MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

A Dream Come True: Paying Cash for Our First Home

When we walked into this house, we both instantly fell in love with it. It was everything we were looking for — and so much more! Best of all? It was in our price range.

While we both were a little antsy to go ahead and put a contract on it, we wanted to research out everything more thoroughly, think it through, pray about it some more, sleep on it overnight and bring both of our dads to investigate it again with us to make sure we weren’t missing anything which we needed to be aware of.

There were already quite a few showings scheduled, so we felt it was best to not piddle around. We scheduled a time to come back and look at the house the next day with our dads and then we went home to pray and think.

Once home, we researched flood plains, tax appraisals, register of deeds documents, homes in the area which had recently sold and how much they sold for and we spent a long time praying for wisdom. We wanted to be 100% sure God was leading us to put a contract on this home. We really didn’t want to practically clean out our entire bank account for something which was not His will for us!

And the more we researched and prayed, the more the lights turned green. Based upon the prices of comparable houses in the area which had recently sold and based upon what we felt the home was worth, we decided upon what we wanted to offer.

The next day, we went back to look at the home praying that if there was any reason we weren’t supposed to put an offer on the house, God would make it very clear to us. Well, in going through the house with a fine-toothed comb again, we only came to like it even more. And our dads really liked it as well and felt the offer we had decided upon was fair.

So, with great excitement, we signed the contract. And within a few hours, the sellers accepted!

We had a hard time believing it was really and truly for real. After talking, dreaming, working and praying towards the goal of paying cash for a house, it felt rather surreal that it had actually happened.

A few weeks later, we drove Old Blue Van into town and signed our names on the dotted line to become home owners. We were chuckling while driving there about how crazy it was to be driving a clunker to pay cash for a home. We felt a little out of place when we drove up to a parking lot full of shiny almost-new cars.

But, in a way, it seemed so fitting. Being content with a clunker instead of upgrading to a newer car was just one of the many reasons we were in a position to pay cash for a house.

After signing the contract and getting the keys, Jesse and I headed over to our new home. It is hard to describe the feelings which washed over us when we pulled up into the driveway. To see our dreams come to fruition. To see the sleepless nights and long days of working and saving pay off. To see the realization of years of scrimping.

It was far from a fleeting momentary giddiness; it was a deep fulfilling feeling in the bottom of our souls. By the grace of God, we had paid cash for our first home.

And we knew beyond any shadow of a doubt that God is good. We stepped out in faith and obedience at the beginning of our marriage to follow His leading to be counter-cultural and follow the Biblical principle of “owing no man anything” (see Romans 13:8). It has been far from easy and there have been many times when we’ve wanted to give up and give in. But as we’ve stayed faithful and obedient — even when the going got very tough — He has blessed that obedience and faithfulness far beyond our wildest imaginations.

Without God’s blessing and provision, we would never have been position to pay cash for a home. But He has seen fit to bless us with a spacious home that meets and exceeds all of our expectations. And it’s a testament to His goodness and graciousness to bless His children with good gifts. It is our heart’s desire that we be wise stewards of this home He has entrusted to us.

305 Comments

• Kerri says:

What a blessing!! I have been a long time reader of your blog. From the beginning, I have always thought our lives have been very similar. We are near the same age and my husband is also an attorney. We had our first child in his last year of law school. I just HAVE to know this please answer….. How did you save money to pay your student loans off before college in high school? It must have been what? Undergrad 20K? Law school 30-40? Please tell me your secret!! That’s the one think that I hate to have. Also our ONLY debt and would love to know how you paid such a large amount of money off, before law school. Again, congrats on your new home!!

• Crystal says:

@Kerri, I have an article in the works on “How to Go to College Without Going Into Debt” which will share the principles we used, as well as many others we know. I think if more young people realized how possible it is to get an undergrad (and even masters or doctorate degree!) without debt, they’d be able to put themselves in a much better position financially!

• CindyD says:

I would love to read that one! I have just started back to school and really don’t want to go into debt.

• Kristin says:

Congratulations! You guys must be so thrilled! What a wonderful example of how hardwork and prayer can make great things happen!

• Debbie in PA says:

Congratulations to you and your family. That is really quite a fantastic accomplishment. From your pictures, it looks lovely!

• Dawn says:

I know we have never met, but I feel like you are one of my best friends after following your blog for over a year now. Your story is so inspiring! Without a house payment, I don’t imagine it will take too long for you to replace Old Blue. Your kitchen is beautiful and I can’t wait for the baking day photos from it. Thanks to your example (both of frugality and faith!) my family is debt free except the mortgage. And we have a plan to pay it off in 6 years. I look forward to Baby Step 7 of giving more than any of the other steps. But you can’t skip any along the way to get there right? That is why they are called baby steps.

• Donna C. says:

Along with many others, I have been following you since your Biblical Womanhood days (even had all the e-books, though the computer ate them). Your various websites and efforts have been a blessing to me, and an encouragement. I am so pleased to how Heavenly Father has blessed you and your family for your efforts to be obedient. What a beautiful home! You are a wonderful example of what a follower of Christ should look like and act like. Thank you!

• Karen says:

Congratulations!! You are an inspiration to many.

• Mary Ann says:

Congratulations!

• Helen says:

Okay, this brought tears to my eyes, the kind that are joyful and yet come from the deep place in my soul and attest to the truth of what happened by following God’s plan, not man’s. This is such a wonderful testimony. I couldn’t wait to see the kitchen pictures and it was beyond what I imagined. Congrats Sister!

• Shanna C says:

I’m so proud of you & your family!!! God has richly blessed your faithfulness and trust in Him.

• Carrie says:

Crystal, I am beyond thrilled for you and Jesse!!!! It has been so exciting to follow along as you took this journey. You have worked hard and God has blessed abundantly!! Your home looks absolutely lovely. Thanks for letting us share in your joy!

• And like the others, having never met, I feel as if we are friends 🙂 I’ve been following along since the days when there were only three of you.

My heart was overflowing as your dream started to become a reality. The pictures of your home are amazing…it truly does look like a dream home but any house that you are in with your family is home. It’s really about Him and the family that lives there 🙂

I’m so happy for you!

• Leslie says:

I applaud you and your husband! Thank you for being a visible example for us on the internet. For showing us that this is not because of you, but because of God. I’m sure you might get hate mail or people that really question your lifestyle, but press on, sister! May your home be a light in your neighborhood and may Christ be glorified.

• gina says:

I am so happy for you! Thank you for sharing…I have only started following your blog for about 2 months and it has been a huge blessing! Thanks to you and Life as Mom my husband and I have read Dave Ramsey’s book and have started on our journey to financial freedom. oh….and I must agree with you…..God is good!!!!

• Jennifer says:

Congratulations! What a blessing to own a home knowing your hard work and dedication have paid off.

• Dhivya says:

Hearty Congratulations Crystal 🙂 Very happy for you and your family. Enjoy your new home!

• Laura says:

WOW amazing! Im so happy for you guys. My husband and I started Dave Ramsey’s program June 2009 and have since paid off $34,200. Once we send the last check (hopefully the end of this month) we will be debt free. I cant tell you what a blessing this is to hear right now. My husband was just laid of (due to his office closing) and we have two kiddos (5months and 3 years) and live in California (not the best place to find a job). When I read your post a peace came over me, reminding me that He is bigger then all things, and that we will be fine as long as we continue to look to Him! Thank you so much, God is great! Enjoy your blessing, you guys deserve it!

• aimee says:

@Laura, What a wonderful reminder of how important it is to be debt free for times like you are experiencing. I hope your husband finds a new job very soon and you’re right…God is in control. He wants good things for us and is the giver of all good things! Blessings to you and your family.

• Mary says:

Wow! Congratulations! I love your kitchen, it’s beautiful!
    Thanks for your wonderful testimony, God is so good!

• Anna Whiteside says:

Congrats on your new home! Thanks for the inspiration to live below our means and to remember that we don’t need all the material things we see around us!

• Catherine Cochrane says:

Wow, nice house!

• Lisa says:

Crystal, we are so happy for you! It has been a joy to follow along on your journey. Your home is just beautiful! You are such an inspiration!

• Laurie says:

I’m so excited for you Crystal! Thank you so much for all you do to encourage all of us towards frugal living – we have friends who just finished paying off their home and my husband and I were just discussing what that kind of freedom must feel like. Thanks for the inspiration!

• melissa pimentel says:

I love it!!! I can’t wait to see more!

• Rebekah says:

I am so happy and excited for you! Congratulations on finding and paying cash for such a wonderful home! I pray you will all make many happy memories there.

• Robbfamily7 says:

Beautiful kitchen! It looks so big! I hope you will show us the rest of the house, and the outside!

Congratulations on your new home! I know God will bless it richly for your faithfullness!!

• Cherilyn says:

Praise God! So happy for you!!

• Liz says:

Crystal,

I am just so, SO excited and happy for you and your family. I have been following your blogs for over 3 years now, and I have seen how hard you and your husband have worked and saved to be able to make this dream come true. God is truly good, and I am so happy to see He has blessed you in such a wonderful way!! Congratulations!

• Jeannine says:

Congratulations Crystal, yes your hard work had finally paid off! I think it is wonderful the way you sought counsel from both of your fathers! What a gracious example of submission to authority and to the Lord’s leading.

Through all of this I can think of one statement and that is. “When we honor the Lord He honors us.”

• Wendy says:

I have been following your blog for about a year now, but have never posted any comments before. I draw so much strength from your website and hope that one I day I can do the same as you have done! Congratulations on seeing your dream come true and prayers be answered. Thanks for being an inspiration to so many of us!

• Lisa Goyette says:

I just wanted to say YOU AND YOUR Husband are AMAZING!!! What an insperation you both are. WOW comes to mind!

• Kacie says:

LOVE IT! Great story, and I’ve been following along every step of the way. It’s such a lovely kitchen, can’t wait to see more pics!

By you paying cash, does that mean you had no closing costs? Or perhaps less than what it would have been?

• June says:

Crystal,
    Congratulations! God is so good and what an encouragement as I’m also dreaming of someday becoming a debt free homeowner! I’ve been following your blog for a little over a year, and it feels as if you’re one of my neighbors! Enjoy your lovely home!

• Heidi says:

Absolutely perfect. You and your family have inspired me and my husband to believe that we can work towards being debt free. It is for sure not easy, but it will be so worth it, as you have shown us. Thanks for being so willing to share your story.

• Amy says:

I have been following your blog since you were pregnant with Silas and was impressed mostly by your wonderful attitude of NOT “keeping up with the jones” and having the faith and confidence not to need expensive things to fit in or be happy. You are providing a wonderful example for your children and think of the opportunities they will have since you are living debt free and saving for their future. I love your blog and freezer cooking and homeschool articles the best! House is gorgeous!

• shelly says:

Congratulations to you and your family! What an inspiration you are!!

• Davonne says:

Wow. Those pictures are GORGEOUS! Please share photos of more of your home!

You inspire me. My husband and I are working hard to pay off our debt (and are teaching our five year old why we should have never taken on debt in the first place!), and we hope to pay cash for a home some day.

God has truly blessed your efforts and sacrifice. Congratulations, and thank you for sharing your journey with the world.

• Laura says:

Congrats! That is awesome! I am just pleased as punch that our mortgage is under $100K. We are in So Cal, and the market here is terrible. I really want to pay it off, and we have the money, but with one in college and one to graduate next year, we will wait and pay a little to the principal each month. That is our only debt. So I am proud that we are not using ‘fake money’ as many out here do. Enjoy your new abode! I know you will.

• Taunya Madden says:

Crystal- Your blog is so encouraging to me. Your practical examples for living a Godly life are such a blessing and I’m so excited for you and your family as you settle into a new home! Thanks for sharing this.

• Katie says:

Thank you for sharing your wonderful testimony!

• Kate M. says:

Congrats! Being a new homeowner is such a fun time!!! Enjoy it because you guys deserve it! Thank you for being such a great role model!

• This is the very first I read your blog and am so amazed at what you have accomplised through your faith, what a testimony and example of God’s great love and work in your life. I will start reading your blog and greatly appreciate your testimony to others.

• damien says:

Congrats Crystal. I love the principles in which you live your life by, and it’s obvious that both you and Jesse are experiencing God’s favor in your life right now.
    An incredible story/testimony that you have shared today. It’s been interesting and inspiring to follow this story through your previous posts.

• Jamie says:

Congratulations! You have been so inspirational to me and my husband and I want to thank you! Your home looks beautiful!

• Janet says:

Crystal, What a lovely home! And to be worry-free of any mortgage!

We purchased our home with cash. We tithe and support 3 missionaries. We are completely debt-free. It is very different from most people I know who scrape by and load up on other expenses. We just returned from a 24 day trip through the west. We were able to do it because we don’t have a house payment or car payment. You will ultimately have a better life by refusing debt.

• Michelle says:

Amazing and inspiring! Congratulations! I’d love to see more pictures!

• Fabiana says:

Congratulations! You have a beautiful house.

• Kristi says:

Congratulations to you and your family on this Blessing from God and for the strength and courage it took to walk under God’s obedience. “no good thing will He withhold from them that walk uprightly.” Psalm 84:11 May you all continue to bask in all the Blessings God has in store for you!

• sarah says:

Congrats! How very gazelle of you:) May it be a blessed home.

• Amy says:

Very cool! Congrats!

• Michelle says:

So happy for you all. Reading about this brought tears to my eyes. I’m so excited to see how God did all this for you. Of course, you said no to many, many things and delayed your gratification. My parents, brought me up watching Mr. Jim Sammons, “Financial Freedom” videos:) What fun times and I’m glad they taught us to be frugal! Can’t say I’m Anywhere close to buying a home with cash (I’m an older single and out of a job right now; been a public school substitute the last four years) but I’m glad God has allowed me to live on a shoestring too:) Maybe someday I too will have your story.
    Lord bless,
    Michelle

• Katie W. says:

Congrats on your new home! GOD IS GOOD!!

Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy