Sometimes, it’s easy to fall prey to believing that we’ll only be happier and more fulfilled when our circumstances change. But the truth is, those of us who live in first world counties have the ability to make choices that will affect how we feel.
If you ever wake up in a funk or you just wish you could spend a day at the spa but time and money aren’t at your disposal to do so, here are 27 Ways to Feel Happier — for free!
1. Hug someone.
2. Make a warm drink (coffee, tea, hot chocolate, or Decaf Chai Latte) and savor it.
3. Create a playlist of music that makes you happy.
4. Go outside and look up at the sky.
5. Write a note to encourage someone else.
6. Sing like no one can hear you. 😉
7. Take a walk.
9. Turn on some music and dance.
11. Watch a comedy clip on YouTube.
14. Organize something.
15. Send a text to tell a friend you’re thinking of her.
16. Tell someone thank you for something they’ve done for you.
17. Light a candle.
18. Bake something.
19. Smile at people today and see how many people you can get to smile back at you.
21. Listen to a podcast that inspires you. (This is one of my current favorite podcasts.)
23. Make someone else laugh.
24. Create something beautiful.
25. Sign up for some freebies. (Free makes me happy!)
26. Invite a friend over for tea or coffee.
27. Open up your windows in the morning and let the fresh breeze in.
What other ideas would you add to my list? I’d love to hear! Share them in the comments.
P.S. I highly recommend grabbing a copy of The Happiness Dare if you need encouragement and inspiration to add more “shots of happy” into your life.
So, I may have done quite the happy dance when I logged into my account at the beginning of September and discovered that finally I had earned the coveted Freebie Every Day of the Month reward from Panera. And it was one of the best rewards — a free bagel of your choice every day!
I’ve been trying to make the most of it… especially since I waited for months and months and months to get one of these rewards!
If you’re unfamiliar with how these rewards works, here’s a quick run-down:
- You need a MyPanera card that’s linked to your MyPanera account. You can sign up for a card by clicking the Join Now button here or in-store. You want to make sure that your card is registered at MyPanera (you can make sure it is by logging in online through the MyPanera sign-in button here.)
- Once you have your registered card, be sure to use it every time you visit Panera. You’ll earn rewards for doing so. You can log into your account to see how many visits you have left until you earn a reward.
- Log into your account regularly to see if they’ve rewarded you any extra bonus rewards. These are usually awarded based upon how often you visit and what you purchase when you visit.
Hopefully, if you haven’t gotten it already, you’ll be awarded a Freebie Every Day of the Month Reward, too, very soon! I’ve been loving all my free bagels + the free hot teas I’ve been earning, too!
After all, free is one of my very favorite words!
P.S. Do you have any great tips for ways to save at Panera? If so, I’d love to hear them!
On Labor Day, we drove to the Stillhouse Hollow Falls Trail (near Mt. Pleasant, TN) to hike to the waterfall with our friends the Pogues. We had a fantastic time and would highly recommend this hike. And best of all, it’s FREE!
The boys had fun doing a little “off trail” exploring of a tiny waterfall on the way to the big waterfall!
The weather was perfect and the hike was beautiful! There were a number of families with younger kids and quite a few people with dogs (dogs are allowed on the trail so long as they are on a leash).
The trail is 2/3 of a mile and was the perfect trail for kids to hike because it’s not too long to get to the waterfall but it’s still a nice jaunt. The kids had so much fun playing in the waterfall. You could even climb up behind it and sit!
A few things to note:
- The to the waterfall is downhill all the way. So the hike back is a bit more strenuous since it’s
- The temperature at the waterfall is quite cool. Keep this in mind if you go on a day that is not hot and sunny.
- We brought swim trunks for the boys and they ended up getting completely soaked. But they were mostly dry by the time we got back to the car.
- There are no amenities/restrooms. So keep that in mind!
- We brought water bottles and snacks and were definitely glad that we did since we were all thirsty and the kids were hungry after the hike!
Sign up for a free Organized Thanksgiving eCourse.
Looking for frugal fall family activities? Check out this great list of 25 Fall Activities for Families on a Tight Budget.