogurt! Thanks for a great idea!

• Kathy says:

Oh yummy!!
    Please share how you make yogurt in the crockpot!

• Liz G. says:

Brilliant! Mind sharing how you make the yogurt in the crock pot? Thanks!

• Jessica says:

Awesome! I was going to try making yogurt for the first time this week, but I’d never heard of doing it in the crockpot! That seems way easier!

• Vanessa says:

GREAT idea! Can you also give us the recipe for how you make the yogurt? I would love to give this a try!

• Miranda says:

Wow–how neat is that! Thanks so much for sharing. Would you share your crockpot recipe? That would be so simple. What flavors do you put in your yogurt? Thanks!! ~Miranda

• Mary says:

Yes, I would like the recipe for the yogurt, like why do you need yogurt as an ingredient when you’re making yogurt? How long do you keep it in the crock pot? I’m intrigued!!

• Megan says:

We buy a lot of yogurt here at our house, so this could be quite the money-saver for us. Can you post how to make the yogurt in the crockpot? Is there any way to make it vanilla without using pudding mix? (vanilla flavoring and sugar? maybe?) Thanks!

• Kris says:

This sounds like a fun project. Please provide the recipe/directions for the crockpot yogurt.

• Shannon says:

So what is the exact recipe you use to make the yogurt in the crockpot? This sounds so yummy, thanks!

• Robin says:

love this idea. And am adding my voice to the many others…we really want to see angie’s crock pot yoghurt recipe! 🙂 Please? with cherries on top? 🙂

• Debi B says:

My kids love Go-gurts, but they’re pricy – especially the ‘healthy’ kind! So, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this post! Great idea! Thanks for sharing! 🙂

• stephanie kandray says:

id love the recipe/steps for making yogurt in the crockpot!

• Nikki says:

where is the yogurt recipe though?!? I want to try making my own now, but I’ve never made yogurt even…

• Heather says:

How in the world do you make yogurt in a crockpot, PLEASE tell me. After I learn that I’ll be trying these “go-gurts”

• Beth says:

I just clicked on the underlined part that said “batch of yogurt in my crockpot” in her second paragraph and it took me to the recipe and tips, etc.

• Diana says:

I have had success and failure with crock pot yogurt recipes… whats your recipe?

• Jennifer says:

Awesome! Thanks!

• Trista says:

I think I’m with everyone else here….Can you please the crock-pot yogurt recipe? Pretty, pretty please…with a cherry on top?!

• Stacy says:

FANTASTIC! How do you make th yogurt. I need step by steps cause I have to try it. What a great idea.

• Chris says:

I haven’t tried this yet, but for those of you looking for the recipe, I googled “Crockpot Yogurt” and came up with a bazillion (yes, that’s a technical term 🙂 results! They all looked pretty easy and only varied slightly in their approach.

• Meredith says:

I’ve seen the Gogurt commercials that suggest freezing the product before placing it in a lunch bag – but I’ve always wondered what that does to the live active cultures in it? I suppose the calcium content wouldn’t change, but if I’m only looking for a calcium boost we just do milk – if we’re doing yogurt it’s because we’re looking for those live cultures… does anyone know anything more about this?

• Heather says:

I have heard that the live active cultures in yogurt are no longer “live” after you freeze yogurt.

• Carrie P. says:

Meredith,

In regards to the live cultures, freezing does kill them:o( bummer., So yogurt is best in that aspect when you don’t freeze it. I don’t like to freeze it because of that, but on the rare occasion we buy go-gurts, my kids like them frozen. They mostly just eat yogurt cold from the fridge. I don’t want them liking it only frozen because I want them to get those live cultures, too. I think that this recipe is a great alternative, though-healthy and as natural as it can be-especially instead of a “popsicle”, which we don’t ever have here from the store, at least. I think that this would be a good way to get a protein filled dessert in the kids, though.

• Michelle says:

Well, freexing definitely doesn’t kill all of the live cultures. I freeze yogurt bought in large tubs in smaller portions so that I can later use as my starter yogurt for the my homemade yogurt. I don’t think the yogurt would set if the cultures were all dead!

• Heather says:

Don’t forget the fun factor, either. I don’t want my kids to feel like they never get what the other kids are having.

• Lauralli says:

You need to research the “live active culture” thing. It is my understanding that heat is what will kill them, not freezing. When temperature is brought back up (like in your gut where you want them), they become active again. I’ve been making smoothies with my homemade yogurt for about 6 months and freezing any leftovers into cups that the kids enjoy as a snack—almost like ice cream!

• Angela says:

This is what I thought too – that freezing puts them in a dormant state and they become “live” again upon reheating.

• Sarah says:

Lauralli is right- freezing doesn’t kill them. Many people buy a big tub of plain yogurt and freeze in ice cube trays to use as their starter for the next batch. If you killed them, you wouldn’t have anything to feed off the lactose in the milk and wouldn’t end up making yogurt.

• Amy says:

From what I understand freezing does NOT destroy live active cultures. If you purchase a yogurt starter culture it has been freeze dried.

Heat does kill it though. So when you see baking/cooking recipes that use yogurt remember that the cultres become useless.

• Samantha D says:

Great idea! I had seen the “go go squeeze applesauce” and was wondering about how to make those at home. This is a great way!

• Debbie Fox says:

I’d love to have her crockpot yogurt recipe….

• Elizabeth says:

Great idea! I’ve also seen homemade go-gurts made using a food saver vac. Even buying big giant tubs of vanilla yogurt and dividing it up is cheaper than the individual cups or commercially prepared go-gurts.

• Rebecca says:

This sounds like a great idea! I’ve been giving frozen Go-Gurts to my daughter as a semi-healthy dessert recently! Could you post the recipe for making the actual yogurt in the crockpot? Thanks!

• Audrey says:

Awesome! I was just thinking of ways we could cut down our yogurt budget. 4 people eating it once a day gets expensive!

• alena says:

can we get the recipe to make the yogurt? She has the ingredients listed and does say in a crockpot but how long and at what temp in the crockpot?

• I have some popsicle molds that push up like a go-gurt would, but the snack bag idea is perfect for the times when I have more yogurt or smoothies than will fit in my molds. Thanks!

• Jamie says:

I got some great silicone molds on amazon that we use for frozen go-gurt type treats which are great for lunches. I never even thought to use snack baggies what a great idea!

• Angie D says:

Crystal just included the link, but here it is as well: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/you-can-make-yogurt-in-your-crockpot.html. (after reading comments and experimenting a bit, I do add 3/4 c pwd milk–it seems to make it set up better–I have also used 1/2 and 1/2, but pwd milk is the cheapest)

I didn’t have much luck with the fresh fruit b/c it seems to thin the yogurt too much when blended. If I happen to have a batch that flops (too runny), then I use it in smoothies, pancakes, thin for buttermilk, sour cream in some recipies, or freeze in batches for when the need arises.

I also freeze the “starter” yogurt in ice cube trays. I take out 4 cubes (1/2 cup) and let it thaw to use as my starter.

Don’t be discouraged if it doesn’t work right away. I wasn’t impressed with my first batch, but with all the other uses for it + 4 hungry kids, it doesn’t go to waste! I still have some batches that are runnier, but most of the time, they rock!

• Stephanie says:

Did you find a trick to make it so that it is not runny? That was why I stopped making it at home!

• Angie D says:

I think it depends on the cooking time as well as the creaminess of the milk. If I undercook, it is runny. One time, I didn’t get the crockpot shut off in time and it was much firmer (but a little lumpy). I add powdered milk or 1/2 and 1/2 and usually get good results. You also have to put it in the fridge the next day before it sets up.

• I tried this with food saver bags, but it sounds so much easier with snack sized baggies. Thanks!

I made applesauce tubes this way too. That was a big hit with DS.

• Johnlyn says:

Awesome idea – thanks for sharing!

• Cathy says:

the article has a live link for the directions to making yogurt in the crockpot

• Thanks so much for sharing…a simple, yet brilliant, idea!

• Kelly says:

I see where this is very economical, but is this yogurt healthy? Are there enough live active cultures present to make this yogurt comparable to what is available commercially?

• alicia says:

Making the yogurt yourself is healthier. More cultures aren’t added to regular store bought yogurt, just more junk.

• Lauralli says:

Kelly—This is much healthier than store bought yogurt! You do need to start out with yogurt or yogurt starter as a base, then the “live active cultures” multiply in your milk to “make yogurt”. I only use 1/2 gallon of milk, one 6 oz. container of plain yogurt, 1 tsp. kosher salt, 1 tsp. vanilla and 2 Tbsp. sugar and I get 11 6-8 oz. containers of yogurt. You can then add any flavors or fruit you like. Try reading the label on the store bought yogurts to see what all they add! Your tummy will thank you!

• Kelly says:

Awesome! I didn’t know how rapidly the cultures multiplied so wasn’t sure how many you’d get with such a small starter and such a large amount of final product.

So… the recipe says NOT to use ultra-pasteurized milk, which all organic milk in my area is ultra-pasteurized. Is there a way to make this with organic milk? Obviously, it won’t be as cost-effective, but I try to feed my kids organic dairy and I don’t want to waste 1/2 gallon of milk (at nearly $4!) if it won’t work.

• Suzy says:

I know this is probably much cheaper than store bought go-gurts, but I would not say it is healthier. These still have lots of sugar from both the pudding mix or jam and the added sugar. Not only that, but the pudding mix has artificial coloring and flavoring. And powdered milk has oxidized cholesterol which is not healthy either.

I don’t want to be a downer but I don’t think this recipe is healthier.

• Nina says:

Hey, that is why you go to the health food store and pick up pudding mix and jams from them. All natural and often organic ingridients and still great addition to homemade treats!

• Nicole says:

Wow! This is brilliant. I can’t wait to try this! I’m constantly amazed and thankful for all the creative ways we can make things at home cheaper and better for you than commercial food!

• Um….this is GENUIS! One of my must make things for November is yogurt in my crockpot. Thanks so much for sharing this.

• nicole says:

they have reusable go gurt like holders on amazon…
    I do like the idea of the disposable ones too..so you can make more than 4 at a time…but these would be good for lunch boxes too.

Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy