MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

Ask the Readers: Where do you find good deals on maternity clothes?

I’m 14 1/2 weeks pregnant with our first & now that things are starting to not fit anymore, I have been trying to do some maternity clothes shopping. But wow! I didn’t realize clothing yourself while pregnant was so expensive! Just curious to know if you had any ideas or thoughts on places to go for good deals on maternity clothes. -Eden

Maternity clothes can definitely be very pricey, but there’s no need to spend exorbitant amounts on a whole new wardrobe to clothe you while pregnant. Instead, take it as an opportunity to get creative and think outside the box. Here are some things which have allowed me to spend very little on maternity clothes over the course of my last three pregnancies:

Re-purpose Items You Already Have

I’m pretty petite, so the 30 pounds I always gain with each pregnancy mean I go up at least two to three sizes in clothing by the end of my pregnancy! Needless to say, I’m not one of those women who can wear her regular jeans the entire pregnancy (I wish!).

However, I’ve found that some things in my wardrobe can still be worn until at least six months. Sweaters, high-waisted blouses and items which can be layered work especially well for this. So start with what you already have in your closet and see if there are some items which can be re-purposed to work as maternity clothes — at least for a little while.

Borrow From Friends

So many friends have been kind to let me borrow their maternity clothes from them over my last few pregnancies. They’ve always offered to share and I’ve been more-than-happy to take them up on their offer. And I’ve been happy to return the favor to others now that I’ve built up my own “collection” of maternity clothes.

Buy Used

Before going out and buying anything new, definitely check out the possibilities available for used clothing. Craigslist, Freecycle, garage sales, eBay, consignment stores and many other sites online carry used maternity clothes — often at a fraction of the price of buying new.

Shop the Clearance Racks

Motherhood Maternity, Target and Old Navy usually have some pretty good clearance racks in the maternity section. If you keep your eye on them when you’re out shopping, you’ll likely be able to find some good deals. And if you can pair the clearance deal with a coupon (which are often released for Target and Old Navy) you might find a killer deal! In addition, you can occasionally find some great deals online at Kohl’s when they have $0.99 shipping and a coupon code.

Choose Quality Over Quantity

Since I’m a minimalist, I always find it easiest to just have a few classic pieces which mix and match. A few pair of jeans or capris (depending upon the season, a pair of really comfy yoga pants, a couple of skirts, a few casual shirts and a few dressy shirts. I go for quality over quantity and just wear the items over and over and over again during those four months or so when I’m in maternity clothes full-time.

I’ve found it’s best to buy shirts which have ties in the back as these can be adjusted with your growing belly. I like elastic-banded pants, jeans and skirts which go under the belly (like these) as I can wear them my entire last half of the pregnancy and then for a few weeks postpartum, too. Making sure you buy items which can be worn more than a few weeks saves a lot of time and effort.

What are your ideas and suggestions for saving money on maternity clothes? Tell us in the comments.

152 Comments

• Tammy says:

I just bought my daughter a bunch of stuff from Burlington Coat factory! They are far more reasonable than most places and if you catch a sale even better! As far as garage sales go we love to go to the ones in the upscale neighborhoods to pick up maternity wardrobe pieces at a steal!

• Amy says:

Shop early in your pregnancy for end-of-season items – they’ll fit by the time you need them! For example, if you find out you’re pregnant in the fall, shop the clearance rack for summer items; you’ll need them come May and June.

Also, if you get gift cards for maternity clothing at your showers, save it for when you have a “I CAN’T STAND THESE CLOTHES ANYMORE!” moment. Being able to buy one extra piece or two in your last trimester without feeling guilty about spending the money may just be the pick-me-up you need.

• Susan says:

While I was working and pregnant I had to find dress clothes. My workplace requires dress pants, but aren’t super strict, so I was able to pass off a pair of dark brown and black lounge pants as dress pants for most of the last few months of my pregnancy. No one knew that they were lounge pants and I was so comfortable! And I paid a whopping $10 a piece on them.

• Michelle K says:

I bought a collection of maternity tank tops from Old Navy and paired them with some cardigan sweaters to wear at work. It was so helpful and allowed my wardrobe to vary a bit. They don’t go to waste post partum as I still wear them often (you can’t tell they are “maternity” when they are being layered).

• Homestead says:

Everyone has such great suggestions!!!

My babies are all early summer babies…. but this is what worked for me.

One great pair of jeans (Old Navy with the low-waist, size tall)
    One great pair of black capris (dress up for work or down for play)
    One great pair of black yoga pants (I went for Land’s End clearance… I wore this the entire pregnancy and during that dreaded “4th trimester” until I was back into regular clothes….)
    Belly band. I used this to wear all of my usual work skirts (I have 4) that have elastic in the waist.
    One really great black maternity jacket with a zipper front (buttons bulge… mine was from Motherhood Maternity and was a gift with my first pregnancy….. it goes with everything and I can proudly report it is currently gestating the EIGHTH pregnancy…. quality in some pieces is just WORTH it…. and it is everyone’s favorite maternity piece.)
    One really great maternity top…. mine was a hand-me-down red button-up in a suede material…. one thing that is a go-to outfit you know will look good.
    A couple of good maternity t-shirts. Mine were mostly black and a few in stretchy fabric and prints….. all purchased on the cheap in a lot from ebay.
    Really good shoes. Splurge on the really nice supportive running shoes…. you don’t want a twisted ankle or falling arches during pregnancy… not super stylish but a lifesaver.
    And, finally, a really great zip-front hooded sweatshirt…. I like the big baggy Carhardt ones. They get a zero for style but it fits a bulgy belly and it is perfect for nursing a baby while covering that pesky roll of chub on the side.

• Erin says:

I purchased the vast majority of my maternity clothes at Old Navy and a few pieces at Motherhood Maternity. By far, I prefer the Old Navy stuff the best, and it has held up the best. I always got clothing on sale, but because I was working full time and all my clothes were fitted and my pregnancy was a surprise, I couldn’t shop around for clearance deals. However, here are a few strategies that will help you get the most bang for your buck:

1. I was always freezing at work, so I had a ton of cardigans and button-up sweaters that I wore throughout my pregnancy. I just bought several maternity camisoles, tanks, and tees that could be dressed up or down and wore my regular sweaters unbuttoned over them. At home (where the AC was turned off) and in the summer heat, I wore the tanks and tees alone. A friend didn’t have many cardigans, so she wore her husband’s unbuttoned dress shirts over tees and tanks. It can be cute if you roll up the sleeves and pair them with khakis.
    2. I invested in several pairs of structured pants (jeans, khakis, capris, etc.) as well as a denim skirt because I gained weight in my thighs and my regular pants didn’t fit even with button extenders after the first couple months. If you have an office job, comfy pants are a must. The ones with the button and elastic extenders took me all the way through my pregnancy, so I didn’t have to reinvest in new pants every trimester.
    3. I didn’t really need to purchase any “play clothes,” loungewear, or workout gear because my regular (Old Navy) yoga pants took me through my pregnancy, as did my stretchy work-out shorts. If we went out in the evening, I’d either wear capris or my denim skirt since my fitted shorts no longer fit. I’ve even been known to wear my yogas to work paired with a long shirt or sweater.
    4. Unless you get a super-awesome deal, buy individual pieces as you need them. I panicked when nothing fit and bought a week’s worth of clothes at Motherhood Maternity. Invariably, those are the clothes I like the least and don’t fit quite as well as the Old Navy clothing. On the other hand, if you do find something you really like and end up wearing a lot, try to buy them in multiple colors. If you can wait, you may even be able to snag the multiples on clearance.

I’m pregnant with number 2 now, and I recently found some great maternity deals on clearance at Target–shirts and tanks around $3. I didn’t really need them since my maternity gear from my first pregnancy is like new, but it’s always nice to have a bit more variety when you’re pregnant. The same old clothes do get old fast!

• MISSEE says:

If there is a Once Upon A Child consignment store in your area, sometimes I have found a few maternity selections there in the past. My baby is 11, but they still might have maternity clothes.

• shelly says:

Kohls always has maternity clothes on sale and you can often find them on clearance too.
    We have a local children’s consignment store which sells maternity clothing. I have also had luck finding maternity clothes at the huge consignment sale Just Between Friends (if you go to jbf.com you can see if there is one near you)
    Congrats!

• shelly says:

One other thing I did with tops was look for good clearance deals on clothes that were a couple sizes bigger than my normal size. Worked great! (and there wasn’t the markup they do just becuase something is maternity clothing 🙂

• Leah says:

I bought a lot of larger size shirts w/ stretch to them from Target/Walmart clearance racks for a few dollars each. I bought 2 pairs of pants from a local children’s consignment shop. The rest of the time, I wore stretchy pre-maternity dresses and shirts with high waists.

• Julie says:

I am 27 weeks preg myself and love the skirts with the big band that comes up practically to your elbows! it is by far the most comfortable and it gives you a more seamless look under shirts (no 2″ wide elastic band bump). I buy alot at childrens consignment sales (even when I am not expecting I browse thru for steals 🙂 And as this is my second I would caution you that those skirts and jeans that fit great in the 2nd trimester may be to small in the third. Buy with a little extra room rather than fitting perfectly, especially if your like me and your hips spread to different zip codes :).

• Kohls and Ross were my favorite places to buy maternity clothes, and if you have time to go frequently, you may find great deals at clearance racks..

• Rachael says:

One thing I’d recommend is to not buy everything at once. I found that I outgrew some of my clothes by the end, but I couldn’t have predicted exactly what would look flattering on me months in advance, especially with my first. It is also nice to pick up a few basic items after the baby comes to get you through until the your pre-pregnancy clothes fit again. It’s so nice to wear regular clothes again after the baby comes, but it usually takes me four-six months to fit back into my clothes again. These post-pregnancy clothes also can be recylced for future pregnancies.

• louise says:

the half of half store has really great deals on maternity, i bought pant and a couple of shirts for $1 a piece , they have a website with a store locator coz i’m not sure if they’re nation wide or just in missouri and the surrounding states, also target has good materity clearence

• Anitra says:

Start looking at children’s consignment stores! I had no idea of the consignment stores in my area until my daughter was about 8 months old. Imagine my surprise to find out that many of them also carry maternity clothes!

I wish I had luck borrowing clothes from other women, but I can rarely do that in day-to-day life, as I know very few other women my size and height. The few shirts I was able to borrow for my first pregnancy, I had to return in my second trimester since I could no longer get them over/around my boobs.

• Lisa Gupton says:

I’m sorry if someone already put this, but if you live ANYWHERE NEAR CINCINNATI, OHIO, you should go to the Gap Distribution Center in Hebron, KY!!! They are fantastic for any Gap, Old Navy or Banana Republic clothing. They have last year’s left-overs, but it’s organized really well and CHEAP! I got over $600-worth of GAP Maternity clothes for $90!!! My WHOLE maternity wardrobe for less than 100 bucks, and it’s cute! Can’t beat it.

• Tami says:

When I was pregnant I was really blessed to have friends who loaded me down with maternity clothes. Towards the end though I was carrying really low and needed a few things to hold me over till he popped out. I found a great long grey jumper at Goodwill. It was perfect, comfy, I could change my shirt or sweater and it was a new dress. Goodwill, Once Upon a Child and Kohl’s were places I found good stuff.

• Anne says:

I had a lot of success finding maternity clothes at Once Upon A Child and clearance racks. Sometimes garage sales have some stuff, check out the ones that have toys, that’s usually a good indicator, though NOT always the case. I’m sad that OUAC is no longer in our area, but have found some things at Savers. I think I got my entire summer maternity wardrobe at OUAC when I was expecting my daughter (she was born in August…my son had been born in January). Also, if you’re going for comfy/casual, hit up your hubbys shirts/pants. My hubbys shirts are always my choice when maternity clothes aren’t cutting it and my own don’t fit. (I’m thin with a very long torso and long legs…makes for a difficult time finding maternity clothes that fit for the entire 9 months +)

• Heather Snyder says:

Old Navy is where I found my best deals. That was most of my clothes. I also found stuff at garage sales. I say keep the wardrobe simple. You will HATE it by the end but you will be gald you saved the money. And buy a size bigger for the end of your pregnancy. You would be shocked at how small clothes gets by the 8th and 9th month. I spent the most at the END of my pregnancy just b/c I didn’t realize that and had to have clothes w/o any good sales.

• Katie says:

I don’t seem to see anyone commenting on this, but if you live near a H&M they actually have a maternity line of clothes. They are usually very affordable to start with and also have some really great sales. Some of their stuff is a bit much for me, but you can find some nice basics at the store.

Like many other have suggested I ended up using clearance racks at Motherhood Maternity, Gap, and Old Navy. And for some of those pieces that really lasted I actually found them on clearance at some boutique maternity stores.

• Ellen says:

you might want to try a children’s consignment sale. There are usually lots of them in the fall and spring. Even though they’re known advertised for kid’s stuff, MOST will also be selling maternity items as well.

• Mistie says:

Oh, I love repurposing and reusing things! I also love things well worn, soft and without a hefty price tag! I always get my maternity clothes at thrift stores such as Savers, Goodwill, Salvation Army, the DI. You wouldn’t believe just how many *new* or *like new* clothes you can find there, and that goes for baby clothes too.

• Anna says:

I would also say check Gap’s clearance… I lucked out with my first pregnancy… my sister’s and I were out just looking and stumbled upon the jackpot, I got several sweaters, pants and an awesome winter coat for around 7$ a piece. INCLUDING the coat! Of course through that pregnancy, my second and my sister’s first we have picked some things up at Target and ON, but I saved up my Mypoints for a Gap gift card and have my Gap groupon… I’m planning on buying some maternity jeans as soon as the gift card comes in. Even though they will be expensive, I know that I will wear them more than enough to be worth it. I also know that even though I don’t plan on gettting pregnant again other people will wear my jeans.

The best part about the Gap clearance find was that winter coat… I wore it all through my first pregnancy (was end of January baby) and then wore it over the ergo for a while. Wore it some with my second (May baby), my sister wore it some, we lent it to a girl at my church last winter, and I will wear it again for my now January baby. That’s 4 winter’s worth of wearing a $75 coat that we paid like $7 for… that’s what I call a good deal!

• Melissa Jeffers says:

Target clearance rack.

• Lauren says:

I gained 40 lbs while I was pregnant. Ugh!
    Maternity clothes are expensive! I was able to buy larger sizes of regular clothes at Old Navy off the clearance rack. Ross Dress For Less even has a small maternity section. I by far found the most stuff at a local second hand/resale store.

• Brook says:

I just wore sweats, so I’m no help there.

I was given the tip that you can use a rubber band as a “button extender” to give yourself another inch or so on the pants you already have. Loop the band around the button, thread the (other) end through the button hole, and bring it back to loop around the button.

• Jessica says:

Watch for garage sales that are advertising infant items! I’ve found alot of garage sales that have strollers, infant clothes, baby toys, Bumbo’s, etc usually have some maternity clothes for sale also! And knowing from experience, when we knew there aren’t more children coming, it’s time to get rid of the baby gear, as well as my maternity clothes! 😉

• Jackie says:

I’m 8 months pregnant with my first right now and the biggest lifesaver for me during the first five months were the clothes I received/borrowed from friends. I picked up some basic tees and a pair or work pants at Motherhood Maternity but my personal style doesn’t exactly mesh with what they sell so sometimes it was hard to find dressier things.

I’m in my 20’s and was a pre-pregnancy size four so I actually went into a store called Forever 21 and was able to find clothes there. My new-mommy and recently pregnant friends pointed me in that direction and I’m so glad they did. The store is geared toward younger women and teen girls so the place will be trashed if you go during peak shopping hours (if you have one in your area, that is.) I spent a couple hours there on a Tuesday night and took my time and found some really cute (and work appropriate!) graphic tees with side-ruching, some long cardigans and deep V-neck tunics that not only work great now but will also be good for breast feeding. If you don’t have a store and aren’t nervous about buying clothes online, check out their website. I suppose because they kept having young moms come in to buy inexpensive maternity clothes, they just recently launched a Maternity line which is only available in select stores, but you can find it on their website. Most of their clothes are in the $5-$30 range and the Maternity Line is in the $10-$25 range.

• Jan says:

Borrow from your husband’s closet!

• Lorea says:

I’m pretty sure Target donates some of their clearance to Goodwill because I’m always finding A TON of brand new items from Target at Goodwill. That’s where I bought almost all of my maternity clothes. You can’t beat 2 bucks for a brand new shirt!

• Charity says:

Hi Eden! Congratulations! I am expecting our fourth little blessing, due this spring. Everyone has given you so many great suggestions already on where to find good deals, so there isn’t much I can add. I would highly suggest searching yard sales as I bought most of my maternity clothing during my first pregnancy at one, and have worn them through each pregnancy so far. My suggestion is to buy same larger (especially tops, as the bottoms of them tend to creep up as your belly gets larger) clothing for the last bit of your pregnancy. I was shocked at how incredibly large my belly grew with my last pregnancy. I’m pretty small, and am definitely “all belly” when pregnant. My last pregnancy I went from a 24inch waist (around the belly button) to a whopping 48inches! I never imagined I would need a size large shirt to cover my huge belly! I suppose that’s what happens when you go nearly two weeks overdue and delivery a 9lb 13oz baby boy!

• Charity says:

@Charity, OOPS! Came back to read more comments and realized I had a typo on my baby’s weight…actually 8lbs 13oz, still a big baby for a small gal like me…but I couldn’t imagine a pound larger! 🙂

• Julie says:

I know this will make some women cringe, but truly, my favorite items have been from Pea in the Pod, the most outrageously expensive items ever, but the best clearance sales you can imagine. I buy nothing over $20, and the clothing is made so well, holds up so well, and looks flattering. Motherhood and Target has been a ripoff for me, with the pants looking stretched out and old almost immediately. Gap maternity clearance sales are excellent too. I wear the same Gap maternity pants for $20 to work, to church, etc, and they hold up so nicely after going in the washer with Woolite. So if you’ve got a little bit more to spend, and can buy some basics that won’t go out of style by the third kiddo, and you can take care of the clothes you buy… The items at consignment near me have been such poor quality, faded, out of style… I bit the bullet and got some great basics that will hopefully last for years.

• Rachel says:

I have found several things at Old Navy and Motherhood on clearance…I mostly only shop clearance racks so I’ve borrowed a lot with this (my first) pregnancy since I didn’t pre-buy much.

I prefer to shop seasonal consignment sales for both baby and maternity clothes. I haven’t found much online as far as consignment goes and unfortunately we only have a few shops around here. I did come across a site that offers decent prices and a decent flat-rate shipping charge. The link is http://www.cravingstyle.com. I have found though that as with most stores, the smaller your size, the larger the selection.

I hope that can be useful. 🙂

• Lauren says:

for anyone pregnant in the summer … i just had my 3rd in july and had to go to a couple of weddings over the summer when i was 9 mos pregnant. i didn’t want to spend a lot of money, but still wanted to be dressed somewhat appropriately so i bought a dress from marshall’s (doesn’t have a maternity section) that was loose and “one size fits all.” it’s cute! spaghetti straps and elastic across the top but loose on the bottom. don’t think i’m describing it well, but it was $25 and i can still wear it even when i’m not pregnant. even if you don’t have weddings to go to, that style of dress is nice in the summer when you’re pregnant cuz it keeps you cool … er. 🙂 and you can usually wear them even after your belly is back to normal.

another thing i found was super target’s clearance! i don’t live near a super target so i don’t get to go there often, but this past summer i got 2 nursing tanks for $4 each on clearance in the intimates section, not maternity. i’m not a big fan of the maternity section at target simply because things rarely go on sale and the regular prices are over my budget, but the clearance section at super target was perfect!!

• Amy says:

Kohl’s! Keep your eye out for the $10 off a $20 purchase in your newspaper, combine that with a 15% off or 30% off coupon (if they send those to you,) and go comb the clearance racks. I have gotten great tops for around $3 many times. Their maternity brand is made by Motherhood.

Also, look at their online sales (be sure to use a %-off code and eBates) and order enough stuff to get free shipping, try it all on at home, and bring back what you don’t like to the store for free.

I recommend getting a denim skirt or two and wearing them like crazy. I have a terrible time finding pants and jeans that don’t fall down, and skirts have been just wonderful.

Also, some stretchy T-shirts, like the Merona T-shirts Target has right now, work great as maternity shirts if you buy a size or two larger. They go on clearance frequently, too.

• Kara says:

This hits home for me, I’m pregnant with our first also… Her points are right on! 1) I received SO MUCH stuff from friends and friends-of-friends who wanted to get rid of their clothes. I made sure to mark their initials on each person’s contributions so that if they want them back after I’m done with them, they are easy to sort. If they don’t, I just add to the pass-it-on bag. 2) BELLA BAND (or similar)! I received 2 from my sister and they were a lifesaver my second trimester… you can leave your pants unbuttoned and no one is the wiser. I found some on eBay that are less expensive and cotton/lycra as opposed to just lycra, and I actually like them better because they are longer (go all the way up to my bra line) and I can use them for nursing (so I won’t have a bare belly showing!). I got like 8 of them in different solid and patterned colors so they go with everything. 3) It’s a good thing the styles these days are maternity friendly. Most all of the shirts I have in my closet are long (tanks especially) and empire waist. I didn’ t have to buy barely anything new (although I did buy some just to have some new things 😉 )
    4) Shop Ross, Marshall’s, TJ Maxx… and Kohl’s has GREAT clearance sales, especially when you can stack coupon codes, etc. Old Navy also had some good Maternity sales. Good luck! 🙂

• Dena says:

BirthRight is a wonderful place to check out.It is ran by private donations.It is completely free to any pregnant woman.They can do so much to help a mommy to be.They offer everything a baby or mommy would need.They were a Godsend for us.It is not state run.They go by your need not your income.Hope this helps………Dena

• Cherilyn says:

Definitely thrift stores. You can find great quality pieces for next to nothing. I bought a number of items thrift shopping during my pregnancy and in total I spent just under $30 on everything. The quality is usually good and the wear factor is minimal as most people only wore the items for a short while during their pregnancies.

Also – the other day I was at the mall with my 7 month old and happened to see the maternity store and was really happy that I hadn’t spent a wad on new clothes that I wouldn’t even be able to wear now. It was a nice eye opener.

• Jenn says:

Target has some great sales on maternity clothes, esp if you get the “end of season” sales. I just got a very nice top and dress for $15 total. Garage sales are good places, too but sometimes hard to find anything that’s not either worn out or completely outdated;). Sears has a great selection of maternity clothes and they have good sales, too. My 2nd & 3rd pregnancies I had (have!) to wear the full panel pants b/c I carry the boys so low. But Sears has a line of pants where the band is adjustable so you can comfortably push it down for post-postpartum wearing. I also have been blessed with friends who have shared/given their maternity clothes. And if you go for quality, they’ll last through a lot of pregnancies! I counted up and a lot of mine that I’m wearing this time (on my 3rd) have been through 10 pregnancies! And don’t look it. It’s really crazy how expensive maternity clothes are.

• Carissa says:

I have found garage sales to be a great place to find maternity clothes. I paid $1 for 2 pairs of jeans and .50 for a couple shirts. Usually they ask a little more at garage sales but this lady just wanted to get rid of them. I felt like I hit the jackpot. I wear a lot of athletic pants and they still fit fine when I’m pregnant. I have a few nicer outfits for church and other outings, but when I’m home with my kids I just try to be comfortable. My normal athletic pants and sweatshirts work just fine. The rubber band around the button of jeans and through the loop hole works, but I don’t think it is as comfortable.

• Brittany says:

I had great luck with Gap and Old Navy online. You can shop off the clearance and find some great deals! Also, Gap and Old Navy you can order off the same site so shipping is all together and at certain times free.

Also, JC Penny has a great maternity section here in KC and I could find great tops all for under $10.

I agree with the other ladys, the belly band was great! It was hard to use it at the end, but I used it until about 25 weeks. The bands at Target are the cheapest ones that I’ve found. Plus, they are great to use for post partum as well.

• Melissa says:

I bought a ton from Target (basics), consignment shops and gap. Most of my friends and I share our maternity clothes which as really worked out but my suggestion is to spend money on what you will wear often. Jeans, decent black pants, and anything else you live in. I also went to old navy and bought a ton of thier capri’s that are drawstring pants (no buttons or zippers) and bought them in bigger sizes. They were not maternity but fit all the way through.

The Bella band which is also sold under another name at target, will buy you more time with your pants!

• Brittany says:

Also, forgot to add thiss. I advise buying pieces that are solid in color and not too trendy. Classic pieces. I’m pretty young, and will probably not be done having kids for another 10 years. With that being said, buying more classic pieces are a good idea so that they don’t go completely out of style by the time your have your next pregnancy.

Congrats! 🙂

• Alice says:

I’m 19 weeks with our first, so I don’t know how all these clothes will fit me in a few months, but I’ve had a lot of success with clearance racks and/or using coupons at Old Navy, Destination Maternity, H&M, and Kohl’s. The thrift stores around here unfortunately didn’t have many maternity clothes (although they are great for baby clothes!)

I wore the bella band earlier on, but maternity pants are much more comfortable now. My favorite thing to wear so far is cheap maternity tank tops with long cardigans I already own or can wear after pregnancy too. I also have a feeling I will be wearing my husband’s hoodies a lot this winter!

• Zarah says:

Ross!! or even on Craigslist and Ebay!! I found some discounted maternity clothes at my local Susie’s Deals and DD’s Discount store =)
    But if you can borrow maternity clothes, that’s your best bet. Sometimes Motherhood Maternity has some good deals on their clearance rack as well. Happy shopping =)

• Keelie says:

I bought very little when I was pregnant. My mom suggested to me to buy pants with elastic bands to get me until I was 6 months or more. She told me they would be things that I could wear after I had my babies. It was the perfect advice. I had several friends outgrow their maternity clothes at 8 months because they bought their maternity clothes at 3 or 4 months. I suggest to buy two pair of pants, one jean, one khaki, and one skirt. Then you should buy one dress maternity shirt, and maybe three shirts that are more casual. I didn’t see anyone suggest borrowing your husband’s t-shirts. I’m sure not everyone can do this, but if your husband is a bigger man then you, borrowing t-shirts don’t make you look like a guy. I wore a lot of my husband’s t-shirts around the house. I saved my maternity shirts for going out. I also suggest that if you have to buy a bigger bra, to go ahead and buy nursing bras if you are planning to nurse. Your chest isn’t going to go down until you stop nursing. It may get bigger when you start to nurse, but if you buy a nursing bra while you are pregnant, then you will save on that expense after you deliver.

• Sarah D says:

Quality over quantity is great advice usually, and I’m sure that will be my mantra for subsequent pregnancies. However a wide selection of sizes and pieces (quantity) was a blessing for me during my first pregnancy. I didn’t know how I’d carry or what styles of maternity clothing I’d like. It was great to use garage sales & craigslist during my first few months of pregnancy to create the base of a wardrobe for my whole pregnancy. Then I knew I had something that would probably work for every stage of my expanding belly. My favorite find was a Pea-in-the-Pod sweatsuit that I essentially lived in the last few weeks of my pregnancy. Another favorite was a black ruffled skirt that I bought as part of lot of clothing off of craigslist. I didn’t even like the skirt initially, but loved it months later when I tried it on my big belly and realized how comfy it was. It was great,especially late in my pregnancy, to go “shopping” in my own closet.

• Jennifer says:

I just found a motherhood maternity outlet store near me! I find shirts for under $2- and I mean great quality long sleeve shirts at that!

• maureen says:

I recently had a lil one..she’s 2 months old this week. I bought a pair of basic editions at kmart in size 42″X30″ BASIC EDITIONS cargo pants in dark color and a pack of Hanes 42″ white cotton tshirts. And I wore that the last 3 months..grin 😉 I was comfortable. And funny part was most people thought I was just gaining weight. One guy even said months after I had her..”you look great..looks like you lost weight..lol ..usually i say yeah I gained a 6lb kid LOL.

• Mainda says:

I put a post on facebook asking if any friends had maternity clothes to share. I was amazed at how many friends and collegues had tubs of clothes in their basement or garages who wanted them gone. I only purchased 1 pair of jeans and 1 shirt (from a second hand shop) and ended up with 7 tubs of clothes. Many friends did not want the clothes back, so they have been given to another friend.

Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy