MoneySavingMom.com
FREEBIE LIBRARY!

Half Price Books: Free $3 gift card each week you read 15 minutes/day

Splashpg-header09
Half Price Books has a great Summer Reading Program which you'll definitely want to check out if you have youngsters at your house!

Children 12 and under can earn a free $3 gift card to Half Price Books each week they read (or are read to) for 15 minutes at least five days. They often have books for less than $3 in their clearance section which will result in a free book per child each week!

This program runs through July 31, 2009. See more details here.

Also, if you're going to be heading into Half Price Books to pick up your free gift cards, you might also consider bringing in some of your extra books or magazines to sell to them for store credit or cash. I've heard they have pretty reasonable rates and it's a great way to get rid of things you no longer need or use in your home and earn a little extra cash while you're at it!

9 Comments

• Marie says:

They take pretty much everything! I brought in a box of very outdated curriculum books and college textbooks (that I was just going to put in the dumpster) and got $30 for it!

• Manatee Mom's Save says:

thanks for the tip. I love good summer programs like this – Borders also has a summer reading program.

• jessica says:

We did this last year also with our little girl (we read to her). Even in the regular section, little golden books are usually just $.99, and Early Readers / Dr Seuss are often 2.99, so you’re not just limited to the clearance section. If you have too many books already, there are also puzzles and activity pads.

• Amy L says:

You are inspiring!!!

• Aimee says:

Can this be done online? We don’t live near a Half-Price books. However, I would be willing to visit relatives near a location at the end of the summer.

• Becky says:

Oh man! I wish that we had one nearby b/c our library reading program is based on 15 minute increments this year too…could be a 2 for 1!

• Rachel says:

This is such a great program!! We enjoyed participating last summer and are so glad they are doing it again! Thanks for the reminder!

• Lindsey says:

Hi! Are you familiar with PaperBack Swap? That’s another GREAT way to get rid of books and get some you’ve wanted for about $2.50/book and not much trouble. It’s at paperbackswap.com. I also have a blog post about it at: http://thecrewsline.blogspot.com/2009/04/paperback-swap.html

It’s a pretty good deal. I’m also excited about this Half Price Books thing. I had already heard about it and asked the guy who worked there more about it. I think he was kind of making up answers as he went, but I don’t think you can use more than one coupon per book. (Like I have two kids, but I can’t use that $6 in credit to get a $6 book for free. I think.) But still a good deal. Free stuff!

• Michelle says:

I’m thrilled about this! Not only had I never heard of this store, but I didn’t know I had one nearby either! We read EVERY DAY, and this way we’ll get a few free books out of it. Thanks!

Money Saving Mom® Comment Policy