MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

A Dream Come True: Paying Cash for Our First Home

When we walked into this house, we both instantly fell in love with it. It was everything we were looking for — and so much more! Best of all? It was in our price range.

While we both were a little antsy to go ahead and put a contract on it, we wanted to research out everything more thoroughly, think it through, pray about it some more, sleep on it overnight and bring both of our dads to investigate it again with us to make sure we weren’t missing anything which we needed to be aware of.

There were already quite a few showings scheduled, so we felt it was best to not piddle around. We scheduled a time to come back and look at the house the next day with our dads and then we went home to pray and think.

Once home, we researched flood plains, tax appraisals, register of deeds documents, homes in the area which had recently sold and how much they sold for and we spent a long time praying for wisdom. We wanted to be 100% sure God was leading us to put a contract on this home. We really didn’t want to practically clean out our entire bank account for something which was not His will for us!

And the more we researched and prayed, the more the lights turned green. Based upon the prices of comparable houses in the area which had recently sold and based upon what we felt the home was worth, we decided upon what we wanted to offer.

The next day, we went back to look at the home praying that if there was any reason we weren’t supposed to put an offer on the house, God would make it very clear to us. Well, in going through the house with a fine-toothed comb again, we only came to like it even more. And our dads really liked it as well and felt the offer we had decided upon was fair.

So, with great excitement, we signed the contract. And within a few hours, the sellers accepted!

We had a hard time believing it was really and truly for real. After talking, dreaming, working and praying towards the goal of paying cash for a house, it felt rather surreal that it had actually happened.

A few weeks later, we drove Old Blue Van into town and signed our names on the dotted line to become home owners. We were chuckling while driving there about how crazy it was to be driving a clunker to pay cash for a home. We felt a little out of place when we drove up to a parking lot full of shiny almost-new cars.

But, in a way, it seemed so fitting. Being content with a clunker instead of upgrading to a newer car was just one of the many reasons we were in a position to pay cash for a house.

After signing the contract and getting the keys, Jesse and I headed over to our new home. It is hard to describe the feelings which washed over us when we pulled up into the driveway. To see our dreams come to fruition. To see the sleepless nights and long days of working and saving pay off. To see the realization of years of scrimping.

It was far from a fleeting momentary giddiness; it was a deep fulfilling feeling in the bottom of our souls. By the grace of God, we had paid cash for our first home.

And we knew beyond any shadow of a doubt that God is good. We stepped out in faith and obedience at the beginning of our marriage to follow His leading to be counter-cultural and follow the Biblical principle of “owing no man anything” (see Romans 13:8). It has been far from easy and there have been many times when we’ve wanted to give up and give in. But as we’ve stayed faithful and obedient — even when the going got very tough — He has blessed that obedience and faithfulness far beyond our wildest imaginations.

Without God’s blessing and provision, we would never have been position to pay cash for a home. But He has seen fit to bless us with a spacious home that meets and exceeds all of our expectations. And it’s a testament to His goodness and graciousness to bless His children with good gifts. It is our heart’s desire that we be wise stewards of this home He has entrusted to us.

305 Comments

• Rae says:

Oh Crystal that is a beautiful kitchen! Congratulations! More pics are coming soon right? 😀

• sara says:

Your home is beautiful. Congrats!

• Myra says:

Congratulations! It’s beautiful!

• What a blessing! It is so beautiful! Congratulations!

• Erin says:

Way cool!

• Lisa says:

Wow! Congratulations on your new home, it looks beautiful. I’m so happy for you and your family. And no payments, wonderful!

• Deidre says:

God IS good! Thanks for showing the fruits of your labors!!

• Jenny says:

Yay!! Love the kitchen!

• Sara says:

How wonderful!! You guys are a true inspiration of perserverence and honoring Him!! We hopefully can be in the same position soon!! Thanks for sharing that it can be done when you stay faithful to His plans!!

• Anne P. says:

I am so excited for you! I’ve been following you since the Biblical Womanhood days, so I’ve seen the journey you have taken to get here. Congratulations!
    I do have a question: you wrote once that you put the house savings into a mutual fund. Did you move it to somewhere else when you were ready to look, or did it stay in a mutual fund until you had to hand over the cash?
    Again, it is so wonderful to see God bless your trusting Him to provide!

• Kimberly says:

Wow!! This house (or kitchen anyway) is absolutely gorgeous! And to believe that every single inch of that space is owned free and clear by you and your husband! Our little joke each time we make the mortgage payment is that now we own a little bit more of the house….but you own it all! God has truly blessed your family….and you continue to be a blessing to all of us.

We would love to see any other pictures you may have to share. I’m sure for privacy you can’t show a picture of the exact house. Can’t wait to see what else you are willing to share with us!

• Ashley says:

Congratulations Crystal! God has truly blessed you! We would love to see more pics!!!

• Jen says:

God is so good! Congratulations on your beautiful new home and thank you for the inspiration!

• Autumn says:

I love your kitchen! How wonderful to own your home. Thank you for sharing all of this with us. You guys are both an inspiration to us.

• mary bailey says:

This was a beautiful story. Congratulations on your home-sweet-home!

• staceypunk says:

Wow, I can’t even imagine paying for a house in cash! You are a role model and your hard work has paid off!

• Karen says:

I love that kitchen!!!!! Congratulations–I teared up reading your post!

• Liz L says:

I have been waiting for this post!! I am so excited for you and want to thank you for being an inspiration to me and so many others. You totally deserve this!! Congratulations!

• Heidi says:

Wow! This brought tears to my eyes!

Though I’m not yet married or even receiving a steady income, your story is a great example to me and those like me to save and be frugal now. Thanks so much!

• Katie says:

I’ve been waiting for pictures! Thanks for sharing with us all!

• What a gorgeous house! Congratulations!

• Marie says:

God bless you! The home is beautiful and what a wonderful thing you did.

• Ann says:

I love that stovetop!!! great for cleaning!!!
    God has blessed you for your faithfulness, Crystal and we’re so happy for you

• It’s such a blessing watching what God will do when we get out of his way and follow his lead. Your journey has been an inspiration to many wives, moms and women. As you grow in favor with God continue to use your blog (ministry) to encourage us all to follow God in all things.

Your sister in Christ, Saidah!
    Congratulations!

• Mel says:

Hooray, Crystal! God is SO good! Enjoy YOUR (well, the Lord’s) home and may He bless others through it!

• Bonnie says:

Great job! Enjoy!

• Trish says:

What an inspiration!!! Brought tears to my eyes 🙂

• Renee says:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!
    You are such an inspiration!
    God bless you and your family!
    Enjoy your new house! 🙂

• ann says:

Congratulations Crystal!
    I’m very happy for you. May you get the best in every walk of life 🙂
    Cheers!

• Susan J says:

Thanks for the pictures! =) What a gift from God, and so amazing to see how He has led you. He indeed loves to give good gifts to His children, doesn’t He??

• Carrie says:

Congratulations! I’ve got tears here.

• Zoya says:

Congratulations!
    The kitchen/dining area looks magnificent, as, I’m sure is the rest of the house. So happy for you!

• Susan says:

Congratulations! Your story has inspired me to begin planning my own cash home. Thank you for your example of seeking God in all things and patience and perseverence.

• alison says:

Congrats Crystal! I am so happy for you and your family. You and your husband work so hard and deserve nothing but the best. What an amazing story!! Please post many more pics of you and your family in your new home!

• kirsten says:

We just bought our first home a few months ago. However ,We are making payments. It has to feel so good to own a home out right and having all your hard work pay off!!! Congrats! It’s a beauty!

• Victoria says:

Yay!!! God is truly good! And to think it’s just a hint of the home he is preparing for us forever! 🙂

• Megan says:

beautiful kitchen! you’re an inspiration to many, including us, who plan on having the 20K saved within the next 5 years for our dream home! thank you for the blog, it’s been amazing saving all of this money!

• Anna says:

Seriously…I’ve been waiting for this post ever since I started your reading your blog almost a year ago. It’s like I could hear angels singing, or like I was standing at the end of an awesome concert and I just wanted to stand up and scream and yell “WOOOOHOOOOO!!!” I am so incredibly happy for you and I don’t even KNOW you other than what you have blessed me with in sharing from your life and your heart on your blog. I am living vicariously through you right now. I am in a completely opposite situation, living in a home that is totally upside down in value/mortgage, and thinking I wish I could go back and do things differently. I have been encouraged lately that God can turn “curses into blessings” and I believe that He can use my situation for His good! I pray He does and stories like yours give me such a desire to continue to press on!

God Bless You and all the new adventures you will have in your beautiful, hard earned, God Blessed HOME!!!!!

• Heather says:

@Anna,
      Angles are singing!!! Thank you for living an obedient life and living it as an example for us. I know you are not perfect, but am SO excited for you!!!!!!!!!

• Amy says:

Wow! What a beautiful home. You are an inspiration to those of us who have done all of the “don’ts” first and are looking to get on the right track. Congratulations!

• Kim says:

The Father is so good to us!!!! Praise God for his blessings! Enjoy your new home.

• Dana says:

To God be the glory! Congrats on your already-paid-for new home! Maybe you should call Dave Ramsey’s radio show and brag a little! 🙂

• Becky says:

Thank you for sharing your photos! Wow this is great! Isn’t God the best!!

• Jennifer says:

Yeah! Your kitchen pics and post brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for including us in your journey. Rejoicing with you!

• Prathee Selvam says:

Congrats Crystal!! You’re really a role model!!

• Laurie A says:

Congratulations! May He continue to bestow his blessing upon you!

• Carrie says:

Wow. I’m in awe of your accomplishment. And are those wall hangings that you already put on your walls? I know these are post-move-in pics cause we all recognize that dining set from your grocery pics, lol.

More pictures, please!

• Diana says:

Congrats…what a blessing it is to read that it is possiable to have your own home debt free. My husband and I have been building our own home…debt free. We are at one of our down days/weeks….but, this is such a encouragement knowing if we are faithful, one day we will have it built. We are also at the point where do we ditch the clunker car…..which would put us behind getting our house done another year. Thanks so much for your emcouragement…couldn’t have came at a better time! God is Good!

• Amiee says:

That is such a great testimony. Enjoy God’s blessing, it is beautiful.

• Kellie says:

Congratulations on your new, paid for home! Your kitchen is BEAUTIFUL!

• alyssa says:

What a great testimony to God’s goodness! Congratulations on your dream come true! That’s awesome!
    I’m afraid we are far behind you guys in this area. Owning a home is not even in our thoughts, though we are going to be renting a home Lord willing very soon (that’s my little dream coming true! 🙂 We’ve been in an apartment, so a house is going to be a big plus, even if we are still renting! Our income, I might say, is way less, and we pretty much have no savings; but we are not in debt, which is a blessing. Housing is SO expensive, btw! But the Lord provides- we’ll just have to scrimp more to afford this new rent! Ya’ll are a great example on that one! 😉

1 2 3 6