MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

Do-It-Yourself: Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites

Two Peas and Their Pod posted a recipe for making your own Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites. These look more doable and less intimidating than pretzels to me and I’m anxious to try them!

Do you have a fun and frugal DIY idea to share? I’d love to hear about it! Read the submission guidelines and submit it here.

29 Comments

• April Thomas says:

The link is not working?

• John Gilmore says:

these look delicious! I just got done putting a batch of regular soft pretzels in the oven. Will have to try this recipe next time.

• Amanda says:

The link doesn’t seem to work. 🙁

• Don’t be afraid of pretzels! Pretzels are SUPER easy! My kids love to make them, and we’ve used them for school projects (like letter of the week – making pretzels in the capital and lowercase shape of that letter). I got this recipe from a kids’ activity book:

2 pkgs dry yeast
    1.5 c warm water
    2 T sugar
    1 t salt
    1 c whole wheat flour
    3 c unbleached flour
    1 beaten egg

1. Preheat oven to 425* F
    2. In a large bowl, mix the yeast and water together and let stand for 5 minutes.
    3. Add sugar and mix.
    4. Add salt and both flours and mix well.
    5. Sprinkle flour on the table or on a cutting board. Place the dough on the floured surface and knead for five minutes.
    6. Break off pieces of dough and roll them into coils for twisting into pretzels.
    7. Place on ungreased cookie sheet spaced 2 inches apart
    8. Brush the dough with the beaten egg and sprinkle with salt.
    9. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, until golden brown.

My changes – I mixed the sugar in right away with the warm water and yeast – feeds the yeast and makes them happy =) Instead of kneading on the table or a cutting board with all that extra gluten flying around in my house, I did this whole mess in the kitchenaid mixer and let the mixer do the kneading for us. When it was done, we just took the bowl to the table, gave the kids (with freshly washed hands) a good lump of dough, and started making pretzels =) I’m never good about the 2″ spacing, but they didn’t grow that much. They did definitely get bigger, though, so don’t have them touching or anything. 13 minutes for us, and I loosened them from their pan as soon as they came out of the oven. I put them away a bit too early and they got a bit soggy, so the next batch we make will be allowed to cool on a cooling rack for a LONG time before going into the pretzel jar (a recycled store bought massive jar-o-pretzels). But this was SUPER easy, the kids had a blast, the clean up was SO easy, and my minions report that they taste really good. There you go =)

• shar says:

I keep coming up with database error every time I try to get the recipe.

• crystal says:

It worked for me. Looks so yummy cant wait to make the cinnamon and sugar ones. Yummy!

• AshleyLanea says:

Oh, my goodness…these look fantastic! I can’t wait to try the receipe…yum! Thanks for sharing. 🙂

• Maria says:

Thank you for featuring my pretzels! They are easy to make and so fun to eat! Enjoy!

The link works for me, but if you are having trouble, here it is:

Thanks!

• Kimberly says:

Awesome!
    Thanks so much!

• Alicia says:

I was SUPER excited when I read this and realized I actually had ALL the ingredients to do this at home! (That never happens!) I ambitiously began to make them with my 2 and a half year old, while my 4 month old entertained herself off and on. To my dismay, they came out tasting like baking soda! Blech. I’d advise going with less baking soda than it calls for, or maybe skip that step and see what happens. Anyone else have this problem?

• crissy fail says:

soft pretzels are one of my favorite snacks! yummy! Two Peas and Their Pod have so many good recipes, something delicious for every different craving, but definitely loving the pretzel bites!

• Ana says:

Thank you so much for posting this recipe! I tried it tonight making some salty and some sweet. Delicious!

• lori says:

I made this recipe for new years eve. They’re very tasty but alas mine did NOT look quite so beautiful. More like pretzel blobs.

• Chelsea says:

I don’t own a stand up mixer. I do own a bread machine with a dough cycle, and a hand held mixer with a dough hook attachment. Anyone know if either of these options would work? Or I could use knead by hand. Suggestions?

• Lee says:

I buy dry active yeast in a large container…does anyone know the conversion of how much I should use instead of 1 package of yeast?

• SusieQ says:

I can’t wait to try these little pretzel bites! I worked at a pretzel shop for three years in high school, and I can attest that the baking soda/water is an important step. The pretzels never turned out without the baking soda. However, at the pretzel shop where I worked, instead of boiling them in water/baking soda, we quickly dipped them in a pan of cold water/baking soda, just to get lightly coated. If you do this method though, I would definitely use less baking soda. I LOVE this website 🙂

• Teresa says:

This looks like an awesome thing to have on hand in the freezer, equivilant to the Pretzel Time ones they charge an arm and a leg for in the freezer aisle. What do you guy’s think, should I freeze after boiling and seasoning them (then bake when I want to serve), or freeze after baking them is completed?

• meggan says:

i thought these were pretty heavy on the baking soda as well. I would half it next time. I like the tang, but it was pretty strong. I skipped the egg wash on half. Those didn’t get shiny, but we dipped them in butter than cinnamon sugar after baking like Auntie Anne’s. Not the same texture, but still delicious. Everyone was very happy with them. I never had time to make the cheese sauce, though I hope to make some of the peppery kind Bobby Flay did, rather than plain cheese! Thanks for the idea Crystal.

• h. rae says:

Those look absolutely delicious! I discovered a craving I didn’t know I had until now!

• Laurie says:

My husband is fanatical about his pretzels so when I saw this today I had to try it. Since I still had to get dinner going after work I loaded everything into my bread maker for mixing and rising. These came out fabulous! Super easy, tasty and just what we needed on a cold night. Thanks for posting!!

Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy