MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

Reader Tip: Earn Amazon gift cards from Opinion Outpost

For those of you looking for a way to earn a little bit through taking surveys, I thought you’d appreciate this tip that reader, Cherilyn, emailed in:

I cannot recommend Opinion Outpost enough. I have redeemed $15 in Amazon bucks in the last week alone! I filled out all of my profile surveys and I am offered at least 2 surveys a day at 10-30 points each. It only takes 50 points to get you a $5 Amazon gift certificate. It has been such a big help in buying our homeschool books for the fall. -Cherilyn

I personally have not had experience with Opinion Outpost, but have heard great recommendations from others. Have you had experience with this survey site? If so, I’d love hear your thoughts on it.

102 Comments

• Tracey says:

I have been with Opinion Outpost for a little over a year and have earned over $90 so far. If you choose an Amazon gift card, the deliver the code instantly. When I have requested a check it has always come within 2-4 weeks. I highly recommend Opinion Outpost.

• Jojo says:

@Tracey, How do you get the amazon gift codes? I only see cash out. Thanks.

• Tracey says:

@Jojo,
        In the members area, go to Rewards. When you are there it should list two Redemption Options under your current points. The top one is for Amazon gift cards; just click on the Claim Codes and enter how many points you want to redeem.
        Tracey

• Jojo says:

@Tracey, Thank you but that’s so odd, I have no choice. I clicked on everything in rewards. That’s okay though, I still like the cash. I guess I’ll just get my amazon cards from swagbucks.

• Rene says:

I have done surveys with Opinion Outpost for several years. When you cash out for a check, you get it in lightning speed! The last check was in my mailbox within 4 days of me cashing out. They send me surveys nearly every day, I qualify for less than half, but you don’t have to go very far in a survey to find out whether you qualify or not. I usually earn $50- $60 every six months. I would recommend this survey site!

• Stephanie says:

I love Opinion Outpost. I have been a member for over a year. I usually redeem by form of check rather than Amazon cards, it’s just a personal preference. I cash out every 3-5 months at about $40 each time, depending on how often I qualify for surveys. I definitely recommend them for someone wanting an easy survey site.

• Christy says:

I really dislike Opinion Outpost because it seems as though every survey they send me I don’t qualify for only to find out after answering a dozen questions! I do, however, LOVE Pinecone Research because they only send you surveys that you DO in fact qualify for and they pay $3/survey and FAST!!

• Amanda says:

@Christy,

I have a question. I feel so silly but I’m not seeinghow to sign up on the Pine Cone website. I’ve emailed them to try to sign up with no response. What in the world am I missing??
      Thanks!

• Julie says:

@Amanda, Pinecone Research only takes applications at certain times of the year when they are in need of new ones. You need to see a “banner or ad” to click on a link to sign up!

• Ambrosia says:

@Christy, I agree with you. I really hate taking long surveys just to find out I don’t qualify. They do pay quickly, when I’m able to finally get a few surveys in.

But what I really like about PR is that they only send me stuff I know I’m not wasting time on. And they pay quickly. And you can get some nice stuff to try out. =)

• Julie says:

@Ambrosia, Fully agree with the above. I signed up a year or so ago and got 2-3 surveys a day, probably spent 5-8 minutes on each and always got a message I did not qualify. I stopped doing this survey! Pinecone Research and mysurvey.com are the best!

• Ellen W. says:

I love them! I just started in February after you linked a post on surveys from Mommy Snacks. I signed up for it and I’ve already made $45. I like it b/c you find out pretty quickly if you don’t qualify–which cuts down on wasted time. And, I concur with the above poster, the checks come very fast. You don’t have to get Amazon giftcards. You can request a $5 check just after getting 50 points, which doesn’t take long. Also, if your friends sign up and complete just 1 survey, you get 20 points ($2). You can also link it to facebook so that every time you cash out, it’ll post in your friends newsfeed and they can click and sign up through you! I cannot say enough about them. I’ve also been paid by Toluna, Survey Savvy, American Consumer Panel, and My Survey. I’m almost at $115 for the year just from surveys. This is really going to help out with purchasing Christmas presents later this year. Thanks for your original post about surveys that got me started!

• Julie M says:

I have been doing surveys with Opinion Outpost for about 6 months. I like that I can redeem for instant Amazon gift cards. This is how I paid for my All You magazine subscription and bought a DVD set for my kids. The downside is that I don’t seem to qualify for a lot of their surveys.

• cwaltz says:

I had heard good things about them but my experience with them was awful. I had technical issues with the first two surveys theysent me and it took awhile for them to get back to me. Their prescreens in my opinion were onerous. They literally asked for insurance company, asked for where I fill my prescriptions, asked how much I spent on prescriptions, asked why I filled prescriptions there, asked for how often I filled prescriptions only to tell me I didn’t qualify. I can’t imagine an actual survey getting more detailed than the qualifier.

Anyway, I unenrolled and haven’t looked back. Different strokes for different folks.

• Amy says:

Opinion Outpost is my favorite survey site. Their pay per survey is pretty consistent with how long it takes (about $1 per 10 minutes of work) so I don’t have to think for a few minutes about how much I am actually making for the survey to know if it’s worth my time (on some other survey sites they give out astronomical amounts of points, but then you do that math it’s only about 50 cents for 20 minutes of work). I cash out every 50 points ($5) and get the check within the week. My favorite part is that when you don’t qualify for a particular survey, you get to click on a box for an “instant win” chance. If you win you get $50. Since the beginning of the year I have won the “instant win” twice…$100 extra for me! Yeah!

• Kristine says:

In the past two years I have only ever qualified for a handful of surveys. Sometimes you find out after a couple of questions, but sometimes I have taken 5+ minutes filling out the detailed survey questions only to abruptly be told that I don’t qualify….and you earn NO points if you don’t qualify. I think you should at least earn something for taking the time to answer at all! I still get their surveys, but I am not as diligent about doing them anymore b/c of the low return. I do, however, do other survey sites that I am quite happy with!

• Christy says:

@Kristine,
      Hi Kristine,

What survey companies are you happy with? I have great luck w/My Survey and Pine Cone Research. Like you, I also seem to go thru quite a lengthy survey process w/Opinion Outpost before being told that I don’t qualify. Very frustrating. So I ignore 90% of their surveys that litter my inbox.

• cwaltz says:

@Christy,

I’m not Kristine however I feel comfortable recommending Synovate which gives you 50 points even if you don’t qualify for a survey. I also like Toluna because you can go to their website and “vote” for points which actually is their prequalifier questionaires. You don’t have to wait for an invite(although they will send you many, many which I usually delete)

You won’t get rich off either but you could pocket an extra $50 bucks in the year between the 2 without much effort.

I also recommend Panel polls for anyone with kids between 6-17. It’s run by Nickelodeon so they specifically are looking at that age group. I’ve made about $40 through them(although I do have 4 kids).

Another company to fill out an application for is 20/20 research. You won’t get a ton of surveys but when you qualify for a prescreen subject they compensate you really, really well. I got $150 Amazon gift card last year and $100 this year for a follow up. The forum was a week long in both cases and great fun. Because the forums are smaller groups you get alot of interaction and really get to contribute.

Hope this helps.

Christine

• Christy says:

@cwaltz,
          Thank you Christine! I have signed up for all that you have mentioned. I really appreciate your recommendations & explanations. Thanks so much!!!

• Shauna says:

I am also interested to know what other survey sites you like to use.

• Kristine says:

I use mysurvey.com and zoompanel.com

I haven’t tried some of the others mentioned in the comments, but I just might 🙂

• Jennifer says:

I have used Opinion Outpost for years. I used my points to get amazon gift certificates, and used those to purchase my Cricut Expression w/ no out of pocket expense to me. Definitely worth the time and energy, and easy to keep up.

• LJ says:

When I started, I never seemed to qualify, but now I seem to have better luck. The one thing I love about it is that the gift codes for Amazon are instant….no waiting!

• Sarah S. says:

I’ve used Opinion Outpost for about a year now. It’s an excellent survey site! Every time I’ve cashed out, I’ve had my check within a few days. I love being able to earn a few dollars from the comfort of my couch!

• maggie says:

I do not like this survey site at all. I wasted a lot of time only to find i do not qualify for the survey 99 percent of times after 3 or 4 months of consistent trying. waste of time as for me so i gave up.

• Judy says:

I have never qualified for one of their surveys, and I have tried it several times. It’s frustrating and takes forever for them to decide that you don’t qualify…a huge waste of time!

• Melissa P. says:

@Judy, I had the same problem with Opinion Outpost. I kept being told I didn’t qualify after taking a time consuming qualifier survey. Once, when I finally did qualify, I gave up halfway through because the questions were so weird (like how did driving a particular vehicle make you feel: confident, peaceful, daring, etc.)

• celin says:

what kind of surveys are they is it about products you buy ?

• Michele says:

I love Opinion Outpost I have been doing surveys with them since last Nov. I like earning the $5 amazon cards and am saving them up for Christmas shopping this year!

• Alissa H. says:

I’ve been using them for a few months. I don’t get very many surveys from them. So far I’ve gotten a $5 check from them, for about 5 months of using them. I just logged in to see about the Amazon thing and I can’t find any options for that. It looks like I can only request checks in the mail.

• I have made over $250! I love them!

• Sherri says:

I joined Opinion Outpost about 2 months ago and just got a check for $31. I qualify for less than 1/2 of the survey invites I get, but I usually only answer a few questions (~5) before I get bumped. I think it depends on the company directing the survey, as some have been longer and more frustrating. I got my check super fast, too- just a couple of days.

• Kristen says:

This has been one of the more recent survey companies I have joined and I have enjoyed it thus far. In the past 3 or 4 months, I have earned $29. I do surveys because I believe that every little bit counts. It is relatively easy to qualify and I love that you can cash out at $5. I am waiting until November to cash out for CHRISTmas presents. I do not see the link where you can cash out for Amazon cards, but I am still happy with the cash!

• Trish says:

I have mixed feelings about Opinion Outpost. I qualify for about 15% of the surveys I am offered and I feel like they waste my time. BUT on the surveys I do get into the reward amount is more than fair.

• Shannon says:

With what everyone is saying, I just signed up! I hope I have this much success too. I currently am with Lightspeed Panel and LOVE it 🙂 I have been a member for 3 months maybe and have earned $30 in CVS gift cards! There are so many options for payment too!

• Shauna says:

I also just decided to sign up. Has anyone else used Lightspeed Panel?

• Kay says:

@Shauna, I’m a member of Lightspeed and it’s just as good as Opinion Outpost. You can earn points pretty quick and the points needed for Amazon $ is low enough to be able to cash out once every month or two, depending on how many surveys you do. I usually prefer these two over the other ones that I do surveys for.

• Stephanie says:

I use them but it is far from my favorite survey site and I am picky about which survey I do from them. I once took one for more than 20 minutes and was disqualified! When you are disqualified, you get zero points and get to either enter a contest or donate a dime. I felt very ripped off and wrote them an email about how much time I had taken the survey. They wrote back that sometimes you are disqualified and won’t get the points then, etc… but after more than 20 minutes?!?!?!

• Christy says:

@Stephanie,
      Completely agree! Very frustrating and it has happened to me several times. So much so that I just started ignoring their survey requests all together.

• Jessica says:

I felt that it was a huge waste of time. Like many others here, I went through a lengthy process of answering questions only to find out that I didn’t qualify for a survey. After about 2 months of answering every survey they sent me, I was able to purchase a $9 train off Amazon for my son. My time could have been much better spent working a part-time job a few hours a week.

• Allison says:

I signed up for a bunch of surveys months ago, but sort of forgot about them. I check my survey inbox occasionally and do some. This post reminded me to log into Opinion Outpost, and lo and behold, there are $7 waiting for me! I’m trying to decide if I should cash out or get the Amazon money, because we are so terribly broke right now. I got the free Prime student membership the other day, so I could use the Amazon money for stuff we need, or I could put the cash in the bank…decisions, decisions…

• Di H. says:

I’m glad a lot of readers have had more luck with Opinion Outpost. I, like someone else here, have had technical difficulties from day 1 with the surveys. I emailed their tech/help dept the first time, and was asked for the survey number. When I went back to my home page, the survey was gone anyhow. After the third survey freezing midway in a row I deleted my account.

• Liz says:

I’ve been a member of O.O. for a few months now and have NEVER qualified for a survey. Sadly I usually discover this after answering umpteen questions. I’m considering dropping them altogether.

• Marie says:

I also find that I start a lot of surveys with them, only to be told that I don’t qualify (after having wasted 5-10 minutes). I find it quite frustrating. I do think that their compensation is fair on the ones I have completed.

• I haven’t had a lot of luck with Opinion Outpost either. I would get pretty far into a survey and then would be disqualified.

At least with MySurvey, you get points for doing the screener. They’re my first choice, followed by Lightspeed. I’ve tried to apply with PineCone many times (via an invite) and have never gotten a response.

• Christy says:

@Brown Thumb Mama,
      Pine Cone is by far the best. $3 for every survey you complete (payment is super fast too) and they ONLY send you surveys that you are qualified for .. not to mention the cool products they send you to test out!

• Seema says:

I’ve been on Opinion Outpost for a little over a year and have earned over $200. Yes, it can be frustrating trying to qualify for some surveys, but overall I’ve been satisfied. I just used some of my earned Amazon credit to buy a suitcase.

• Wendy says:

I haven’t tried this company specifically, but I’ve been very frustrated with survey companies in general. It seems like if you’re white, non-Hispanic, 20-35, and a mom, you don’t qualify for very much. (Of course, you have to fill out dozens of questions before they tell you that.) If you’re non-white or you’ve got some other major demographic minority going for you, then these may be a great use of your time – but I’ve given up on them.

• Ambrosia says:

@Wendy, I don’t know, I’m not white and I hardly ever qualify. I think I’ve spent more time taking questions to find out I don’t qualify than I have taking actual qualifying surveys there. =(

• L. Seidel says:

I would be interested in Opinion Outpost but with all the women who’ve experienced less than desirable results it does not sound like time well spent. I would suggest finding a market research company in your area that does on site panels in person. If you live near a metropolitan area like Chicago there will be many. I recently did a panel on hand soap and for 1 and a half hours received $100 cash. A few months back I did a taste test for McDonald’s with my daughter and for 30 minutes we each received $75. Keebler hires people who have discriminating taste buds for new product launches. Check out companies in your area and your bound to earn money more efficiently and more rewardingly than these pesky surveys.

• Dee Wolters in TN says:

This is one company that I like pretty well for suveys. However, I chose the Paypal option for payment. I use my paypal account for ebay and other on line purchases, so I let the few dollars that i get from doing these surverys and other companys build up and then I have money for getting new home school books or other “fun” stuff.

• Jill C. says:

I used Opinion Outpost for several months and had the same experience as some others here, I never qualified for a single survey! It is extremely frustrating because, after answering SEVERAL questions that seem beyond the “standard” for qualifying, I would get “turned down” every time. It feels very much like they are getting information without reciprocating for it, which is why I finally closed my account with them. I’m glad to hear others have had their success with it but, for me, I won’t consider working with them again nor would I recommend them to anyone else. I have been using e-Rewards, Mypoints and Swagbucks and would highly recommend all of those programs!

• Melissa says:

I LOVE Opinion Outpost! The Amazon gift cards help soooo much around the holdiays! I use several different survey sites for the sole purpose of using the money or gift cards to get Christmas gifts. It is a huge help for us to be able to still give gifts even in the downturned economic times.

• Courtney says:

Same story here…I get invites from Opinion Outpost almost every day, but rarely qualify. I’ve given up on them. Lightspeed is almost as bad. My favorites are My Survey and Ipsos I-Say.

• Katie Robb says:

I love Opinion Outpost, it is always the first Survey site I recommend. All of the surveys are worth points which translate to dollars! The only have a $5.00 min for cashing out and you get the checks fast! You can cash out as often as you like for as many points as you have built up. I can get a check for $8.20 if that happens to be what my points are up to, I do not have to wait and cash out in $5.00 incriments. The survey format is very user friendly and I qualify for most of the ones they send me!

• Katie Robb says:

@Katie Robb,
      On a side note it seems like a lot of people get frustrated with a long qualifying process on some surveys. I would recommend not ever taking the “OTX” Survey as I have never qualified and it is a long process. I always skip that one, but qualify for probaly 85% of the other surveys OO offers.

• Christy says:

@Katie Robb,
        Hi there,
        What does OTX mean?? Curious how to distinguish that one out? Thanks!

• Katie says:

@Christy,
          It is the name of one of OO’s survey partners. They used to designate the surveys as a survey from OTX, but stopped doing that about 6 months ago. I can tell by the look of the survey when I start, they are gray and white and periodically tell you you don’t qualify but you can keep trying to qualify for another survey if you want. I hope that helps, sorry I don’t have better info.

• Eileen says:

Add me to the folks dissatisfied with opinion outpost. I too have spent too much time answering a bunch of questions only to be told that I don’t “qualify” for the survey. I have yet to qualify for any of their surveys ! (After trying well over a dozen…each time answering at least 10 or more questions) I give up on them.

• Eden says:

I LOVE Opinion Outpost! Just this morning I cashed in for two $5 Amazon gift cards. Probably took me less than 25 minutes. I couldn’t recommend them more!

• Heather says:

@Eden,
      How do you get the amazon gift cards? In my account I only see the checks.

• Eden says:

@Heather, I have the Amazon card option just above the check option.

It didn’t use to be there, then one day when I logged in, something just popped up telling me that that option had been added. I have been doing it ever since.

I’m so sorry! Wish I had more information! I really don’t know why you don’t have that option there.

• Gloria Brown says:

Wow sounds like a love/hate realtionship. I love it! I seem to qualify quite a bit. I bought lots of Christmas presents this past year with my earnings through the Amazon gift codes. Super easy to do and instant.

• Ashley says:

I have used Opinion Outpost for a couple years now and really like them. They always pay out quickly and most of their surveys pay well too.

• Whitney says:

I’ve been with Opinion Outpost since November of last year and have made over $150, plus qualified for an online discussion group that paid me $150 for a few hours of my time! I’ve also received several products (frozen dinners, shampoo and conditioner, diapers) to try. I’m currently trying to make the minimum on a few other survey sites so I can cash out and only take Opinion Outpost surveys.

For those of you who say they take the survey for 20 minutes only to be disqualified, pay attention to the survey company logo that is shown at the beginning. I’ve found that many people feel that surveys from the company OTX are a scam (disqualifying you after you’ve taken the entire survey) and Opinion Outpost has been hosting more and more of this company’s surveys. I’ve heard that many people are refusing to take the survey as soon as they see the OTX logo.

Another “scam” type thing I’ve seen very recently – a question in the middle of the survey that supposedly verifies that you are paying attention. I’m not talking about the “choose ‘dislike’ on this line” type thing that is included in a long list of questions. Instead, this is a screen with just one question like “choose number 8 so we know you are reading these questions.” From my own experiences and stories I’ve heard, everyone is disqualified from the survey immediately after answering this question (correctly.) I think this is a new scammy way to get free survey responses and determine whether they are valid. Since I’m ALWAYS disqualified immediately after this question I’ve decided to start answering it wrong whenever I encounter it.

• Sherri says:

@Whitney, What an interesting observation! I have seen that type of question a few times, but had not connected it with my being disqualified afterward. I’ll have to pay more attention next time and see what happens. Thanks!

• Christy says:

@Whitney,
      Hi there,

How was the online discussion group presented to you from OO? Did they email you specifically about that or how did you know it was available? Sounds like a fantastic opportunity! Thank you!

• Whitney says:

@Christy, The discussion group was presented to me in a similar way as the product trials. I took a survey (it was about how often I purchased breakfast bowls) and at the end it said I had possibly qualified for the discussion group. I had to provide my phone number so they could call and verify my previous answers. I received the call, answered the same questions I had during the survey, and a week or so later I received the discussion information. To receive payment I just had to log on to the discussion group at least once a day for 3 days in a row and answer about a dozen questions each time.

The surveys that are just qualifiers for product trials or discussion groups tend to be the ones that pay the least number of points (less than 100) on Opinion Outpost. That’s why I always take those first when I have several to choose from so I have the best chance of qualifying before they fill up. Good luck!

• Christy says:

@Whitney,
          Thanks Whitney for all of the very helpful information! I have always been so frustrated with Opinion Outpost, however, after reading your views & opinions, I have a whole new outlook. 🙂 In fact, I have already cashed out for a small cash payment and continue to keep moving forward … extra Christmas $$ can’t hurt, right? 🙂 Thanks again!

• Carol says:

Add me to the list of those who didn’t like Opinion Outpost. Same as many others have said–I filled out all my profiles (which the site said would make sure I received surveys I DID qualify for), got lots of surveys, spent 10-20 minutes each answering lots of questions and then didn’t qualify for any. Not one, and it took a LOT of questions for them to figure out I didn’t qualify. Complete waste of time. This was the first survey company I tried and I’m not eager to try another.

• Jessica says:

Well, i just tried to sign up with them and they won’t accept my address. (The place I live in is about 2 years old…I figure that’s the reason) So, I guess this is a sign I shouldn’t bother right?

• BB says:

Just for July I have made $21.00. I am now not cashing out until Nov. Saving the money for Christmas. I love that site.

• Stephanie says:

I love Opinion Outpost. I’ve been with them only a few months and have already made almost $50. I have yet to redeem for Amazon codes but, like someone else mentioned earlier, the checks come so quickly.

• cm says:

@PS,
    I made the same mistake and got a text message too. Did not finish the questions because I do not like things like that. Yuck.

• Anne says:

I have used OO off and on for a while now,a nd have mixed feelings about it. I do occasionally get checks from them (which I opt for instead fo the Amazon GC), but I get frustrated b/c it’s very hard for me to qualify into the surveys. And their qualifying surveys sometimes I think are a scam – it’s detailed and lengthy enough I feel I’ve actually completed a survey, adn then they tell me I didn’t qualify. I do it off and on and have earned a little money, but I’m not 100% satisfied with it.

• meegan says:

I never got offered surveys on their site… I think it was because I have no kids…

Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy