MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

10 Goals for this Week (& an update on last week’s goals)

Someone commented on the goals post last week lamenting the fact that she wasn’t able to get many of her goals accomplished since she had a toddler and a newborn. You know what? I wouldn’t be doing much of any of this if I had a toddler and a newborn, either! In fact, it’s hard for me to even remember what those days were like now that my children all sleep consistently through the night, can dress themselves, help with the chores, and are pretty independent.

I’m sharing my goals as a way to keep myself accountable and to (hopefully!) inspire you to live life on purpose, instead of just letting the hours and days slip by without intention. However, please do not feel like you need to be accomplishing similar things to what I have on my list.

I’m in a relatively easy season of life since my children are 6, 4, and 2 (compared to having them be 4, 1, and newborn, it’s definitely much, much easier!), so I can challenge myself to do more than I have at other seasons because I’m sleeping at least 6 or 7-hour stretches every single night (this makes a world of difference!) and my children are now at the age where they can help out and play independently instead of needing me to do every single little thing for them each day like they did when they were younger.

If you are the mom of very young children who depend upon you for just about everything, make sure and read my post of encouragement to you here. If you accomplish nothing more than keeping everyone fed and diapered and you spend quality time enjoying your children, you are accomplishing a lot! Set microscopic goals and don’t be discouraged if even those don’t get done. Really and truly, it will get easier.

Don’t compare yourself to other moms and feel inadequate if you’re not doing as much as them. Give yourself grace, smile, make your own health a priority, and just love on your babies while they are little! You’ll never regret making them a much higher priority than a clean house or a checked-off to-do list.

Now on to the goals. Here’s what I accomplished off of last week’s list:

Mothering Goals

1. Finish reading Homer Price aloud to the children. {I ended up doing some other reading to them for our school weekly theme and didn’t get to Homer Price. This week, hopefully? :)}

2. Take children on a Nature Walk.

Personal Goals

3. Run 12.5 miles (total).

4. Finish reading Good to Great and Raising a Soul Surfer. {Still working on finishing up Quitter — I’m enjoying it so much that I’m just slowly reading it to try and soak everything up!}

Home Management Goals

5. Vacuum underneath beds.

6. Make homemade soap. {Still haven’t tried the Homemade Scrubbing Bubbles — must do that this next week!}

7. Wash, dry, fold, & put away one load of laundry every day. {Well, I didn’t quite manage to do this, but I did a pretty good job of staying on top of the laundry this week, so that’s progress, right? :)}

Business Goals

8. Re-shoot videos and send to publicist. {Hopefully I’ll get to this this week, time got away from me last week!}

9. Go through my formatted and edited manuscript from the publisher to check for errors in format or content.

Ministry Goals

10. Meet with a friend who asked for counsel.

And here’s this week’s list:

Mothering Goals

1. Finish reading Homer Price aloud to the children.

2. Continue teaching children table chores.

Personal Goals

3. Run 13 miles (total).

4. Finish reading All The Money in the World (advance copy that I was asked to write an endorsement blurb for), Quitter, and Friendship for Grownups.

Home Management Goals

5. Keep the master bathroom clean. (This seems to be the one area in the house that has been sorely neglected recently. I want to implement the ideas from Totally Together to see if I can keep it looking great with just 3-5 minutes of maintenance every day.)

6. Make Homemade Scrubbing Bubbles (third time’s a charm, eh?)

7. Wash, dry, fold, & put away one load of laundry every day.

Business Goals

8. Re-shoot videos and send to publicist.

9. Start working on my presentation for an upcoming speaking engagement.

Ministry Goals

10. Meet an acquaintance who asked for counsel regarding her business.

How did you do on last week’s goals? What are your goals for this week? If you feel comfortable doing so, I’d love to have you share your progress on last week’s goals and your goals for this coming week in the comments. Let’s cheer each other on to live purposeful and productive lives!

You can download a free customizable weekly goal-planning sheet here.

photo credit

113 Comments

• Ann says:

Well, after last week, my first goal is to make fewer goals. I’m going to stick with 5 instead of 10:

Personal: Exercise at least 3 times.
    Work: have my work completed and documented within 48 hours.
    Household: Effective meal planning for the week
    Volunteer: Catch up on my cub scout responsibilities.
    Family: hold a family meeting.

• Jennifer says:

Thank you for the reminder about having a toddler and newborn. You post things like this from time to time, and I need the reminder EVERY time. Why, oh why do I keep comparing myself to moms who have older kids? It’s not the same. And I don’t want to spend their baby years wishing they were older so we could do more. I want to soak up this special time with them!

• Mary Jo says:

I have really been enjoying your weekly goal posts. It’s just encouraging to me to read what others have been accomplishing!

Here’s my list of the week (excluding marriage goals):

1) Listen to and summarize at least 5 lectures for my current college course 2) Work out at least three days.
    3) Take time to plan preschool activities for Katie (my 2 1/2 year old)
    4) Spent 20 minutes/day reading pictures books with Katie
    5) Organize/de-junk our toys
    6) Teach Katie to tidy-up her toys for 5 minutes before bedtime
    7) Work 10 hours for my part time, at home job
    8) Get my blog facebook page up and running
    9) Evangelize to at least one person
    10) Make a plan for a family from church to come to our home this month

• Here are my goals: http://thedollarholleringhomemaker.blogspot.com/2011/08/weekly-goals.html

I agree there are times when I can accomplish a ton and times where I am lucky that I can even get dressed in the AM. We can only do our best in whatever season of life we are experiencing.

• Tiffany says:

Thank you so much for the encouragment for moms with toddlers and newborns. Today was my first day home alone with my 22 month old and newborn and already I was trying to do too much. Thanks again, I really needed to read this today.

• Koree says:

My list looks different from all y’alls:

Mothering/Marriage catergories are non-existent.

Important things to do: Prep for Thursday night’s class
    Work on painting (still trying to get going)
    Unload/Reload Dishes
    Fold 2 loads of laundry/Wash work clothes
    Grocery Shop by Wednesday
    Work on other coursework
    Take recycling

• Dawn says:

I remember awhile ago on one of your Financial Updates there was a comment made that although this women was completely overwhelmed with setting financial goals, that your post had encouraged her to do her dishes. I try to do one load of laundry every day and at least one sink full of dishes. Some days I get floors scrubbed and some day my house looks like a tornado hit, but keeping up on the dishes and laundry feels manageable and brings a little peace to our home and schedule.

• Brynn says:

I was just wondering where you all post your goals? I have mine written on a small wipeboard that I keep in my living area. I need to see them so I am reminded, but I would like to hear other ideas.
    Thanks

• Betsy says:

i have a checklist app on my phone. i love how it crosses stuff off when you complete it, but i don’t have to delete completed items if i don’t want. i like to see i completed some things. for items that i need to do everyday, i uncheck those on the next day until they are done again.

• Jami says:

Thank you so much for your encouraging words!! I needed this reminder tonight. I am a stay at home mom to a 3 year old and 17 month old. My husband also works out of town so we only see him about 1 week out of the month. This has been quite an adjustment for our entire family. I love to have lists and feel organized but sometimes I can’t get everything done especially when I am the only one tending to the children. I need to remember that this is OK! A hard thing to remember but just need to keep leaning on the Lord’s strength.

• MomofTwoPreciousGirls says:

I know this is a public forum and you don’t go into your Marriage goals much, but I feel like that is the area with the least amount of focus for me an I don’t know how to change that…if it was up to DH he would concentrate on the bedroom! I want to focus more on our relationship and our family…any help would be appreciated.

• Hope says:

One of my marriage goals last week was to do one selfless act for my husband and this week I have write him a note of encouragement and appreciation on my list.

• Hope says:

I made 18 goals last week and completed 10! I was absolutely overjoyed that I finished that many! I have a 3.5 year old and a 3 month old. We spend a lot of time nursing but I am proud to say that we have successfully started homeschooling! I have 20 things on my list this week and am done with one item already, as well as halfway done with three others! As you can tell by all the exclamation points I’m pretty happy with my progress the past few weeks!!

• Betsy says:

I love this! it definitly helps motivate me and makes me feel go about what i am doing. I’ve been reading the book “Heidi” that i got in the dollar section at Target to my 5 yr old. i told her if we read a chapter a day we will be done in 18 days. the chapters are pretty short so some days i read a few. we only have 5 chapters to go and she seems pretty interested in the story. i plan to watch the shirley temple version of the movie after we finish. i also have a goal of a load of laundry a day.

• Joy says:

Thank you Crystal for another great idea. I think that I am going to begin adding “My Goals for the Week” to my blog as well. I have a one year old at home, and sometimes get so discouraged with not getting anything done in the worlds eyes, forgetting that taking time to read and play with my son is one of my most important responsibilities in this stage in life, and extremely honorable, sometimes it is so hard to remember that though.
    Blessings, Joy

• Whew! Busy week this last week – but I used my to-do list to help me better focus on what really needed to get done! Thanks so much for this idea! Here’s my short-list for this next week:

• Ingrid says:

I am curious about your running.
    I am also a runner .

How much do you run in one setting?

Do you have a goal to do a 5k 10k or half marathon?

• Crystal says:

I’m usually doing 1.5 to 3.1 miles per day (taking Sundays off). My current goal is to increase my mileage and decrease my time in order to build up towards running a 10K.

(By the way, I’m NOT a runner–up until this past year, I couldn’t run more than a 1/2 mile without stopping and thinking I might die. So it’s exciting for me to see my endurance and stamina slowly increasing!)

Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy