MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

A Dream Come True: Paying Cash for Our First Home

When we walked into this house, we both instantly fell in love with it. It was everything we were looking for — and so much more! Best of all? It was in our price range.

While we both were a little antsy to go ahead and put a contract on it, we wanted to research out everything more thoroughly, think it through, pray about it some more, sleep on it overnight and bring both of our dads to investigate it again with us to make sure we weren’t missing anything which we needed to be aware of.

There were already quite a few showings scheduled, so we felt it was best to not piddle around. We scheduled a time to come back and look at the house the next day with our dads and then we went home to pray and think.

Once home, we researched flood plains, tax appraisals, register of deeds documents, homes in the area which had recently sold and how much they sold for and we spent a long time praying for wisdom. We wanted to be 100% sure God was leading us to put a contract on this home. We really didn’t want to practically clean out our entire bank account for something which was not His will for us!

And the more we researched and prayed, the more the lights turned green. Based upon the prices of comparable houses in the area which had recently sold and based upon what we felt the home was worth, we decided upon what we wanted to offer.

The next day, we went back to look at the home praying that if there was any reason we weren’t supposed to put an offer on the house, God would make it very clear to us. Well, in going through the house with a fine-toothed comb again, we only came to like it even more. And our dads really liked it as well and felt the offer we had decided upon was fair.

So, with great excitement, we signed the contract. And within a few hours, the sellers accepted!

We had a hard time believing it was really and truly for real. After talking, dreaming, working and praying towards the goal of paying cash for a house, it felt rather surreal that it had actually happened.

A few weeks later, we drove Old Blue Van into town and signed our names on the dotted line to become home owners. We were chuckling while driving there about how crazy it was to be driving a clunker to pay cash for a home. We felt a little out of place when we drove up to a parking lot full of shiny almost-new cars.

But, in a way, it seemed so fitting. Being content with a clunker instead of upgrading to a newer car was just one of the many reasons we were in a position to pay cash for a house.

After signing the contract and getting the keys, Jesse and I headed over to our new home. It is hard to describe the feelings which washed over us when we pulled up into the driveway. To see our dreams come to fruition. To see the sleepless nights and long days of working and saving pay off. To see the realization of years of scrimping.

It was far from a fleeting momentary giddiness; it was a deep fulfilling feeling in the bottom of our souls. By the grace of God, we had paid cash for our first home.

And we knew beyond any shadow of a doubt that God is good. We stepped out in faith and obedience at the beginning of our marriage to follow His leading to be counter-cultural and follow the Biblical principle of “owing no man anything” (see Romans 13:8). It has been far from easy and there have been many times when we’ve wanted to give up and give in. But as we’ve stayed faithful and obedient — even when the going got very tough — He has blessed that obedience and faithfulness far beyond our wildest imaginations.

Without God’s blessing and provision, we would never have been position to pay cash for a home. But He has seen fit to bless us with a spacious home that meets and exceeds all of our expectations. And it’s a testament to His goodness and graciousness to bless His children with good gifts. It is our heart’s desire that we be wise stewards of this home He has entrusted to us.

305 Comments

• Jessica says:

WOW, amazing story! Congratulations! Are you still pinching yourself to see if it’s for real?? 🙂 Thank you so much for sharing your story…it is inspiring to many!

• Missie says:

How wonderful! God is indeed a good good God!

And to think that one day, your children will rise up and thank you for being obedient and willing to put aside temporary pleasures for something longer lasting and beneficial to the whole family.

You are going to be able to totally rock the Freezer Cooking Days in that big ole kitchen!

• Diana says:

Gorgeous! “Delight yourself in the Lord, and He WILL give you the desires of your heart!”

• Nicole says:

Beautiful, congratulations!

• Lis says:

Crystal, Congratulations! We are so happy for you.

• Jen says:

Amen! What a testimony! God bless you and your family in your new home!

• Janie says:

God is good! What a wonderful blessing you have received. Can’t wait to see more pictures!!!

• Lori says:

Crystal, I am so happy for you! What a testimony to so many people. Not only of the fruits of being frugal, but also of God’s grace and provision. May God bless you richly in your new home.

• Anshu says:

Crystal,

I’m so happy for you. Your perseverance and faith has finally paid off.
    Congratulations from the bottom of my heart.

Anshu

• Nancy says:

What a gorgeous kitchen! Many congratulations are due–not just for the wonderful house, but for what you did to earn and save for it. And now it’s all yours. Really yours and not a bank’s! So exciting!!

• Laura says:

What a large, beautiful kitchen! Congratulations on your new home and achieving such an amazing goal!!! Wishing you many, many happy memories in your new home!

• Jaime says:

Congratulations!!!! I’m so happy to see this finally happen for your family. Following your updates last winter is how I first discovered Dave Ramsey’s plan and you have inspired me to change my family tree. I hope to someday post on here that we were able to pay cash for a house. Enjoy your paid for home!!!

• Elisabeth Speitelsbach says:

Crystal, this is such a beautiful house! So welcoming too…I feel like paying you a visit in it! Are you going to share more pictures of the rest of the house? We’ve been following your story here so long, that I wouldn’t mind being able to picture it better in my mind! The kitchen is the best place to take pictures anyway, though. I understand if there are privacy issues to be concerned about.

I’m so glad you are blessed with such a lovely house! May it serve you well in the years to come as your family grows up.

• Megan says:

I love this post! What a great feeling it must have been to pay upfront and then get to walk into your new house – free and clear. Congratulations!

I’m wondering if you got an inspector to check out the house before you bought it? It seems like there are so many steps to buying a home! Congrats again – what a very special milestone!

• Crystal,
    Congratulations! Isn’t it awesome what God can and will do when we do things his way. He truly gives us the desires of our hearts.

Thank you for the inspiration and reminder!

Yay!!

• Tina says:

All the glory goes to God!!!! Thank you for living it out before all of us. This reminds me of the man who broke the 4 minute mile. No one thought it could be done. The following year more broke it. You (by God’s grace) have broken the barrier of always having a mortgage payment. My race is next!

• Debbie says:

Dear Crystal,
    I’m so very happy about your accomplishment. I concur with the others that your kitchen is beautiful. I’ve been following your blog for a little over a year now and have always admire how you put God first. He is truly the captain of your ship. My husband and I own our rental home outright, but sadly we pay about a $1,000 in interest each month on our primary residence. Once I read this, I realize that we can pay this mortgage off if we put our minds to it. Today, as I read your post, I commit myself to paying off a $238K mortgage in 7 years. We are blessed with a great income and with God’s help, I hope to some day write to you to tell you to tell you that I’m no longer a slave to the lender.
    Thank you for sharing your story; you’ve been an inspiration!

• Maria Miller says:

Congratulations! I hope you’ll post more pictures in the future.

Kitty

• Crystal says:

I got chill bumps reading this! Praise God for blessing yall’s hard work and dedication to staying in HIS will. Thank you so much for posting this and inspiring others thru your ministry. This truly has made my day and I’ve never even met you! God is so good all the time! Many more blessings sister!

• cat says:

Crystal, congrats!! Your story is very inspirational and thanks for sharing it with us.

• candy says:

congrats!! God is so good! 🙂

• Angella says:

Congrats on your new home. It is so pretty! What an exciting financial goal to meet!

• Amy says:

Congrats, Crystal! That is a lot of work and a beautiful house!

• Tara says:

I love the house! I am inspired.

• Angie says:

CONGRATULATIONS CRYSTAL!!! What an amazing story (and great looking kitchen, btw). You have been such an inspiration and I think I have mentioned you on multiple occassions in the last several FPU Alumni Events I have hostedin our area. I’m sure the group will continue to hear more about you – and visit your site often.

Enjoy the fruits of your labor!

• Courtney says:

Congrats!! I’m inspired also! I love your kitchen…looks like the perfect place for a freezer cooking day! Enjoy 🙂

• krystal and kaylene says:

Congratulations on your house. I am so happy for you and your family.

• deb says:

You are so right about paying cash…who cares what kind of car you drive…it’s yours and not the banks! Way to go and God bless you in the new home:)

• Kathy says:

Congraulations on your new home. It is beautiful.

• Lisa says:

what a testiment to God’s goodness!!! congratulations to your family!!!

• Chrissy says:

Outstanding Kitchen! Thank you for being such an inspiration. Can’t wait to see more!

• Danika says:

You deserve to be on cloud nine! You have worked hard for this day. I’m glad you didn’t settle for anything less. It’s beautiful! Congratulations!

• Andrea says:

What a blessing, Crystal. God has truly been good to your family. The kitchen is beautiful. Congrats!!

• Tara says:

I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU! That post brought tears to my eyes. Yes, God is good and He is receiving all of the glory through your testimony! Thank you so much for being such a wonderful testimony and sharing in how He is working in your life!

• Congratulations! I loved that both of your dads were involved in the process. I think it’s great to involve parents in big decisions like this, even if you’re an adult yourself.

I also love that all the pictures in this post are of the kitchen! I’m sure that’s what I would be showing off, too.

• darla says:

Beautiful! Congrats!

• Carol says:

Congratulations!!! It’s absolutely gorgeous!
    And a total inspiration to me. I’m believing God to be able to pay cash for our next house, and have been a bit bummed thinking that the only way we’ll be able to get a decent house is to buy a another fixer upper. (I’ve done that twice already, and I don’t want to move into another filthy dump and have to fix it up to make it nice, while I’m trying to live there!) Your post has encouraged me to dream bigger and not compromise……no matter how long it takes!! I could totally relate to your post about almost compromising because finding the house was taking so long. Thank you. Thank you!!

God is so awesome. It’s such a blessing to witness the power of a couple in agreement, and doing things God’s way. The blessing of the Lord truly makes you rich, and He adds no sorrow to it ! 🙂

• Melissa says:

Please….more pics!!! It’s beautiful!!! God is VERY good!!!

• Jacquelin says:

AWESOME!!!! Congratulations to you guys!!!!

• Sarah says:

Congratulations! What a beautiful kitchen! God is so good and faithful, thanks for the encouragement! 🙂

• Ohhh as I read your post my eyes got all misty and my heart soared with you in your excitement. Why you may ask? I guess it is because I soooooo understand your every feeling. At the beginning of last month we paid off our mortgage (paid it off in 7 1/2yrs). We feel out of this world honored and blessed to be in such an amazing place at 30 yrs old. It is worth every single effort and hard work to see our dream become a reality. I think people did alot of head shaking when we make some of the decisions we do. We are okay with that!

Congrats on your breaktaking kitchen…..I can see you with all your littles whipping up something wonderful! Hugs to you for all great things you share with others to inspire them.

• Becky says:

and I’m thankful for the blessing He has given you to be here for all of us as an inspiration!

• Leighann says:

I am so incredibly happy for you and your family…you all deserve this beautiful home. Enjoy!!

God Bless.

• Meghan says:

Congrats Crystal and family! I’m in absolute awe of your accomplishment and testimony. Keep it up:) ( I’d love to see more pics too..he hee)

• Congratulations Crystal, what a beautiful home! God is good!

Blessings,

Mary Ellen

• Rosy says:

YOu will be blessed! Best wishes on your new home 🙂

• Patti says:

Way to go! Best wishes to you in your new home!

• Kristen says:

Congratulations! What an incredible journey!

• Kris says:

How inspiring!! God is good!! Thanks for sharing your journey to home ownership. It has inspired my husband and I, we lost our house to foreclosure a few years back, it was a horrible experience. I planned on never buying another one, but you have made me realize I can pay cash down for one in the future. We live in Ohio so it is very feasible. But I wonder about people in high housing areas. My Mom and Dad live in British Columbia. My Mom is renting a 300+ thousand dollar apartment. It is not big, a small two bedroom. My Dad sold our family home for $350,000. He was saying to me when we discussed this topic that it would be impossible for him to save enough to buy a house in his area. I wonder how people in those areas can follow Romans 13:8? And I was thinking, if we rent, as my family does, are we not in debt in a way to our landowner? I’m curious what your thoughts are on these things? Thanks again for the inspiration. Your blog has changed my families life for the better!

• Jill says:

congratulations crystal and jesse-I know you and your family have made great sacrifices to get to this point, but so worth it! The kitchen is just beautiful and I know you will enjoy spending time there with your family!
    Jill