MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

Borders: All stores closing, everything up to 40% off

All Borders, Borders Express and Waldenbooks stores are closing. Everything in-store is up to 40% off their original pricing. All sales are final.

Thanks, The Clever Clipper!

22 Comments

• Our Local Borders here in NJ closed last year in December here is the link to show what sells there:

• Julie says:

This still makes me sad. Where I live, Borders was the only bookstore in the state. No B & N and no locally owned other than a small handful of Christian bookstores and a few overpriced bookstores on the opposite site of the state in the tourist towns.

• Linse says:

Same here, it was great for getting college textbooks cause our campus bookstore is WAY overpriced. 🙁

• flutemom says:

check with amazon (and if you register with your .edu email address you can sign up for the first year free of amazon prime- free 2 day shipping on all purchases, whether or not they’re specifically for education). also check cheapesttextbooks.com or booksprice.com. there are also places where you can rent textbooks (chegg.com and another one i can’t remember right now. do a google search for ‘rent college textbooks’. there are also sites to sell back your used books and recoup some of your costs. amazon has a buyback program, but so do other places.

• Shannon says:

Is Borders’ website closing too? I can’t seem to find the answer anywhere.

• Sarah says:

I’ll probably take a look at my local borders, but for a lot of the books I’ve been looking to get it might still be cheaper to buy it off Amazon…all of the books on my wishlist at Amazon are 30-50% off list price (and no sales tax…).

• Veronica says:

Our stores closed months ago. Near the end our store went 50-60% off, so you may want to wait and see if they don’t clear everything out if it gets marked down again.

• Mariah says:

I wonder if it’ll go down into a lower clearance price…I think I’ll hold out and see.

• Laura says:

When the borders in our local mall closed I got a ton of books for dirt cheap! You may not get the most popular our newest releases since those go pretty fast, but stop and browse…you may find less know books our books that would make good gifts for cheap!

• Emily says:

Almost everything was 10% off with a few sections at 20% off. I am going to wait for prices to drop and then see if I can stock up on children’s books for my daughter. It was packed when I went today though, probably 50+ people in line to check out.

• Laura says:

Went today with DD. She is a history major and we found some real cool books on clearance, they were red stickered. So there was an additional 10% off of those. Plus magazines 40% off, may have to go back to get more of those. Place was packed. Is sad though, cause it was the only bookstore in town, B&N went out a few years ago.

• alicia says:

I have been on hold w/ customer service fo 23 minutes now.. I just got my perks membersip a month ago and I want my money back since they are closing…

• Teresa M. says:

This IS sad. Every year near Christmas I would buy books as gifts. I also would get Disney travel books here before our vacations. They had great clearance prices on books, too. They will be missed.

• Jennefer says:

When our Waldonbooks went out a few years ago, some things went to 75-80% off near the end. About a week into it, the accessory type things (bookmarks, stuff by the register, even some toys) were already 75% off. I was told that they are planning to liquidate as fast as possible, so I am going to call every day and see what the markdowns are. I have a son who devours books. I got him 5 big bags of books when Waldens went out for around $80. He read them all in a few weeks.

Oh and if you have any gift cards or rewards, you need to use them as quickly as possible. Some stores have already stopped taking them.

• Anna says:

This makes me so sad :(. I loved Borders!

• Anna says:

The Borders closest to us (there are three more a bit farther that I’ll probably look at for sales) near the end had everything 80% off, and there was still a good amount of stuff there although nothing I was interested in. They also were selling the furniture for extremely cheap near the end, so that’s something to check out too. I was seriously considering buying a few of the tables they had there to hold books because the prices were really so good.

• Jessica says:

A gentle reminder to all – if you happen to find a great deal at the store, remember that the salesperson assisting you will soon be out of work . . . so don’t express your thoughts on how well you made out. 🙂

May God bless the nearly 11,000 men and women who were employed by Borders.

• Marie says:

Excellent point, Jessica. Very sad for the employees.

• Darlene says:

If your children participated in the Double Dog Dare summer reading program, Borders will not honor it now for the free book.

Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy