MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

Do-It-Yourself: Homemade Unprocessed Powdered Sugar

Now this is brilliant! Laura over at Heavenly Homemakers shares how to make your own homemade unprocessed powdered sugar using sucanat and a blender.

Do you have a fun and frugal DIY idea to share? I’d love to hear about it! Read the submission guidelines and submit it here.

16 Comments

1. Lana says:

The link goes to your yummy Brown Sugar Biscuit twists!

2. Julie says:

The link is wrong. Goes to a recipe for brown sugar biscuits not making powdered sugar.

3. Jenny says:

Ooops wrong link, but those are sure looking yummy.

4. karen says:

the link goes to a dif recipe, not to DIY powdered “sugar”

5. Megan says:

Link is fixed! Great idea if you’re a more natural eater and prefer less refined food. Sucanat is pricey though (and we order it through a discount on amazon with as many discounts as we can get) so it’s not necessarily a frugal option =)

• Crystal says:

I get mine through a Bulk Foods Store and it’s actually fairly inexpensive. Not as cheap as regular sugar, but definitely less expensive than buying it at the health food store.

I’ve found that if I pay more for sweeteners, I use them more sparingly — which can be a good thing! 🙂

6. Lacey says:

“Real” powdered sugar has corn starch in it, too…not just ground sugar. This should be taken into consideration for use in recipes, as the corn starch makes a big difference in a lot of foods!

• Lori F. says:

@Lacey,
      Lacey, I was thinking the same thing. The cornstarch is actually needed in some recipes, though not in others. I make a sugar cookie recipe that uses powdered sugar instead of granulated sugar and the cornstarch is needed to keep the dough tender and workable.

• JaspurrandDude says:

The organic powdered sugar I buy has organic tapioca starch instead of cornstarch.

7. Thanks, Crystal, for sharing my link!!

8. Reesa says:

We are going through Laura’s snack recipes right now and they are so good. I am constantly substituting ground wheat and sucanat in “regular” recipes with very poor results. Finding her site was a huge blessing for us because my husband is now eating the “wheat” foods too. They actually taste good. He has request a couple be made for Christmas treats for his co-workers!

9. Angela says:

I think this is brilliant as well. And I spend much less on sugar I think by buying the healthier sweeteners and then just eating much less of it.

10. Ophelia says:

I’m going to try this with coconut sugar.

Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy